What's your favorite commercial shaving cream??

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by The Shaving Zone, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

Well, you have me hands down but I detect a liking of Eastern European creams mixed in there. My favorite at his time Kapo. Lovely almost haunting scent, easily lathered and superb slickness. I like mild scents that makes my brain go into search mode and unfortunately my face doesn’t tolerate menthol. What is your favorite?

jgreenepa, Yehuda D and brit like this.
  2. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I also always loved Russian and other Eastern European creams. I used to travel to Russia on business very often and I would bring back a whole bunch of them. Unfortunately they don’t exist here in North America for the most part because the cost of shipping would be much too high and there’s also so little demand. Another thing is that Russia doesn’t use much, if indeed any English writing on their packaging so unless you can read and understand Russian you might not be interested in buying them. Luckily for me I speak, read, and write Russian with native fluency because I grew up with the language from my childhood.

jgreenepa, Paul Turner and brit like this.
  3. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I love Kapo as well, I assume you import it from the same outfit in Bulgaria that I do. But my handsdown favorite of the mass market creams is Cremo. I love the slickness, and the way it enhances the slipperiness of the various preshaves I use.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

Yehuda D, brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  4. Steveclarkus

I’m expecting 4 tubes of Kapo soon. I tried Cremo but we didn’t get along well.

Yehuda D and brit like this.
  5. jgreenepa

Steve:
    Cremo is definitely an acquired taste. I like it because it doesn't become white and opaque, and allows me to trim my beard and goatee more effectively. I find it really slippery when combined with the Grooming Dept's Preshaves. Have a great weekend!

Enjoy your shaves.

Jeff

Steve56 and brit like this.
  6. BardicDruid

BardicDruid Active Member

Old Spice in a tube from India, works great with the hard water here in Texas.

brit likes this.
  7. Steveclarkus

I have some and it lathers well but irritates my face. For some reason my face has become sensitive over the past year.

Yehuda D and brit like this.
  8. Steveclarkus

9. jgreenepa

brit likes this.
  10. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

Dumb "newbie" question here! Assuming you use cream from a tube with a brush? If so, direct onto the brush, or into another mug/bowl and then make your lather?

jgreenepa likes this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    This was my absolute favorite. Really sad it was discontinued.
    iu.png

Paul Turner, brit, BigD and 1 other person like this.
  12. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Mine too.......it was wonderful.

brit and Primotenore like this.
  13. jgreenepa

You can do it either way! With every shaving creme except Cremo, I put a dab on a wet brush and face lather. You could also put some into your lathering bowl/mug and proceed that way as well. Regular Cremo is not designed to be used with a brush, but rather to just be applied with your hands. Cremo does make a brush lathering version, but I've never used it. I prefer either Palmolive. Proraso or Kapo with a brush.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

brit likes this.
  14. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Hmmm, not sure what the parameters of this are, but I'll give it a shot.
    1. Proraso Single Blade Line
    2. Arko Creams
    3. Derby Creams
    4. Indian Shave Creams (Old Spice, Axe, SuperMax, etc.)
    5. Nivea Creams

For canned stuff;
    1. Barbasol, and only Barbasol

brit and jgreenepa like this.
  15. Steveclarkus

I use a bowl.

brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Jeff, if you like Creamo you should give Feather Hi Shave gel a try. Fendrihan carries now I think or you can order it from eBay or Amazon.

brit and jgreenepa like this.
  17. jgreenepa

Steve:
    I'm pretty well-stocked with Cremo which I've been using for years. What is it about Feather Hi Shave that's similar?

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

brit likes this.
  18. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

It’s very slick, doesn’t turn white (like you mentioned) and you can get three 230g tubes from Japan for $21 delivered from eBay.

jgreenepa and brit like this.
  19. jgreenepa

Thanks, Steve, I appreciate the information. I'll look into it. Fendrihan had it. Ordered. I'll give it a shot.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    brit likes this.