What's your next big purchase?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by youngunn, Nov 8, 2015.

1. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

What's your next big ticket item that is on your wish list, relative to your budget? In the next year or so?

Mine is a Hart straight razor and strop set with bubinga scales upgrade.

http://www.classicshaving.com/ameri...re-point-razor-heirloom-set.html#.Vj-NwhznZnF

THEN

a Gillette Toggle adjustable that's been sitting at a local antique store for a while now.

But that's over $600 of shave gear ... Heehee

That'll probably be my only two shaving purchases next year. I'm set on soap and blades and daily driver razors.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    Spud and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. youngunn

And it doesn't have to be THAT expensive BTW. That's just me.

3. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I suspect you'll be spending more on that one item than I will all year. :D

youngunn likes this.
  4. youngunn

I've decided to go with singular large purchases over many small ones. I have my soaps and blades and such. Just want high quality pieces for my collection now

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  5. BigCabDaddy

That's very valid. I'm trying hard not to become a collector, but I do expect that once I settle in on a couple of each piece of hardware/software, the only thing that will tempt me is something more unique which can often be read more expensive.

Jim99 and youngunn like this.
  6. BigCabDaddy

To contradict that though, I'm getting a used PAA DOC which I'm very excited about just because I like the design and it definitely isn't expensive. I'm also getting the PAA Switch 400 -- again, uncommon design and relatively inexpensive.

youngunn likes this.
  7. youngunn

A razor would qualify as a big purchase in this context, I guess I didn't clarify it doesn't have to cost a fortune. Relative to your situation, your next big purchase.

I just started working again, making good money and am able to get some things I've been pining for over the last couple of years while I wasn't working. I didn't get much of anything for myself over that time, especially last year. No soaps, razors, blades. One exception was a gift from my mother. But I had to stop looking at the stuff in here because it hurt to not be able to get the stuff that everyone was enjoying.

Now I get to play again

8. youngunn

I suspect @Darkbulb has SOMETHING on his list he's just dying for this coming year, some uber rare razor he'll find new in box

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Not the 'biggest' item I see forthcoming, but a dandy, nonetheless….
    Artisan 3" Premium Fast Bridle Strop handmade by Tony Miller. Specially-finished premium fast bridle leather and cotton second component, heavy 3-Ply handles. The front component is a medium/heavy leather that has been specially finished to provide a fast, light draw; "buttery smooth with a velvet-like draw and needs no breaking in. hand-worked to give just the right suppleness and to help it resist cupping."
    TM-strop.jpg

Jim99, Bama Samurai, Kizurra and 2 others like this.
  10. youngunn

Sounds nice... What do you think of the strop in the package deal I posted? Here it is by itself: http://www.classicshaving.com/ameri...handles-the-ninja-all-black.html#.Vj-cBhznZnF

I know its not 3" bridle with cotton but its a step up from the antique worn out one I've been using... And it comes at a steep discount in the package deal.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Latigo offers good draw; Nylon webbing (seat-belt material) gets high marks for prepping the edge prior to leather. The only concern is I find two inch width is a bit narrow as it requires the user to use a consistent 'x' pattern when stropping. Doable? Yes, it just requires some practice to ensure you're getting both sides on the edge evenly.

Bama Samurai and youngunn like this.
  12. youngunn

Yeah I will get a 3 incher as soon as I am able. But I am used to doing a 2 inch right now, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  13. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

My next big purchase is a new transmission for my Audi Coupe. FYF transmission with a .56 TDI sixth gear. Sorry, not shave related.

Greg W.

youngunn likes this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

So tempting to make a funny....will not....

15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Based on my ranting post in a different thread, it may be one or 2 Clubman shaving creams, to make sure I get a solid match for the aftershave. I'd love to get them locally, so I can do free shipping(no charge when it travels in my car, lol). We'll see about that one. Otherwise, I'm looking at Fine, Captain's Choice, and Gabels as possible "big purchases"(these would be for next summer, to back up Skin-Bracer).

youngunn likes this.
  16. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'm waiting on @Darkbulb 's garage sale, or museum opening, one or the other.

17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Larger expenses that I semi-pursue is a Darwin Deluxe in great condition and a new girlfriend.

18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Funny you should say...things are actually being put in motion to prep for the former of those two things :D

Bama Samurai and youngunn like this.
  19. youngunn

Darwin Deluxe... If anyone can acquire it it'd be you man. Could you post a pic of your collection sometime?

Bama Samurai and Morman Bridge like this.
  20. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

New girlfriends will do that.....
    hope we get a chance at some of those.
    are your original findings final or do you plan on revisiting razors?

Morman Bridge likes this.