When will my Semogue boar brush break in?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by shave/brush, Aug 5, 2014.

1. shave/brush

shave/brush Active Member

I know Semogue boar brushes take longer to break in than Omega boars. I’ve heard different time frames for it. I would like to nail in down so I know what to expect.
    I just ordered a Semogue 610 because I heard it is really great for face lathering, which I’m just getting into. I use to just bowl lather.
    So my question is, how many shaves does it take before the brush is pretty much broken in?
    Is it 10, 20, or 30 shaves?

Semogue 610.jpg

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

My experience has been they are usable after about a week of use, decent after two or three weeks, and get better until they are fully broken in four to six months.

maltedmilk likes this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yes it will. It'll take a number of shave and some diligence on your part to 'brush it dry' following each shave. I use a dry towel to 'paint' with the brush post-shave to expedite the blooming process. Throughly dry the brush—don't leave it matted.

From this to this in several weeks of regular use. As Dale stated above, these Semos continue to improve with use.
    [​IMG]

From the 'wild thing' on the right above to a more controlled bloom, with the help of a bathroom tissue cardboard tube.
    Full, dense, with soft tips…..
    [​IMG]

4. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

That brush looks good. Does omega boars get like that too? Because mine hasn't, but its not really getting much use at the time. The synthetic is winning.

5. Ian Morrison

Ian Morrison New Member

HolyRollah is that the 810,I have just took delivery of it this morning also the 1305 the one I am using just now is the omega 49 great brush.

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Semogue 830.

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

The Omega boar brushes do not bloom as much. They still work wonderfully once broken in, but do not bloom as much.

Doryferon and Omelmad like this.
  8. Omelmad

Thank you =) now I know there is nothing wrong with my omega =P

9. Ian Morrison

Ian Morrison New Member

My apologies 830 was what I meant to type not the 810 .

10. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

My prettiest Boar is the Semogue 620,nice looking bloom but in the scale is in the bottom
    Not enough lather for the 3rd pass,other Boars (cheaper and not bloomed as the SOC) beat it.
    Sad but it's true.

:(

11. shave/brush

I think most will agree that the 610 is the best for face lathering. It even beats the SOC. The 610 has just the right combination of knot size 21 mm and loft size 50 mm to make it a perfect face lathering brush. They all can be good but I think the 610 & 620 are the best.

12. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

If you want to speed up the breaking in process you can cheat a little. Make up a lather, cover the brush in the lather and just leave the brush like that overnight. Next morning just wash the soap off. I have done it with a couple of brushes and it works really well.

Omelmad likes this.
  13. Omelmad

I have done this too. Saw it in a video

14. shave/brush

I may have to give that a try. I wonder how that works?

15. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Ernest and Julio Gallo once said "No wine before it's time" and you could get a quart for 75 cents so you know they knew what they where talking about. What that has to do with anything I don't have a clue but when they're broke in you'll know. Personally, I don't worry about it. I'm happy when they quit smelling. A 24mm knot at around 50mm for loft IMO is a lathering machine. Time will just make it softer. This is just my personal preference and as we know everyone has different likes and dislikes. The big 27mm knot I'd use an oversized hole and loft it at 57mm. Again just a personal preference. I really don't think they lather that much better just feel better doing it.

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  16. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

:D

17. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

You got me, lol. I would have bet the farm it was Ernst and Julio.

18. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member