What were your best bargains?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by LaSalle82, Dec 16, 2015.

1. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

Part of the pleasure I derive from wet shaving is searching for bargains. Since I use vintage razors 98% of the time, I'm always searching eBay, antique stores and yard sales for my next treasure. However, if that next great find is also a great bargain, that's a double score. I'd have to say that my top bargains were all found on eBay and are the following; '67 Black Handle Super Speed ($6.99), tub of TOBS Lavender ($5.00) and Ever Ready 500 PB badger brush ($5.24). So I spent $17.23 (shipping incl) on 3 items that are staples in my rotation. I'm sure others have done way better so what are your best bargains?

bargins.jpeg

I think I'll use this set-up tomorrow..................

Kizurra, preidy, Recklesstr and 3 others like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The DeFitch razor was the best bargain for me this year. Although I was on a shave gear sabbatical, I could not pass up this great little razor for just $5. I also got free shipping because I signed up for Amazon Prime free for 30 days. I recently cancelled the AP, so it didn't cost me anything.
    [​IMG]
    @LaSalle82 , your deal was a real bargain, too. When you can get quality like that for around $5, it is enough to make any guy break his sabbatical. Excellent ensemble.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  3. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

That sounds hard to beat for such quality items. I salute you. :happy096:

Kizurra, BigCabDaddy and LaSalle82 like this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Interesting. I started scrolling through the razor purchases made in 2014 and 2013 and there is a rather significant difference in prices two years ago.
    I think 2014 and 2015 brought a whole new awareness especially to vintage DE razors. - and with that a rise in prices.
    SE razors appears to still be lagging behind a bit as far as pricing goes with some exceptions (vintage lather catchers being one).
    It will be interesting to see what 2016 brings.

Kizurra, LaSalle82 and Robyflexx like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I picked up a full set of super speed 1958 razors for $45. It included a cased Super Speed, a cased TV special, a blue tip, and a red tip. All in excellent condition.

A few years ago I picked up a razor lot for $100 Canadian. Two Fatboys and a Slim. Not exactly a bargain then, but I suppose it would be considered one now.

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I bought my Schick Type F in original case for about $70. Not super cheap but it's in great condition and I dread what I'd have to pay for it today.
    Thing can sure change in a year or two.

LaSalle82, Kizurra and youngunn like this.
  7. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

The DeFitch sure was a bargain at $5 for a quality razor. I picked up a great Eversharp Schick type G1 in case with injector cartridge for $15 early this year I believe.

LaSalle82, Kizurra and BigCabDaddy like this.
  8. RainmanJH

RainmanJH Member

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

I antiqued shopped a couple dogs early on. Paid too much for bad gear. Having fed the RAD, now I consider before purchasing. My little corner of the world is still slightly Mayberry. Decent straights and vintage Gillette's to be had for less than a twenty.
    I've been distracted from a $14 straight by a $5 Fatboy.
    SOTD 11292015.png

Kizurra, youngunn, Recklesstr and 2 others like this.
  10. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

11. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Now this is a thread I can get behind! But honestly I've never been very good at it no matter the subject of my hunt. My motto should be something like, "buy high, sell low." I've got some "fair" bargains so far like a new Omega 48 Pro for $10 or that Red Tip I've been showing off for $20, but nothing crazy. What balances it out though is the generosity of the wet shaving community. I've had people out of the blue offering to send me stuff, sending more than I paid for, etc. So for me, the people are probably the best "bargain" I've found. I can't remember a nicer bunch.

Marverel, Kizurra, DonMac and 5 others like this.
  12. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I picked up a lot of 6 razors on the Bay for $42. In the lot was this Schick type F. The other 5 razors were decent vintage Gillettes that were worth the $7 ea I paid.
    [​IMG]

Marverel, Kizurra, Red Rider and 6 others like this.
  13. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Either this Dubl Duck Goldedge for $25 at a yard sale:
    [​IMG]
    Or this Filarmonica for free!
    [​IMG]

Kizurra, '65 G-Slim, youngunn and 6 others like this.
  14. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

I recently picked up a lot of 10 brand new Parker razors BIN off Ebay in various flavors that were advertised as no name razors made in India, for $60.00 with free shipping. Thrilled beyond belief!

LaSalle82, Kizurra, Herm2502 and 2 others like this.
  15. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

You dog

Kizurra likes this.
  16. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

One of my best deals was at a local estate sale. There was online bidding, but only one other person bid. For $20 I picked up a 1969 Black Beauty, a 1964 Slim, a later model Gem SE, an unbranded OC, an extra DE handle and a New Standard. Sold the BB and the Gem, PIF'd the Slim and kept the rest.

LaSalle82, Kizurra, RyX and 3 others like this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

My best bargain of 2015 was the RazoRock Plissoft at $9.99, this brush is worth much more.

LaSalle82, Kizurra, Herm2502 and 2 others like this.
  18. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you. It's kind of ruined me.

Kizurra and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  19. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Not razor-related, but I picked up a pair of excellent condition First chaps for $21.50 (plus $10 S&H). Close to 90% off what they run new.

[​IMG]

Kizurra and BigCabDaddy like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

And they are sold out... I wanted to be ruined for $9.99!

LaSalle82, Kizurra and BigCabDaddy like this.