where to get brush handles?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by ramsay, Aug 6, 2013.

1. ramsay

ramsay New Member

Any suggestions on where to get brush handles? Although I appreciate custom, artisan type handles, I'm looking more for reasonably priced standard shapes and sizes similar to those that come with retail brushes. Thanks.

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    eBay is your best bet. You will of course, need to remove the tattered remains of the knot that used to inhabit them. :)

battle.munky likes this.
  3. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Vintage handles can be had at junk shops, sometimes for a song.

5. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

6. Bobby Mac

Bobby Mac Member

Ok, so how do you get a knot out of a handle? Do all brushes have a knot? I have an AOS brush that is handmade cost about $110, can I take the knot out of it? The handle is just to short for my liking!?

7. Raven312

Bobby Mac, one can get the knot out of the handle but most of the time it will render the knot useless, especially if the brush is well made. It can be done but you'd be taking a chance on ruining both pieces. In the case of your AOS brush, I'd recommend that you either try to trade it for something else that you have in mind, sell it outright and get what you like, or relegate it for travel only (which is what I probably would do).
    And yes, all modern day brushes that I've seen have a knot. I've seen a few vintage brushes where the tufts of hair was glued in a "bed" of sorts.
    Should you decide that you want to separate your AOS knot from its handle, read up on the steam method. Know that if not timed just right you can lose both pieces, so I wouldn't recommend it. We normally do a reknot when we are updating a handle, rather than a knot.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The brush is the knot. Actually there are two parts to a brush - the handle and the knot.
    As for getting the knot out, read *this*. It helped me.

9. ramsay

ramsay New Member

Raven -I am looking for a nice handle to pair with a TGN finest badger or synthetic-22 or 23mm

10. Raven312

Ramsay, are you in North America?

11. ramsay

ramsay New Member

Yes- Tennessee

12. Raven312

The reason I asked is because I have a spare brush handle that I'm not going to use (the solid red acrylic in the center). However, it may be 20mm; I'll have to measure it tonight.

2013-07-24 18.44.02.jpg

Sara-s likes this.