Whats the deal with Family Dollar Old Spice AS?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Geo, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Geo

Geo Active Member

Hiya Guys,

I have seen this crop up here and there and I see that Leo K. has some. What i want to know what is the deal with the FD OS????

Is it really the same formula as the original just now Famil Dollar sells it as Spice AS??

I have heard people say it smells closer to the original than the original????? :confused:

did Family Dollar steal the recipe or something??? I did smell it and it does smeel different than the new P&G OS AS

Sooo anyone in the know know anything :signs002:

Leo K. likes this.
  2. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

No, just a cheap knockoff. Scent lasts even less time than OS does. But, if it works for you, and you like it, it's very inexpensive! It's your aftershave, enjoy it your way!

Leo K. and swarden43 like this.
  3. Geo

Geo Active Member

Thanks, i have never tried it,I have smelled it and it smells OK but iam not tempted to buy it. Just currious tis all

4. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

5. Geo

Geo Active Member

Interesting read huh who would have known :)

6. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I read this post and decided to stop by Family Dollar and purchase a bottle. I just got done shaving and gave it a try. I'm with you my friend, I really like this stuff especially for the total price of $2.10. I applied it about three hours ago and it's still going strong. It will definitely be in my rotation now. Thanks so much for the tip.

7. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'm glad you agree, I just love this stuff!

8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I use it and like it also...It's definately the right price and easy to find locally. Interesting about Family Dollar and CVS possibly selling the same product under different names. I've never checked are the prices of Family Dollar and CVS old spice comparable? I've never tried the CVS old spice...:)

9. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Does this stuff have Castor Oil in it like the P&G stuff?

10. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

My Family Dollar sells the Spice $1.95 and CVS sells it for $4.95. I too have never tried the CVS brand and don't think I will at that price.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  11. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Doesn't appear it does. The ingredients listed on the bottle are: SD alcohol 39-C, water, propylene glycol, fragrance, benzl alcohol.

12. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've never used the CVS brand either and I agree for that kind of price difference I'll take a pass. At that price I'd just as soon buy the genuine P&G Old Spice..Although I'm liking the FG spice smell alot and I think for the money I'll just stick with it....:)

BigT likes this.
  13. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I guess it wouldn't be too hard to add some castor oil. There's a Family Dollar on my way to work. I'll stop off there one day soon.

14. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Don't be upset if they are out. My Family Dollar sells out usually the day they get it in. This should really say something about the product.

15. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

CVS is kinda expensive IMHO. On most things.

BamaT and Lexicon Devil like this.
  16. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

This

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  17. Littlemax

Littlemax Member

I have had OS in my rotation for many years. After trying the Family Dollar Spice I agree it is very similar to OS and the scent has a nice longlasting aroma. For the price I will stick with the $1.95 Family Dollar Spice.

18. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I just mixed my latest batch of "Old Spice": 50/50 P&G Old Spice & Vi-Jon (Family Dollar, CVS, etc.). It is an inexpensive approach to the original OS scent. I will still break down at some point and order some of the original Shulton from WCS, but it is sure expensive for 50 ml.

[​IMG]

19. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The closest store to me is 82 miles, not that close! I really like OS. I have a bottle but it's not the stuff from India. More like New Jersey.

20. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

......or Canada. FYI-The CVS and other drugstore chains are private label Vi-Jon too.

If you like the current P&G Old Spice, that is great too!