What's Yer Favorite Penhaligon EdT?

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Michael, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Glad I did. :D

2. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Hey, someone's got to try to straighten you out! I don't think it's working though.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I guess some things are impossible. ;)

4. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hi Michael,

Go to their website and write them a nice little note expressing your interest in their fragrances. They sent me a nice selection of samples for my wife and I, Free ;)

I have Hammam Bouquet and Castille so far and I love them both and my wife likes them too, IMO excellent scents that are high quality and last a long time.

I really want to get a bottle of English Fern, but need to shop around a bit.

5. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

Here’s how I classify Penhaligon’s eaux de toilette.

Citrus category
    Blenheim Bouquet: Obvious citrusy top notes, but not aggressive as it is balanced by a woody base of pine. The woody base is in my opinion not oriental. That’s the kind of citrus edt that I imagine a fine middle-aged gentleman would wear.

Douro/Lords: Douro still appears on their website, but is has regained its former name Lords. Contrary to Blenheim, Douro is strong, confident. The lemony notes remain. That’s the kind of strong citrus edt that fits an Armani businessman that tells you: “You’re fired.”

Racquets: Much lighter than Blenheim or Lords. More fresh than sweet/sugary. I think a young, thin, effeminate man, err, with a racquet in his hand, would wear it.

Warm, sweet category
    Love Potion n°9: It was discontinued. It originally was a temporary Valentine perfume and as it didn’t fit Penhaligon’s old London image, it was ditched. There are still remaining stocks in brick-and-mortar shops. Top notes of blackcurrant that soon turn into warm notes of cinnamon. If you can snatch a bottle and if you do love it, the only alternative is YSL’s Opium.

Endymion: Don’t be fooled by the description that lists citrus as the first ingredient. It is a very warm, sweet edt that has nothing to do with Blenheim, Lords or Racquets. For the record, I far prefer it to Floris’s Santal which I wouldn’t wear. The warm/sweet notes come from the mix of amber and musk. My only complaint is it doesn’t last long on me.

Opus 1870: Opus has sweet top notes of clove/amber that reminds me of Chanel’s Égoïste (NOT Égoïste Platinum), except it is followed by an all-front assault of pepper. That is a very interesting mix. It perfectly fits an upwardly mobile young executive who is not told “you’re fired” by his Douro-scented boss.

Fresh category
    Castile: My favourite edt with LP9. I first disliked it as it was radically different from my usual department store fragrances. Very fresh, mellow and flowery. “Neroli” does not mean “orange”. Almost unisex.

Quercus: In my opinion, the most consensual edt. I would describe it as a fresh, sophisticated CK One clone, and I don’t necessarily mean it in a negative way. Perfect for summer.

Other
    English Fern: A classic, but not for everybody. I like to sniff it, but I wouldn’t wear it. I prefer to use the shaving soap instead. Created in 1910 and totally different from modern fragrances. Very green, fresh notes that will make people think you just rolled in an English field.

Hammam Bouquet: The first Penhaligon’s edt. It is radically different from the rest of the line-up. It reeks of the old world atmosphere and is definitely not for everybody. I first hated it and did so for months. From time to time, I would sniff it and take a step back as I found it so offensive. It is HEAVILY floral. My sense of smell has evolved and I now like it. The only reason I won’t buy it is I don’t want to antagonise my friends. I won’t describe it, you have to smell it.

Finally, note Penhaligon’s has redesigned some packages:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

Thanks Yukio, for all the great info. Do you know when they changed the labeling and packaging?

7. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

They are currently changing them, but they still have stock to clear. Last Saturday I was at the Penhaligon store of Paris. The Douro line was still there and many products (Castile, Endymion, etc.) sported their old design. I bought the very last LP9 bottle the store had.

8. Padron

Padron Active Member

Thanks, I have been wanting to try the LP#9 but was afraid of the reports I've heard of the very strong clove smell. How do you like it?

I've seen the new Castile bottle on another forum and was wondering what the fancy label it was sporting was about.

Now I know.

THanks!!

9. Spirit_of_76

Spirit_of_76 Yardley Ninja

Hammam Bouquet all the way for me. Although English Fern deserves a mention.
    Hate the Castile.
    Regards,

Alex

10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Quercus ROCKS!

Jeff

11. Padron

Padron Active Member

If you like Neroli, Castile smells much better than Czech & Speake Neroli and lasts longer too.

12. Padron

Padron Active Member

I have a sample somewhere, I'll have to dig it out. :cool:

13. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency Member

I tried Opus, LP9 and Douro. I liked Opus and LP9 but I'm not a big fan of Douro. Opus is in my cabinet however and will be there for a long time if I can afford it. Too ba LP9 isn't available anymore because it was very nice as well.

14. mercV12

mercV12 Member

I have a bottle of Endymion. I like it but it's not my favorite. I've got to get the sampler. i'm intrigued by what I've heard about Quercus.

15. jnich67

jnich67 Member

Blenheim Bouquet and English Fern are my two favorites. They're on the "sophisticated" side and are among my heavy-hitters. Quercus is nice and clean - almost soapy. Great for a hot day.

Jordan

16. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I'll let you know after my samples arrive. Hope the wife likes her samples.

17. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Endymion
    Blenheim Bouquet
    English Fern
    Hammam Bouquet...takes a little to get use to

I do not like Castile at all!!!

Would like to try LP#9 and Opus...maybe someday

Raf

18. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I'll let you know in a week or so. The 10 vial men's/woman's sampler arrived today. Maybe I can get my wife to pick a favorite for her stuff.

19. moses

moses New Member

Wow,

Nice info Yukio. I've tried most all of them.

Favorites are:

Blenheim. I like the Lemon/Pine mix. Serious make you feel good/confidence builder factor. Not terribly romantic, but good for business, or just kicking about.

English Fern. Already described better than I can. Nothing like modern department store cologne (but then, neither is BB). Very very fresh. And green.

Opus. I love this stuff. Musty hamster bedding comments aside. Very very masculine. Woody. Peppery. Quite outdoorsy, to me.

Others:

Quercus. Eh. Boring.

Racquets. Pleasant. Sporting. Not sure I would wear it.

Endymion. Smells heavenly, actually. In a very warm way. Definitely the most romantic of the lot. I would probably only wear it when planning on being close to someone....

LP #9. Don't like it. Not remotely masculine to me. Endymion is a much better romantic scent.

Douro I don't really remember that well. Seemed nice, I guess.

Definitely feel free always to ask them for samples. They are pretty generous with them.

-Mo

20. Capt America

Capt America Member

I've got a question for you...

Do they notify you after you've e-mailed them expressing interest? Or do they just send it out to you without saying so?

I contacted them and said I was interested in buying some of their products, but being out here in Kansas I'm no where near any of their stories. And that I'd like a few samples just so I can get an idea of what they are like.

I did that last week and haven't heard a word back.