When you're sanding a razor...

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by moviemaniac, Jan 21, 2009.

1. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

...make sure you rest the razor on a flat surface and don't hold it with your left hand.

If you do, your right index finger could end up like mine: In a hospital getting three stitches :happy102

fingerleweh.JPG

2. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Ouch :eek:

I don't think this is a legitimate test for shave readiness, though :D

I hope it heals quickly for you.

3. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

At least it was sharp!!

I cut the end of my finger off when I was working in a kitchen. It popped off with a satisfying crunch. I filled 3 latex gloves with blood with a fourth on the hand taped to my wrist. I kept working one handed. The other hand over a garbage can. My assistant almost fainted. 16 y.o. girls, no stomach.

Head Chef comes over yells some profanities about knife safety etc.. and asks if I need to go to hospital. I said no, he sends me anyway, after my prep was done.

I left, drove myself to emergency care and had my finger cauterized. Word of warning. When they Novocain your finger and the pain goes away, so does the adrenalin and down you go. I passed out from blood loss. Woke up spent an hour there and they discharged me. I went back to work in time for service.

Call my chef, true story. Friday night can't bail on that.

Need Pics of the stitches. Lets see them. Are you gonna remove the stiches yourself?

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Whoa, that's a horrible story! To be honest I would have taken care of it myself but my dad came along and insisted on taking me to the hospital. Well, I sure think I'm better off getting it stitched and checked out (for all I know the cur could've hurt some nerves or the bone).
    However I don't know about posting a picture of the stitches here - maybe friday when I get the bandages off. I'm also gonna let them at the hospital remove the stitches - it's only a short drive and it costs nothing, so why take the risk ;)

5. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

When you do it your self it tickles. It is like darning a sock and removing a rouge stitch. Just put your scissors on Barbicide or alcohol.

I wish I had universal health care. It costs money here to remove stitches. That's why I do it myself.

6. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

OUCH Klaus!!

Thank the heavens you were not resting it on your lap like I do! :eek::sick007

Anyway mate, I hope it heals well. And in the words of the great Joker in The Dark Knight: "Whatever does not kill us makes us......weirder!" :happy102 (certainly true in my case)

James.

7. JimR

JimR Active Member

Oh man...For goodness' sake, watch out for the skinny bit!

8. j3ckl3r

j3ckl3r New Member

i was slicing up some paper that i rolled up and had my razor at a weird angle so the razor didnt quite clear my thumb. took off the tip of my thumb with a bit of my nail. when i found the piece i chopped off the nail was still attached to it. i just coverd it with super glue. had to keep doing it though... kept reopening on me.. i was re balancing someones tire and bashed my thumb on something... not even very hard and it started to bleed again. i wrapped it in paper towel and kept working. i put the tire on the guys car then and it sorta compressed my thumb and i heard the blood sorta slosh around in the towel... made someone else torque it up while i ran it under water and then re wrapped it -_-

and i still couldnt get the damn thing to shave my face

9. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

Ha ha! After i had my face used as a bottle opener, i took the stitches out myself with a nailclipper.
    I was at sea anyway, so no doctor, and the 1stMate couldn't have done a better job himself :D
    If anyone else want to remove their own stitches, remember to cut the end you're not pulling, as close to the skin as possible.
    You don't want to drag dirty thread through you and cause an infection:sick007

Hope that heals up fine Klaus.

10. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Seems like I'm not the only one with razor-related injuries :D

Thanks for all your well-wishes!

11. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Giving someone the finger is not a literal expression, Klaus! :eek:

Hope you heal up quick!

12. Klaus, i think the next birthday present you will get from your parents
    will be a nice electric shaver

13. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I got my face bit open by a dog. I removed the stitches my self. Its more fun that way. Easiest way is to use nail clippers to cut the stitch and than pull it with tweezers. It tickles and feels funny.

14. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Klaus, I don't know how deep you went, but i've found super glue often works well as a replacement for stitches. I hope it heals up quickly.

15. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Yeah, I bought "vetrinary grade" CA for my dogs! Thankfully I have never had to use it. But in SAR our dogs often get injured in one way or the other, so I have a lot of stuff with me all the time, just to be prepared for the worst... Duct tape is essential too!

Take care Klaus! And be careful!

16. Padron

Padron Active Member

Youch!

Heal up quickly Klaus...I know some fellas make wooden jigs with recessed magnets to hold their blades...may be a safer option...

17. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Good lord, no! :eek:

thanks, guys! My finger is much better now, doesn't hurt anymore and a normal patch is all I need now - no more bandages.

The cut was really deep, nearly down to the bone, luckily no fibers were hurt.

@Neale: I'm definitely thinking about making something like that!

By the way, here's the bugger that hurt me - it's the Bengall. I finished restoring both razors today.

img_0726.jpg

18. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Horrible ! did the finger grew back on ? dont get me started on USA Healthcare.

you can MINUS the C A R E part....

you prob. used a sharp Japanese Chef's knife yes they will go thru anything .

@ Klaus

:eek::eek::eek:

Heal quick from now on its DE shaves for you I guess unless your a pro with doing a str8 shave all with the left hand

19. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Oyyyyyyyyyyy, Klaus--vorsicht, mein Freund!

20. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Actually it's easier shaving with a straight than using a DE when you have a bandage like I had :D