Where to begin with a Straight Edge!?!

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Derhey, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

I have been using a DE safety razor for a few months and want to take "the plunge" into straight edge shaving. I am so new, I haven't even purchased a razor or strop as of yet. Any ideas on where to begin or good first purchases (both a razor and strop)? Be gentle but I am open to recommendations and advice. Thank you in advance.

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Step One: Do some background research. Watch some videos from experienced SR shavers. It's important to understand what exactly straight razor shaving entails. It isn't 'rocket science,' but using a straight razor is a bit more complicated and involved than using a standard DE razor. The learning curve is steeper, and it may take a considerable amount of time before one can confidently and successfully shave with a straight razor. On the plus side, once you do master it—and you will if you stick with it— you may find that no other shaving method provides the quality of shave nor the same level of satisfaction. :)

Step Two: Educate yourself on what makes for a good straight razor (i.e. the characteristics what one should look for and what to avoid). There are plenty of experienced users here on TSD so don't be afraid to pick their brains and ask questions. Free Tip: avoid Chinese or Pakistani-made razors found on ebay. Learn about the care and proper handling as well.

Step Three: Purchase or borrow an SR from a reliable source. ebay is NOT a reliable source. There are some folks here who may be willing to either sell you a properly-cared for and shave-ready SR or possibly loan one to try.

Step Four: Get a strop and practice on it. Do a search here as there are a number of threads on 'first strops' and 'how to's'

Step Five: Start slow. Expect to use a DE razor to 'clean up' after your first month or more of daily SR shaves.

Step Six: Be sure to ask questions. We all started from the same place, so don't hesitate to ask TSD members. There are no dumb questions....most of the time. ;)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    cubancigar2000 and Bama Samurai like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Re-read what @HolyRollah said.
    Also, go over to our Straight Razor forum and check out the stickies

4. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

HolyRollah, you amaze me with your knowledge! Thank you so much for your advice. I have already researched straights already...found a nice list of what NOT to buy. How do you feel about starting off through Larry (at WhippedDog)?

Bama Samurai likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have no experience personally with the straights from Larry, but all I've read from those who have gotten SRs from him is they were pleased with the transaction! :happy088:

6. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Shave ready means different things to different vendors

Straight Razor Designs
    The superior shave
    Are to vendors that have sold me shave ready razors.

The list is much longer of the people that claimed to be shave ready and were not

Go S-L-O-W.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

That's really spot on Kevin. Nice response

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thanks, Lou! I just try to share from my own experiences so other following behind wont be likely to make the same mistakes I did... :ashamed001:

9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I think I have a basic idea of what it involves to get the razor ready to shave.
    could someone describe what it takes to clean, dry, and whatever else has to be done to put the razor away properly.
    last time I thought I had done the proper procedure, only to find spotty blade the next time.
    I mean everybody talks about the prep, but I'm curious to learn more about the care.
    I joined this forum thinking I always had the sharpest blade in the room, but have learned that I have volumes to learn about how even maintain a blade.

45auto likes this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've discovered that not all blades are alike in their ability to resist spotting. I'm fairly thorough in my post-shave routine in drying both blade and scales (including the pivot point), but some blades just seem more prone to the dreaded spotting. All are carbon steel, by the way.
    My process:
    a. Post-rinse of the entire blade & scales: towel dry blade & scales.
    b. Bathroom tissue, folded 2-3x and inserted between the scale halves, drying the inside near both pins as well as the blade tang both sides
    c. Strop the blade on leather (15 laps or so) = dry edge
    d. into the drawer for safe-keeping (see Here); with desiccant packets.
    Some use a cotton ball to wipe down blades with mineral oil or similar oil to inhibit moisture. Maybe for long-term storage I could see myself doing THAT. Not for my daily blades, though.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

thanks,
    much respect to the many beautiful blades displayed on this forum.

45auto and Bama Samurai like this.
  12. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Best of luck with the straights! They, definitely, are challenging! :)

13. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

That's the route I went. I picked up one of his sight unseen shave ready razors and a poor mans strop. That let me see if it was something I wanted to pursue ( it wasn't) without a huge financial outlay.

Derhey likes this.
  14. Jonathan Ard

Jonathan Ard New Member

I tend to rinse in very hot water so that any residual moisture evaporates off the blade or between the scales, towel dry and strop. I also purchased a small bottle of mineral oil with an applicator tip built on the top. All it takes is a single swipe then I distribute with my finger along the blade. Never did that before, but one day I went into my drawer to discover my favorite razor (which I hadn't used for a week) had developed rust spots! I'd much rather spend the xtra 15 seconds to oil a blade then lose my favorite Wade & Butcher wedge.

15. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Great post Kevin...however I live very close to the Peugeot Sound a lot of moisture in the air so if you live in a coastal town a very light coat of oil on your shavers is always a good idea...YMMV

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Alternatively, move south to sunny California and not be bothered with all that Pac NW moisture…..:D:D:D

17. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Maybe...northern California clean air sunny days and mild winters sounds good to me.

HolyRollah likes this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

… maybe its cheaper and more expedient if you simply pick up a bottle of mineral oil. :D

19. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Yep...that works too.

20. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I rinse the blade with very hot water, wipe dry with TP, strop 10 felt 10 leather, light coat of mineral oil. I then put it into a razor sock. The next day when I'm done the sock comes off that razor and onto the next.

With the rotation it might be a couple of weeks before a straight gets used again which is why I use mineral oil. I need to get some more socks.