What's your honing set up?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by alpla444, Sep 28, 2017.

1. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Just a general question as to what you are using and what you started with for honing, ie have you changed your setup?
    I know for some people with a lot of stones they sometimes they may alter there setup dependant on the type of steel they are throwing on there stones.

To me it does not matter too much what stones you use if your getting edges you are happy to shave from then all is good, just curious what folks use these days. especially with the vast choice out there at the moment.
    I stared with Synthetics, then went with as many naturals as I could, now I lean towards a more synthetic set up.

For me

Chosera 1k
    Suehiro Cerax 3k or Dalmore Blue
    Tam O Shanter
    Norton 8k
    Suehiro Gokyumo 10k or Thuringan
    Suehiro Gokyumo 20k or Charnley Forest

I started on a Norton set 1k, 4k and 8k but the 1k was way to thirsty for me

Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I Learned to Hone on a Lapping Film Progression..I Moved to a Naniwa Super Stone Progression with a 1 K Chosera for My Bevel Work..I have Always Kept 1 Micron Film = 16 K in My Honing Regime..I Mostly Use Natural Finishers these Days..16 K Escher Thuri, 20 K Surgical Black Arkansas, 12 K + Belgian Coticule & 20 K Yellow Lake..:)

I Do Tend to Use a Particular Stone with What I Reckon May Suit a Particular Steel..My Escher Thuri is Usually My Go Stone for Honing Razors for Other People..Although I Use Em All Very Frequently..Just Cause I Like Using Natural Finishers & Of Course the Wonderful Edges..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

alpla444, Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  3. 1976MGB

1976MGB Active Member

Chosera 1k
    Naniwa SS... 3, 5, 8, 12K
    I also have, but rarely use 2, 1 , .5 micron diamond spray on Modular paddle hard felt, balsa w/ chromium oxide, and some pasted hanging strops one with .25 micron CBN. Also king 1/6 and 8k and CNAT, and a whole lapping film set up.

Usual routine is naniwa progression , linen and leather..

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I have quite a few hones :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even more than what are in these pics, I only keep "Working Hones" I don't Collect rocks for the sake of collecting them..

There are certain things I have learned over the last 10 years of honing professionally

The Naniwa SS set is what I always recommend when asked, they are a solid smooth system and in the right hands you will be hard pressed to beat the edge they produce at any price..
    They are my goto set for Chippy razors, ie: New Customs, Wacker, Revisor, Harts etc: theses razor are very prone to microchips and the Naniwa SS with a misty slurry is a great solution to them at a reasonable price.

The Shapton GS series are about as simple as it gets, but they are expensive, especially if you get the 30k and the GDLP ..
    I also have found that many razors simply cannot hold the edge the hones are capable of producing, so this stupidly expensive set up is relegated to mostly Vintage American steel with its super fine grain now

Nortons are simple and easy and can produce a great shaving edge

My goto set is the one I never recommend to people, stupidly expensive and honestly you wouldn't much like the edge produce off the 10k as a shaving edge..

Naniwa Chosera/Pro 1-5-10k is what I use every day followed by a natural finisher to match the steel as I see fit..
    They are fast very accurate and leave VERY shallow Stria behind, setting the bevel up for the following finisher..

As to what I think is the best finisher ???? I don't have one, it basically depends on the steel I am finishing and that might not be the same for you.. They all work and all with produce excellent shaving edges, matching them with the steel is simply a matter of experience and feel..

anyway that was my 2 pennies

5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Some shave to hone, some hone to shave:)
    I use the Norton 1,4,8k stones and finish on 1um lapping film. I also have an Arkie, but am personally not that fond of the edges.
    This is simple enough set up for me and I am totally satisfied with my edges and the comfort of the shaves. I also have a couple barbers hones for edge maintenance. So I have a basic, simple set up, so I can hone to shave:)

6. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Naniwa SS 1,3,5,8 Shapton ceramic 12k and then usually finish with a Shapton glass 16 and sometimes a Zulu Grey.

8. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I know you have a lot of stone Glen, and also your finisher is dependant on the steel used which I did mention in my post, but its always good to hear your views on the various systems esp the ones you use or dont use much and why.

I did buy one of the Hart razors on offer the other month and I have to say it honed up very well, did look a bit chippy the edge at first but my Tam sorted that out.

I have the Chosera 10k but I am selling it as I have the SG10k and for me not a massive difference to justify having both! as for expensive yes indeed the 5k is £120 here!!
    I was using the 10k as you where funnily enough, with CF or Coti being used dependant om razor.

I have NOT bought into one system, budget and timing of whats available has been a factor in the stones I have gotten and when I have got them, and also things like the Norton 1k being way to thirsty and the 4k not much different, kinda forced my hand ito trying other options you are aware, you can buy some good naturals here in the UK very cheaply if you know where to look etc.... Welsh slate being a plentiful option.

I am happy with the edges I am getting and I have had no complaints, so I will not be actively looking for more, I do have a snow white on the way.

9. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I keep my process simple: Naniwa 1, 3, 8, 12k and then I strop on newspaper, linen or leather. I don't use pastes.

alpla444, Keithmax and JazzDoc like this.