What's your best budget cream?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Rusty blade, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

What is your top pick for a budget shave cream (under $10)? Bonus points if you name a matching AS or ASB! A matching pair that comes to mind for me is Nivea Original shave cream and Nivea Sensitive ASB.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  2. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

Palmolive Classic

Leclec13, DaveL, crackstar and 5 others like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

4. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

CO Bigelow or Proraso cream with Proraso A/S

5. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Not sure what the current price or quality is like but a while back I got two tubes of The Real Shaving Co. "double concentrated" shaving cream. It's great stuff, a tiny amount gives a great amount of lather.

6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I will say it's my Rise Super Foam-based on the order I made with @RiseIntlGroup. Like gzp, I forget the exact cost of it all, but I got 11 shaving creams and 13 A.S. Cooling Balms, and it was somewhere in the range of $20-25.

7. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

La Toja

Paul6506 and Rusty blade like this.
  8. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Arko Extra Fresh. Hands down best cheapest cream I've tried.

Next Proraso, but it's more than 10 USD here, so I guess it doesn't count.

9. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Proraso

awk-m4, Rusty blade and Herm2502 like this.
  10. Rusty blade

Yes, I have been eyeing La Toja as my next purchase. What is the difference between the Classic and the Sensitive shave cream in the tube in terms of scent? Thinking of getting the ASB well...

11. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

This one, one the best I have found

Dave

12. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

Another vote for Arko

Rusty blade and tuxxdk like this.
  13. Rusty blade

There are several flavours of Arko shave cream. Is there one with a basic clean scent?

14. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

+1!

Rusty blade and Robyflexx like this.
  15. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

TBH, I'm not sure about the scents. The names have changed since I last bought one, but after a quick read, I think they're basically the same as back then - All lightly scented variations of "clean and soapy" with either a citrus or lavender base?
    We can discuss what a "basic clean" scent is, 'till the cows come home though :p Like the "barbershop scent", what it is depends on where,when and how you were raised

Rusty blade and tuxxdk like this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Kiss my Face. Hands down the best shave cream I've ever used, and at $7.99 for 11 oz., it's also the cheapest when priced per ounce.

17. TheManWithNoName

TheManWithNoName Well-Known Member

My experience is still fairly limited, but for me it's Nivea's Sensitive Shaving Cream. I purchased a 3.5 oz. tube at a discount with my Safeway Club Card for $4.99. So on a per ounce basis, it's not quite as a good of a deal as Ryan's Kiss my Face, but I'm still really pleased with this cream. And I use Nivea's Sensitive Cooling Post Shave Balm as well, though I use this after every shave, regardless of which soap or cream I use for my shave.

Rusty blade and LaSalle82 like this.
  18. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

I think for price points Nivea is very good I've never tried kiss my face but you can get original Old Spice lathering shave cream on ebay from India 70 grams for $5. Not sure how that translates into ounces

Rusty blade likes this.
  19. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

A quick question is the cream from Kiss My Face a lathering cream?

Rusty blade likes this.
  20. TheManWithNoName

TheManWithNoName Well-Known Member

Seventy grams is approximately 2.47 ounces. So at a price of $5 for 70 grams, that translates to $2.02/oz. That's not a bad deal, but when you factor in shipping—assuming the seller isn't shipping it for free—the price per ounce will be slightly higher (obviously).

If we assume a slightly higher price per ounce with shipping fees included, do you still think it's a good deal? I've never used Old Spice lathering shave cream, so I'm curious what would be considered a good deal for it.

Rusty blade likes this.