Where to get wooden cigar boxes?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by blanka, Jan 23, 2014.

1. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Okay, the title may seem like a dumb question. I know they can be purchased online (shipping cost seems pretty high anywhere I look). There are a couple cigar stores here locally, but I didn't know if it's bad form to walk in and request to purchase cigar boxes without actually having to buy the cigars. Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm looking to get a few nice ones to turn into shaving kits for groomsmen gifts for my brother-in-law's wedding. Thanks!

2. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Walk in and ask them how much they want for empty ones and if they'll save em for you. Money's money man. I'm sure they will.

blanka likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Spot on.

4. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

or just buy them with the cigar's still in them and smoke/share/sell the cigars

blanka likes this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

The Nat Sherman boxes are particularly nice (some have a little latch dohickey on them) as are the ACID (Drew Estates) boxes. Both are suitable for reuse in other applications and are well-made. Not your typical flip lid cigar boxes that just hold a certain amount of cigars in one place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Dapper-in-a-can-man

The acid boxes look like they're roomy enough for your need :D

That would be really expensive if you needed 10+ boxes.
    That goes without saying: You can't sell em without a license. Also, if you did go that route a cigar would be a nice gift, but as I said that would get quite expensive.

7. blanka

Just imagining what my wife will say when I come home with several boxfuls of cigars..."but honey, it's for your brother!" ;-)

8. richgem

Something like this: :susel:I imagine. Or maybe this: :sick013:

PLANofMAN, burnout961 and blanka like this.
  9. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Hahahahahaha oh man.... better you than me :D

blanka likes this.
  10. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

I've found some very nice, decently priced boxes at antique shops, and some not-quite-as-nice boxes at thrift stores. I realize that's a hit-or-miss type of proposition. Watch craigslist too; I once saw someone selling off a lot of a few hundred boxes. You just have to be in the right place at the right time. No problem, right?

Dapper-in-a-can-man likes this.
  11. blanka

Yup, I walked into the cigar shop near my office. They do sell empty boxes (they give away the paper ones). He said it's basically luck of the draw, but suggested I walk in on Saturday mornings, because they always have big cigar parties on Friday nights. I think I'll need to walk in to the store several times between now and the party in order to get what I need.

Dapper-in-a-can-man and JBSharp like this.
  12. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

These were from Cigars International. $19.99 with free shipping

Bird Lives, JBSharp and blanka like this.
  13. richgem

"Genuine Counterfeit Cuban" cigars also makes some nice slide top boxes (edit: some are flip top). They even come with a fake Cuban authenticity label on them. They're also pretty good cigars for a low price, at least the "pre-embargo / 1956" line.

[​IMG]

Thems is purdy boxes.

14. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

Tell her its a new air freshener?

15. blanka

Those look great. Hmmm...I may have to break down and go that route to save the aggravation of checking the store over and over and over and over...

16. richgem

I've ordered cigars from CI a few times and have never had a problem. Fast shipping too.

17. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You could just call the local cigar shops and ask. Let them know how many boxes you need.

Dapper-in-a-can-man likes this.
  18. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

When I was in grade school and kindergarten, I used to use a cigar box to put my pencils and school supplies in.

Thought I'd throw that in there...:ashamed001:

19. richgem

At home crayon and maker box. Grandpa smoked White Owls (blech).

20. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

'member Dutch Masters?? Those dutch guys on the box made me uneasy to look at very long. Like they knew I was up to something.