What's you're experience with Gillette Sputnik Teflon Coated blade

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SpeedyPC, Oct 19, 2017.

1. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

G'day Den,

What's you're experience with Gillette Sputnik Teflon Coated blade made from Russia any good or bad, also are they're very similar too Voskhod blade.

[​IMG]

Cheers :happy088:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Zykris likes this.
  2. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

For me they worked fine. A good daily driver I think

3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

To me they are sharper then Voskhod. One of my favorite blades.

SpeedyPC likes this.
  4. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Good blade. To me, they're close to Voskhods.

SpeedyPC likes this.
  5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Concur with the above. Sputnik and Voskhod are close. I wouldn't want to live on the difference.

SpeedyPC likes this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Been a while since I've used one, but they work fine.

7. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Smooth, sharper than Voskhod.

8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Great blade! More expensive that Voskhod, IIRC. I am too lazy to Google it.

9. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I've only used it once. Reading over my old review, it seemed like it was slightly above average but not as good as the Voskhods that I had sampled. However, I have a slightly lower opinion of Voskhods after ordering a 100 pack so maybe now I'd consider them to be in the same camp. It's one of those blades that has a thick Teflon coating, which helps to create a smooth shave, but the one that I had used in my sample pack had some bite.

10. SpeedyPC

G'day @Demidog I would like to see a complete review on Sputnik vs Voskhod DE blades if you get a chance.

Cheers :happy088:

Demidog likes this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    My experience as well. Though I didn't think they were as smooth as Astra SP's. I don't care for Voskhod blades at all. Too dull for most aggressive razors.

Demidog likes this.
  12. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I think they are a very good blade. On the expensive side but good. Voskhod are to dull for me. Not a pleasant experience.

Demidog likes this.
  13. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I don't have any Voskhods or Sputniks left in my sample pack but I posted my first impressions here and here, respectively. I wouldn't give too much weight to those reviews now though because I still haven't found my perfect setup in terms of razor, brush, and lather, and my technique still needed a little more room to improve. I gave a glowing review to the Voskhod but now I'd just rate them as an average blade due to having a bad experience with a 100 pack. In retrospect, I'd agree with most others here and say that the blades are pretty similar - not the sharpest around but fairly smooth. If Sputniks really are a lot more expensive than Voskhods, then I don't think that they are worth it but of course everyone has different experiences with blades so maybe you'd love the Sputniks.

There are also a lot of other great reviews from other members in that thread and I think that some of them might have discussed the same blades at some point.

SpeedyPC likes this.
  14. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I've had one of my best shaves with a Sputnik, but unfortunately I have never been able to replicate that result after I changed the initial first blade, or perhaps it was that first pack.
    It has been a while, but I do remember buying a few 100 packs after that first impression. But I never managed to get to that first couple of lovely shaves with it.

I have a tendency to give (force upon) shave items to friends and co workers in an attempt to sway them over to my side of the force. That includes a sample pack of 15-20 different blades and I do seem to recall that quite a few of them has mentioned the Sputnik blade to be one of their top performers.

SpeedyPC likes this.
  15. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I like Sputnik blades. Personally, I prefer Voskhod blades; I've not tried a direct comparison but I think they are quite similar. I like the Rapira Platinum Lux too. I enjoy any of those coated/cushioned blades in an aggressive razor; they all work really well, for me and give an very comfortable shave.

16. Cullen claflin

Cullen claflin New Member

I have found they are far superior to Voskhod. I can’t get two 3 pass shaves with a voskhod. I currently am testing the longevity of a Sputnik. So far I have 4 3-4 pass shaves and one head shave and the Sputnik is as sharp as ever. No tugging at all. Still cuts like butter. Every time I shave I am loading the blade with the Sputnik writing up one shave and then down the next. Not sure if this is making the difference or not. I think the Gillette silver blue may be the same blade just marketed differently for US customers.

17. SpeedyPC

I can reach to a maximum of 12 shaves per blade using a Voskhod with my 34C, and also I can get to a maximum of 11 shaves per blade using a Sputnik with my 34C as YMMV.

Both blades works better in the mid-level aggression shave such as the 34C, R89 and the EJ89, however, both blades won’t last longer into a mid-high aggression razors as YMMV.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Yeah, Voskhod sucks, and Sputnik sucks a little less than Voskhod in aggressive razors. Both are smooth blades with the heaviest coating of teflon on a DE blade I've seen. Neither blade feels great when that coating is gone, IMO.

19. SpeedyPC

The teflon coating will wear off after about four or five shaves, after that the shave becomes much better and will smoothen out much longer with the 34C as YMMV.

20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I might have to do some some messing around with them. I've got a couple of those old time stropper/sharpener things around, and about 150 of those blades.