When should I start shaving my neckline when growing a beard?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by DannyRodriguez, Jan 4, 2016.

1. DannyRodriguez

DannyRodriguez New Member

So I just entered week 2 of my beard and I'm reading this article you can find on google if you search "Closely bearded secrets revealed - Growing a beard stages"

It says not to touch your beard until month 2 or 3. It specifies trimming but I was wondering, does this include neckline shaving as well? I'd like to look respectable and clean but I don't wanna mess up my beard in any way.

When I talk about shaving my neckline I'm talking about the article you'll find on google if you search "Designing a neck line for your full beard".

What are some things I need to consider here? Do I define a neckline right away or do I wait till it fills in more?

And if so, why? I mean, there are plenty of tutorials online on where to place the neckline based on the shape of your face and jaw so why wait till your beard is grown out and not define it right away?

Just curious.

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Well. I shave my entire face every day. But way way back in the early 1980's I'd grow a beard for a couple of months, I would always keep my neck clean right from the start.
    A wise Gent here would say...."It's your beard. Enjoy it your way"

ejmolitor37, swarden43 and Robyflexx like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

*a humble bow*

Yup. Do what YOU want.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I had a beard for many years because I didn't like shaving. I wore a tie for work, and I found that if I didn't keep my neck shaved, I ended up fraying the collars on my shirts. I tried shaving my neck only every two or three days. Those whiskers just ate up my collars.
    I'd say go ahead and start that neck line. Keep it trimmed. It will look much neater. Your collars will thank you too.

David Green and Robyflexx like this.
  5. DannyRodriguez

DannyRodriguez New Member

This is what it looks like right now. http://i.imgur.com/CbnAoE1.jpg

I'll probably wait a month and do a definitive neckline cut. But for now, what do you think, too high or too low? http://i.imgur.com/CbnAoE1.jpg

6. ejmolitor37

ejmolitor37 Member

I have had a beard for nearly 14 years now and the way I have always done this is as follows. When I restart my beard I let everything go until I get enough stubble to be able to define the neck line of the beard. Then from there I set a line for both my cheeks and neck and then from there just shave from that line on. There is really no right or wrong just try something and if it doesn't work for you then try it another way and so on. I have found setting the line I want with stubble then keeping it seems to work best for me. Best thing about a beard is it fits your face ; ) Enjoy and shave on

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    David Green likes this.
  7. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Just when i start to look scraggly i shape and clean the neck line up...helps look more presentable.

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    In my opinion, too low. The sides should be just below the jawline, and the chin area should be kept rather full beneath the jaw.

A common mistake people often make is to shave right up to the jawline all the way around, which leaves the hair on the chin looking thin.

An easy way to check is to take your hand and make like you are choking yourself. Slide your hand up your neck until your thumb and forefinger hit your jawbone. Everything under your hand and below gets shaved.

You of course can do whatever you want. It's only a suggestion after all.

9. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

I won't shave for about a week, until the neck starts itching. Then I will set my neck and face line and keep that up through the rest of the growth. I some times use my trimmers cut shorten the bottom of my beard to keep it from going unruly. I also cut my hair with no guard and will fade my beard into my head so it's not a definite line. I had a gotee that was a little longer than 8" at the beginning of November and shaved it off to go back to full beard. With in 2 weeks I had defined lines already set. I use Jojoba Oil to help soften the hair while it's growing to keep the itch down.