Where to buy knot

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Joelio, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

i have a couple of vintage handles I need knots for.

I was planning on putting a horse knot in one of them, but my source fell through (not his fault, some very unfortunate circumstances). I need a new source for knots!

I've heard mixed things about TGN and their propensity for shedding. I know Larry at Whipped Dog has some really nice knot, and if he had any silvertips I might get one but they're out of stock at the moment.

I'd like to try something new, but I don't know of a place I can get a quality, soft horse knot. Anyone out there know of one? Or a place I can get any good knots?

PatrickA51, BeeGee and Douglas Carey like this.
  2. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I own a Silver Tip from WD. Have had no problem with it shedding. I also have two brushes that have TGN knots in them. I have had nothing but good luck with both brushes. My "Old Corps"& "Oscar 11" Custom 28/65mm TGN Finest Badger F-2 Knot Resin Handle Brush * {This is my go to Brush}
    and my "Oscar11" Custom 24/48mm TGN Super Finest Black& White Resin Handle ** {This is my Favorite Travel Brush & Most Cherished }
    Neither of these brushes shed.
    Good luck

Herm2502 and Douglas Carey like this.
  3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I also have a Finest Badger from Frank Shaving Brush which I like. All of the knots I have received from Whipped Dog have been great. Not to mention Larry has been excellent to deal with.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I restored an old Strong Set brush a couple of months ago. Larry at Whipped Dog not only helped me pick a knot, but provided me with detailed help through the process. I have two WD and couldn't recommend then more.

PatrickA51, Omelmad and Douglas Carey like this.
  5. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Whipped Dog has excellent knots, as does The Golden Nib. Frank Shaving offers inexpensive Pur-Tech Generation 4 Synthetic knots.

Douglas Carey and PatrickA51 like this.
  6. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I don't know

I have never used anyone but TGN since day one and the first brush I restored .. Still use that brush in fact it has been and remains my goto brush

I haven't kept count honestly, But I must have done around 100 brushes in the last 8 years...

I have replaced 2 knots for Shedding, TGN immediately stood behind their products Both were HMW knots..

I have one sitting in front of me right now been "testing" it for well over a year by rubbing it vigorously when I remember to see if hairs come out, they haven't since the second week I received it back... Honestly I am getting ready to put in in an Elk Handle for myself :)

I have a funny feeling that what was called "Excessive Shedding" might have been the normal break in of an "Overstuffed knot" yes TGN sells overstuffed which are my goto knots..

Anyway if I re-mount the knot I will let you know...

Douglas Carey and PatrickA51 like this.
  7. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Frank Shaving sends B' class knots when you order them separately (Black badger-Synthetic Pur-Tech are the exception) at my experience.
    If you order the same kind of knot but in a handle (that means a shaving brush) then the quality is much better.
    I have bought from him separately pure-finest-best badger knots,all of them had problems.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I'm waiting on some Frank knots. I'll let you know my opinion when I test them.

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I have used both TGN and Whipped Dog and liked both. I am really a fan of the TGN Finest and the WD High Mountain. Also had really good luck with the TGN Synthetic Knots as well.

Doryferon and Douglas Carey like this.
  10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Have you found a difference in price? I found WD shipping a little steep. I must add that all of the knots are good.:happy088:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

To be honest, at the time I didn't pay attention.

12. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

I haven't had any problems with single knot or brush purchases.

13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I had one Frank brush that didn't have much polyurethane on it so I had to sand it down and put couple of coats on it. I have a Frank Finest Badger that is outstanding, also two Best Badger that are good.

Boojum1 likes this.
  14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

WSP does have some very nice knots as well. I set a WSP HWW in a Rubberset 400 restoration for a friend. He has been very happy with the result if not the price.

15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I'll have to check that out. I have knots coming drop VIG. I'll let everyone know how they are.

clint64 likes this.
  16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

To my tastes I can not justify the costs of the WSP HWM knot. I have one in a restored Rubberset 400 but I got a pretty good deal on that one. On Wade's next restore he went with a TGN finest fan and likes it just as much.

17. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

If you are looking for high dollar knots I would also add Shavemac to the list. I have one custom brush with a Shavemac finest 26/52 that I love to use. It's soft with a little scritch and a lot of backbone. At some point I will try their D01 2 band as well.

19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

What I am looking for is quality at a fair price accompanied by good service. I believe I have to say that Whipped Dog would be my preferred pick. I told Larry I was waiting to get a new credit card and told him what I would order. Although he was out of stock according to his, site he had saved my order for me. How much is that worth. To me it was worth more than a few dollars shipping.

20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Larry is a really nice guy and a class act. It's worth a lot to do business with such a person. I've had several purchases from him and would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone.