When would you say shaving technology peaked?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by gorgo2, Jan 28, 2021.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The introduction of stainless blades was a game changer. Safety razor technology and designs, be it single edge, double edge, or injector, had been old news for decades, with any later changes being largely cosmetic or gimmicks. Also during the 1960s, you had the introduction of reliable and efficient canned foam for those who liked to use it, which was millions of guys and ladies. Then disposable carts, another game changer. So for me, with home shaving viewed as a whole, the peak was the 1960s.

Plus, that's when they introduced Hai Karate.

What say you

2. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I think the peak is in a near future or maybe even now. Our parents could just dream about having as many options as we do have nowadays.

While many might think some of the technologies are not necessary (as battery driven multi-blade cartridges), we have seen more new technology than ever before. Also we have new manufacturing techniques, like computerized CNC, 3D-printing etc.

3. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

brit likes this.
  4. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

DE patent 1901.
    There have been later innovations, of course, but the change from a straight razor which had to be sharpened and honed to a safety razor with a disposable blade was certainly the peak.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  5. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Probably when Pinaud Clubman became available!

Tedolph

Paul Turner and brit like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

As a cart shaver for 35 + years and convert to Gillette DE I would say nothing beats a Tech razor with a sharp stainless blade for me.carts gave me ingrown hairs as they pull hair up and cut,while de/se/ cuts at the skin surface.
    however,there are downsides to both technologies,handling blades,waste etc.turn of the 20th century peaked in the 1965-70s imo..with blade technology ,ie spoilers,personna 74 etc.but it was soon deemed unsuccessful financially for the manufactures ,as you know.if blades last forever,nobody needs to buy them .
    some folks are opting for laser hair removal and similar technologies,many are growing beards,most still use carts of various types.
    one day they could be a pill or other gene technology that controls or eliminates hair growth,but IT too will be controlled,.. as we all know,there is no gain if there isn't a profit in it..;)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

True and I think it's great, but are they really just finding new ways to construct variations on an old theme, or are they creating something so truly new that it's revolutionary?

brit likes this.
  8. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

I do not think so.
    At this stage, maybe.
    But revolution, as everything, is a path:
    1. Material
    2. Technology
    3. Know How
    4. Product

Even the Gillette blade is a variation on the old theme of interchangeable blade.
    Lots of frameback straight razor has this feature.
    Century before Dovo produced Shavette.

I was told that amazing is just a normal thing made in an unique and different way.
    :angelic007:

Ijustmissedthe50s, Shaver X and brit like this.
  9. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

10. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I would say that shaving technology peaked with the Gillette Labs Heated Razor. The most advanced technology is not always the best solution, however.

I think that shaving solutions peaked in 1968, with the introduction of the Gillette Super Adjustable 84 and the Gillette Super Adjustable 109. Further developments after that focused on cartridge razors, which are less economical than safety razors. In my own experience, safety razors also give better shaves. Double-edge blades do not seem to have improved much, if at all, in later years. They would have peaked around the same time.

Some of the shaving creams introduced recently are excellent, and much better than canned foam or gel. Maybe there were creams in the late 1960s that were equally good? Some of the vintage soaps from back then were very good, at least if surviving examples are typical. I have read that badger brushes had much higher quality knots in times past. If I recall correctly, it was Dr. Moss over on Shave My Face who wrote that. Boar and horse hair brushes do not appear to have changed very much, but synthetics have made great advancements in recent years.

Purchasing technology is at its peak right now. Hey, we can't shave with it unless we can purchase it. Online ordering and a huge number of global online stores are what makes today's shaving experience the best ever. We have never had such a huge product selection at such great prices before. The same goes for communications technology, without which many of us might still be living in the shaving dark ages.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Lancre and brit like this.
  11. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

^This. A razor with a disposable blade was a game changer. Ever since then, its been nothing but tweaking the design and trying to force people to use your blade system and marketing the notion that more blades = a better shave.

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and BigMike like this.
  12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

When I started making my own shave soap.

13. brit

brit in a box

one always has to remember --that the blade is what shaves the whiskers,the the blade handle/holder controls the blade exposure,gap and basic angle with the user being instructed how to hold said handle..blade sharpness and longevity are key.a modern stainless blade changes the performance of a 1930s razor designed with carbon steel blades as normal.:)

ischiapp and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now