What's in your bag this trip?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Optic1, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Optic1

Optic1 New Member

I'm traveling a lot again and thought, gee, I wonder what people are packing in *their* on the road shave kits. Here is a commentary on mine together with a few pics as we go..... though I guess that'll have to be the post after this one...

First off, this is for checked baggage, which has a tendency to get lost and sometimes not be retrieved so nothing too too pricey or fancy - just what I think of as solid essentials.

I'm not including any AS or Colognes this trip as Ive some items on order from Mama Bear which haven't arrived yet and I've yet to decant the Bay Rum I got from Vintage Blades into a small travel bottle - BTW anybody got any suggestions on what kind of bottle to use (dont say unbreakable.....)

2. Optic1

Optic1 New Member

Heres the follow up to "this trip"

I started with a Merkur travel razor (I cant praise Jim at Vintage Blades enough, his customer service is superb).... was just taken aback at the size of the thing in its case...

[​IMG]

Ive added a pack of German Wilkies, mainly for the disposal slot in the rear of the pack but in this shot it gives you a good idea of the size of the encased razor.

Here it is out of the case; 4 pieces, the handle being in two sections which nest one inside the other - the head appears to be identical to a standard Merkur head.

[​IMG]

The whole thing screws together and you're ready to go.

[​IMG]

For a travel brush and stands I got a small Vulfix 1000A and an acrylic stand. The stand gives good protection when packed Irally wasnt taken with the travel brush in tube that L'Occiental (SP?) had at the local mall. Nor its price given the hazards of travel.

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of my bits set out on a tray provided by the Hotel (yes, I'm on the road again) - I'm also traveling with an Alum block and styptic pencil (courtesy Vintage Blades, thanks Jim!). Regrettably I forgot to put my Thayers Witch Hazel with Lemon out for the photo but I do have a small sample size with me. The soap for this trip is Mama Bears Basil Lime - so far I've got at least six of her soaps and just love them. What I have to work on is layered AS and or colognes for them (but Ill save that for another post).

[​IMG]
    and

[​IMG]

The hotel here has kindly provided a selection of 5 fluids and 2 soaps everything from Mint Mouthwash to Yuzu Bergamot moisturizer....

[​IMG]

not to mention a rather nice nook in which to enjoy them.

[​IMG]

So, what's in your bag this trip?

3. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Checked Baggage:
    Feather Travel Razor
    Double Edge Blade of Choice - Usually Feather
    Triple Milled Soap or Lined Container of Cream
    Tweezerman Wooden Handle Brush

You're right, luggage gets lost and the stuff I bring is expendable.

Carry-on:
    De Razor and Blade is switched out to a Gillette Sensor

4. Optic1

Optic1 New Member

Yeah, I wasnt sure about DE blades as carry on - I mean I know TSA would have a fit and all but would they actually recognize it for what it was in a head on a broken down travel unit like the one pictured on an XRay?

Sigh.

5. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

I seem to be a bit of a road warrior lately; fortunately it doesn't involve air travel. This allows me to be a little more free with my choices.
    C&E pure travel brush in tube
    small handthrown bowl
    1904 w/ assorted blades (never know in what kind of mood you'll wake up)
    2 oz tub of Nomad
    small bottle of witch hazel
    small bottle of coral skin food
    Packs small enough while still allowing me to enjoy my time at the sink. Have a great night!

6. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I travel 85% of the time for work. All of my travel time is by car within the state of Texas. I can carry a larger selection of items to include my straight razors and strop. I carry a selection of soaps and creams in tubes or sample size selection. I carry Pinaud Clubman in the plastic bottle as well as a Proraso ASB and a number of edt samples. This is in addition to the basic toothbrush, toothpaste and mouthwash.

