Which Bar Soap? And how to store it?

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Regan, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I have decided that I would like to switch from my body wash to something more natural with less detergents, additives and chemicals. To something simpler and more nourishing for my skin, that still leaves my body feeling moisturized. I am tired of showering and sometimes the bodywash makes my skin feel dry and itchy.

I am open to suggestions however I wouldn't like to spend much more than 4 dollars per bar. However if a 5 dollar bar outperforms a 4 dollar bar I figure a extra dollar for a couple months is worth it :).

I would also prefer to buy from Well.ca their selection of bar soaps are in the following link.
    http://well.ca/categories/bar-soap_391.html?sort=price_asc&page=1
    I love doing business with well.ca they provide great service and free shipping to all of Canada. With reasonable prices and a very wide selection of products. As well as fast shipping (I am located in the same city as their warehouse and office)

The brands I am interested in are the Guelph Soap Company, The soap works, Caprina by Canus and Kiss my face. These soaps seem to have the requirements I would like, however I do not know about the ingredients and what to look for in a good soap bar or what you do not want in the soap bar.

If anybody has any suggestions upon how to store them in the shower. I know there are sealed containers, drip trays, no tray, and other ways to store them in the shower. I would love some opinions upon the best way to keep them.

Thank you guys in advance for ideas and opinions.

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Of the three you mentioned, I've only tried Kiss my face. KMF bar soap to me is rather meh, it works OK but scents are lackluster and skin care is neither bad nor particularly good.

I have used the Caprina Goat Milk Soap I see on the site. Very moisturizing for something that's not a cold process bar. The scents are very mild, but good.

On storage, I use a tray that drains really well so the soap dries between uses (I keep one bar in the shower and another by the sink). This makes the soap last much longer. When traveling, I use a plastic closed travel soap dish, but let the soap dry sitting sideways on the dish before putting it away.

If you're willing to go to another site (or if I just didn't look far enough), I'd have two suggestions. First, my favorite soaps are Pre De Provence in any scent except Honey Almond (has actual honey and the lather is terrible because of it). PDP scents are simply amazing and even though they are ~$7, they are a huge 8.8 oz. bar that lasts a very long time. The other suggestion, because you're concerned about moisture is to go for a handmade cold process soap. You'll likely have the best luck looking locally for cold process soap, but I'm sure you'll get a few suggestions from other members.

3. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Info. I was interesting the the PDP after your type up I believe I read in a different thread. However paying 7 dollars and then $X dollars for shipping makes it a 10+ dollar bar. I cannot find a Canadian retailer of PDP, as of yet I am searching to find one though. I saw the goat milk one and wasn't sure if I wanted to try it. But from your post I might pick one up.

I have yet to try any PDP products, heard good things about them all. :)
    I will knock KMF from the list and replace with the goats milk one.

4. m0j0j0eman

m0j0j0eman Active Member

5. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Just a follow up question to the PDP. Where do you buy from and find to be the cheapest?

That 10.50 for the soap is a bit much for me especially when you factor in the shipping costs to Canada. Thanks for the info. I look forward to reading about how you enjoy the soap.

6. m0j0j0eman

m0j0j0eman Active Member

Yeah, I'll definitely let you know. If you look under the Clean Feeling Soap, some folks are also trying MWF version of bar soap. From what I understand, it leaves you feeling pretty clean.

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I get PDP locally for $7. If they quit carrying it local, I'd get it from Bullgoose for $7 + shipping. That works for me since I typically make an order about once a year there that's big enough to get free shipping. Maybe one of our Canadian members can recommend a place that works better for you.

8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Yardley English Lavender. $1.00 per bar. Great scent, moisturizing, contains tallow.

9. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Ivory with Aloe works for me. I grew up with Ivory and while the regular formula is kind of drying to the skin, the aloe version is just fine.

10. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I have some of their man scent ivory... I just need to buy me a container. I looked at the local stores and nothing... as of yet.

11. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

US Yardley is hard to beat in terms of value, though I far prefer the oatmeal and almond scent in Yardley. Lavender scents are very hit and miss to me and Yardley's version just doesn't work for me. That said, I do like the other soaps I've given a positive mention above a little better, either for scent, lather, or both.

12. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I have been using cold process soaps from thesoapguy.com If you would like to try some PM me your address and I will send you a chunk or two.

13. m0j0j0eman

m0j0j0eman Active Member

Lever 2000 is another refreshing soap to try.

14. joe.attaboy

joe.attaboy New Member

I recently gave up on the shower gels and liquids and went back to bar soap myself. I also didn't want to use the common soaps due to the detergents and things I didn't want. One soap I have tried and really love are the large bars from Whole Foods. They're milled, come in big 8 oz sizes, and the shea butter is incredible. It's got a great smell, it foams nicely, rinses clean and it's gentle enough for me to use in my hair. Inexpensive, too, usually about $3.99.

South Of France also makes a variety of bare soaps that are very nice.

Conrad1959 likes this.
  15. Merkur Malloy

Merkur Malloy Member

16. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Pears is a nice gentle soap. 4oz bar for a $1 at the Dollar Tree. Its a transparent soap with a nice lemony smell , made in India, the makers tout it as being aged or matured to get its transparency.

17. stingraysrock

I agree with you on lavender being hit or miss. I don't care for the AOS or TOBS lavender.

18. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

never tried either... I have lavender EO for some preshave i am going to mix up in the future :).

Thanks guys for the info. Now have more soaps to research and look at BSAD (body soap acquisition disorder) I hope not :). I really am interested in PDP and thanks to Rodd I am going to try me some cold process soaps. Then there are so many others I would like to try out as well.

I also need to get a drain container. I only could find ones for $25 or more made of metal or plastic that stick to the shower wall. I just want a tray that can hold it... Next trip to Walmart I will probably pick one up for cheap.

19. stingraysrock

I use one of those soap holding trays with the pokey things sticking up.

Sort of like THIS.

20. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

That is what I am looking for. Something that helps it drip dry. But if i get a PDP soap they are 8.8oz for some of them. Which is a large bar. Might chop it in half if it is too big. Will have to wait and see.

Thanks for that link Jeff.