What's your experience with Kai Captain Titan Mild Blade (No Guard) on your shavette

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by SpeedyPC, Mar 7, 2017.

1. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

G'day Den

While I'm learning to used the IBC shavette with a Feather Artist Club ProGuard blade for a while and I would like to take some notes so I don't forget, and when the time comes maybe a month or two so I can start the next level without using the guard blade in my IBC shavette.

What's your experience with Kai Captain Titan Mild SE blade (No Guard) on your shavette is this blade is much sharper than the Feather Artist Club Professional not the Professional Super I'm talking about, do you believe the Kai Captain Titan Mild SE blade will be a better choice for me straight after using the Feather Artist Club ProGuard blade for at least a month or two months until my my non-dominant hand left is proficient enough to take the next level.

Cheers ;)

2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I found them to be very similar to the Pro, probably a little smoother. I think I got a couple less shaves out of them than the Pro. I would probably buy more, but they are stupid expensive compared to the Pros.

When it comes to using them in your IBC, I don't think you will find a hell of a lot of difference between the Pros and the Supers. The biggest difference in the Supers is width, so they give you more blade exposure. It isn't so noticeable in a shavette compared to a Mongoose, for instance.

3. SpeedyPC

@PickledNorthern also I've forgot to add and to tell you is I'm going to change the feather pro guard to Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (Guard) soon because I believe the blade is probably too sharp for me as my neck is a bit red.

4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Blade isn't too sharp. Red likely means angle was too high and you were scraping and not gliding. The guards may be teaching you to use pressure that is too great for a naked bevel.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  5. SpeedyPC

Also I find a bit difficult to shave on the neck going WTG on the first pass shave as I'm trying, do you normally shave ATG on your neck with your shavette on the first pass???

6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Honestly, I don't do Atg on the neck every day, and never on the first pass,but use wtg-xtg-maybe Atg. I don't chase Baby ever.

7. PickledNorthern

Bingo. I think the guards are an abomination. How can you have a light touch AND get a close shave when your razor blade it wrapped in "protective" wire? You can't. You have to use pressure.

I bought a package of the guards when I bought my first Feather SS. Best thing I ever did with the, was give them away.

You will have much better luck with the Kai Milds.

DaltonGang and Bama Samurai like this.
  8. SpeedyPC

Ouch :angry032: !! I believe the issue might be
    that is causing my problem I was shaving and keeping at 20 or 30 dec angle keeping the shank close to my face as possible am I 100% right

DaltonGang and Bama Samurai like this.
  9. PickledNorthern

The IBC has a very thin "spine", so it will allow you to use a really shallow angle. You will just have to experiment with how shallow it needs to be in order to work best. I find that I tend to start shallow on my ATG passes, and end up a little steeper on my ATG and cleanups.

DaltonGang, Bama Samurai and SpeedyPC like this.
  10. SpeedyPC

@PickledNorthern I'll give this a crack during my next shave, I'm writing this down so I don't forget thanks mentor :happy088: really appreciate your help.