What's A Penny Worth?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

A lot, in this auction! :D

Not sure how that happened, but I'll take it!

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

The copper is worth more than the penny.

3. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I don't think pennies even have any copper in them anymore. In this case, however, the penny was quite mighty indeed!

4. JayKay

I dont get it. The link takes me to a $26 NIB superspeed.

5. JimR

JimR Active Member

the winning bid was 26. The bid before was 25.99.

Did you win that one, My Simian Friend?

6. apswartz

apswartz New Member

I think pennies are a zinc copper alloy.

Was 26.00 your maximum bid?

7. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

ebay 101:
    if you bid x.99, you are asking to be outbid by a penny. You are better off bidding (x+1).01, so you can be the one outbidding by a penny. ;)

8. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

Pennies contain copper.

Ebay 102: Since the $26 bid came first, it needn't meet the bid increment requirements. This is one of the rare cases when someone actually was outbid by only a penny!

9. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

actually, the 25.99 came first, but since the bid was not up to the 25.99 point yet due to proxy bidding only driving it up to $5.49, the $26 qualifies as good. I have actually lost an auction where I bid my max, and it happened to be the previous bidders max also. He won by 0 cents.

10. hoglahoo

I stand corrected!

11. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

Nice!

That sucks!

12. JayKay

Gotcha. First time I've seen the redesigned page with the bidding history on it.

13. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Yes I did! :D

Yes to this, also!

When an auction ends, you can click on "bids" to see the history. That was the page I linked to so people could see more readily what I was talking about. This is what you expected to see.

14. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

ebay 103: always bid $500 over your max bid. youll always win.

:happy088

15. apswartz

apswartz New Member

I wonder about the maximum bidding. It seems to be pretty easy to sniff it out. Notice the other bidder had plenty of time to raise the bid, but didn't.
    :signs002

16. hoglahoo

Unless another bidder has also taken ebay 103!

17. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

What probably happened is that the other bidder set a max proxy bid of $25.99 that triggered when my snipe came through with 5 seconds left in the auction. At this point, the weirdness that that we are discussing took place -- I won by a penny. This is why I snipe. I don't like to give other bidders any reaction time.

18. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

ugh, one of my biggest fears :scared002

19. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

I signed up for ebay a month ago, and after looking around for something to bid on, i finally found a straight a couple of weeks ago.
    i made my bid and checked in on it every day to see if someone outbid me. The picture of the razor was very bad and with only one other bidder, i figured i had it made.
    As the final seconds ticked away, i was as exited as a little kid on christmas eve...BLAM! :shocked031 I got sniped.
    Account closed.

20. hoglahoo

Weeks to make a bid? last month I made almost 150 bids and even though I lost almost every single one, I came away with a handful of great deals. Don't close your account just because you didn't get exactly what you wanted for the exact price you wanted! Unless of course that's really what you want to do :)

PS I wonder if I sniped you? :sport026