What's The Deal With Pre-Shaves??

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Maximumsmoke, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

When I got my first vintage safety razor I made my own PSO, which included vitamin E oil and glycerin. I cant remember where the recipe came from. I was convinced it was contributing to my great shaves, and I cant say that it didn't. It definitely gummed up my razor and the works, so I didn't make another bottle. I didn't notice any change in the shave, either before or after, so I just quit using a PSO. After deciding to try cold water shaving, my pre shave "lotion" is a few healthy splashes of coooold water. I feel that it does improve how my skin feels, both during and after the shave. Id be hydrating with water anyway, so the cold seems to tighten up and prepare my skin for the blade experience. I really enjoy shaving more since I switched to the cold water use, and do feel that using it as pre shave makes a difference. Hey, perception is reality lol.

2. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Never tried any. Just a hot wet towel for about 30 seconds - always works.

3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Another opportunity for me to paraphrase Jack Palance doing his Skin-Bracer ad:*

I don't need some fancy pre-shave oil to get my beard set for a good shave. I use bodywash 4 Men in the shower, it feels great. ........Confidence is sexeehhhhh, don't you think? :)

Yeah, I know...I keep doin that!!

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The hubby & I both love pre-shave oil. We find that it reduces razor friction.

Primotenore likes this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I waaaaaay too lazy. Splash on warm water, lather, then shave. That all said I like a shave balm when I'm done.

6. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I’ve never found any benefit either although, I perceive some small benefit, after washing my face and letting the lather dwell a minute, to smearing a little hair conditioner on my face if I happen to be using it on my hair that day.

7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Your skin may vary. That's pretty much it. I use oils and like them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

When I first went back to wet shaving, I used PSO. After a while I stopped using it and really didn't notice anything different. In fact I guess because my technique improved showed me I really didn't need it. There has been a time or two I went back to using PSO, just because I had a few days worth of growth. Could've been a psychological thing tho. Clearasil face wash before shaving seems to work better as my skin feels softer.

9. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

It's just to moisturize. If you don't suffer from dry skin, I doubt you will notice a difference. Most men don't use portion or moisturizers, so if you find you get nicks, cuts, or irritation, I highly recommend trying a couple of drops of oil or a light moisturizer as a pre-shave.

10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Exactly!

11. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I thoroughly agree, it reduces friction for a smoother shave. And again as already mentioned moisturizes too.
    At the end of the day, I get more comfortable shaves with and uncomfortable shaves without.
    YMMV, terms and conditions apply, yada yada yada.

Sara-s likes this.
  12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I think in the winter months the skin seems to need more moisturizing to get the whiskers softer for the razor blade edge to cut IMO.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I love looking at Karl's SOTD photos. He consistently uses AoS Lavender PSO as part of his routine. It must work for him and probably many others out there. If nobody found it beneficial, it wouldn't exist.

14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Indeed. I have to ask What's the deal with all these posts asking why others like preshave oil. We have different faces, simple as that. Really people are overthinking this.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Bookworm likes this.
  15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Som probably are. But I imagine some (who haven’t tried it) want to know, “Should I try this?”

16. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

And I think the answer is "If you want to give it a shot, go ahead".

Sara-s and jmudrick like this.