For example this week:

English straight razors
    Shavemaster V100 brush
    Scorpio Lemon Shaving soap
    Scorpio Goat Milk Shaving soap
    Proraso ASB
    Hydrolast COnditioner ASB Lavender
    EDt's
    Masters AS
    SS flare tip with IP for touch ups
    Scorpio Travel Strop

Raf

7. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Optic...for travel bottles, try these...leakproof, different sizes.

I'm thinking of ordering this kit of different sizes. Can't beat the price.

8. Optic1

Optic1 New Member

Ah, excellent. I'll have to get an assortment. Thanks for the lead.

9. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

You're welcome. The enabler strikes again. :D

10. DMS

DMS New Member

I just got back from a week and a half on the road. Shaving gear in checked luggage:

Gillette Slim Adjustable
    Derby Extra blades
    5/8 Straight, Columbia
    2 sided paddle strop
    C&E travel brush in tube
    Proraso Red cream (wheat germ)
    MB Bay w/Tangerine soap
    Aqua Velva Musk
    L'Occitane Cade A/S splash
    Alum block

I ended up using the Slim adjustable and Proraso red cream most days, pretty much alternated 50/50 between the two aftershaves depending on mood. It's a pity this cream has been discontinued.

11. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I have a standing travel kit I always bring along when going away..

Gillette Flared Tip Superspeed
    Derbys
    Muehle Custom Silvertip travel brush
    Muehle Ocean Ss
    Floid AS
    Mama Bear Docs Northern Dragon Cologne (in 10ml Atomizer)
    Mama Bear Beau Brummel Cologne (in 10ml Atomizer)

Works wonders every time !

12. Optic1

Optic1 New Member

Noticed you're living in Linkoping - I used to live in Goteborg many years ago.

13. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Cool! Drop me a note if you ever return to Sweden! Why Gotherburg..

14. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Agreed that a three piece is typically the best thing for travel. I will probably bring my 1904 clasic on my next holiday. it does not see much action these days in the shave den since it has been surplanted by the super speeds in terms of shave quality. I guess that its a good idea to get it out of the den.

15. Optic1

Optic1 New Member

<<Why Gotherburg..>>

My father was contracting to Eriksberg at the time so off we went.... 6 years in Sweden.... WoooHoooo!

16. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I hardly travel lately (for extended periods of time), but on the most recent trip (back in March?) I had the following with me:

Merkur Slant Bar
    Derby Blades
    The Gentleman's Quarter Orange & Patchouli Shave Soap
    Aqua Velva Classic
    Weleda Aftershave Balm

17. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

I dont travel much.....

[vbpg]577[/vbpg]
    but when the family unit goes away for a break I take with me:

1950-ish SS (but I just was gifted a golden Tech by Bronco I'll prolly use from now on)
    Feather Blades
    Simpsons Super Chubby1
    Musgo Real Cream
    AV MUSK AS splash (altho I gots me some Musgo real AS splash since my last trip :rolleyes:
    Knize Ten EdT

18. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

What do you do for the bag to take it all in? Do you put them in your carry on or the bag you check?

19. murchmb

murchmb Member

I have an cheap nylon toiletries bag and load it with:

40's SS w/ an old Feather blade container containing a couple of Feathers and IP's
    AOS Pure Badger brush in an empty toilet paper roll tube (a bit redneckish, I know)
    Mama Bear or Proraso soap (something with a lid)
    Small atomizer of Thayer's
    Proraso or CAR Hydrolast ASB

20. Optic1

Optic1 New Member

I've got an old travel bag - sort of a rectangular thing that I keep packed for travel though I keep my travel brush on the shelf on its stand to avoid mildew etc. Generally there is an MB screw top soap in there, a dedicated alum block, dedicated Thayers Witch Hazel (sample size), mini styptic etc. and of course the little Merku Travel razor I showed im my original post. Still working an a dedicated AS/Cologne.

Wish MB did sample sizes of AS Milk/Cologne etc. just to save us the decanting /repackaging hassle & attendant spills --- maybe as a special order, I'll have to ask.