Which Blade Gap Would you Choose for your Daily Shaver?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by johnnyflake, Jun 7, 2019.

1. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

If you were going to order a new custom razor, from where ever, and you have the opportunity, to select, the exact Blade Gap you wanted, as this razor will be your daily driver, what Blade Gap would you request? Why?

Personally, I am thinking it would be .88 gap. For a daily driver, I believe a gap of .88 is enough to provide a very close shave, without causing any irritation.

Terry and Hembree like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

No offense but gap is meaningless without reference to exposure. Fatip has zero gap, Timeless Bronze only .38...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Shaver X and Hembree like this.
  3. johnnyflake

jmudrick,

Thanks for the heads-up! I guess that I am really not sure how to ask the question properly. Maybe exposure is the word, rather than gap?
    Would this question, using the word exposure, rather than gap. make sense?

Hembree likes this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Nope they work in concert to establish how aggressive razor feels and contribute much to how efficient the razor is. Generally though it's exposure that creates the aggressive feel but it's difficult to measure, usually all you get is positive, neutral, or negative. If you want to determine what gap is desirable, best start with what type exposure you want. Most boutique razors these days have neutral to slightly positive exposure. The aforementioned Timeless Bronze has unusually positive exposure. The Tatara is an example of a high end razor with negative exposure.

[​IMG]

Terry, brit and Hembree like this.
  5. johnnyflake

Thanks again, with your knowledgeable response.

Well, I guess I am at an in-pass. I have no idea how to properly ask my question. Looking at, what they call, an Above the Tie Blade Gap Comparison Chart, for example, it shows that a Merkur HD 34C has a Blade Gap of .71mm, that a Muhle R89 or Edwin Jagger DE89L have a Blade Gap of .76mm. They also show an Above The Tie ATT H1, with a Blade Gap of .91mm. Based on that type of information, I was trying to find out what different people would prefer for a Blade Gap on their daily driver.

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Makes more sense to ask which razor they would prefer I would think. I doubt anyone's preference for a DE89 vs 34C comes down to .05mm difference in blade gap.

Shaver X likes this.
  7. johnnyflake

That is probably correct!

If a Mod checks in, please delete this thread.

8. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

i have discovered that blade gap is not the end all be all in determining shave quality.
    i have read where the Fatip has a .14mm exposure, very low but still is considered aggressive
    there are many other factors that affect of shave outside of blade gap .... exposure , angle. open comb. etc etc...........

i just asked around for others preference

merkur HD
    red tip
    R41 .14 gap
    fatip piccolo
    gilette adjustable @8 1.14 gap
    v3A
    maggard slant
    german r 37 slant

i own have shaved with all of the above all with aggressive reputations

the R41, fatip, V3A and slants are famous for being aggressive

personally the R41, german R37 slant, and fatip piccolo, V3a perform very close and are in the running for closest shave/ most comfortable

weird thing is gillete old style, single ring, long and short comb leave my face irritated.

johnnyflake likes this.
  9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Probably not what you are looking for but..
    I'd buy one of each of what they offer. IF I had the money to go custom, I'd have a complete set. If they were varible upon order, I'd go mild, middle, full open.
    But its up to you, you know your skin/beard type.
    Good luck!
    tp

johnnyflake likes this.
  10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

@johnnyflake
    I think the above the tie r plate to be an excellent choice for a daily driver. I've only used the calypso version in the m and r plates. My advice would be to start in the middle, then choose to go more or less aggressive. If you the above the tie, you can buy the plates alone . So you get either the complete set(for bigger money). Ir choose a handle style and plate/ top cap. Once there, if you want to soup it up, get an h plate, if you decide to go milder get an m plate. If you want to recoup the money's spent, sell the one you don't like.
    But the r plate is middle of the road.

johnnyflake likes this.
  11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I wouldn't select a razor based in blade gap, but on multiple reviews of different razors from other wetshavers. Reading about their likes, dislikes, and other comments, I could then determine which models I would like. It is no guarantee that a razor selected this way will give me great shaves, but it is better than just looking at a product listing online or one characteristic. This method has never failed me yet for any shaving products, so it must have some merit.

brit and johnnyflake like this.
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

100% blade gap. Straight Razor. 3/4 Hollow ground, 7/8 inch. Just for starts.

13. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!

straights are my poison of choice

14. Marc Bagwell

Marc Bagwell Well-Known Member

I know, it’s all very confusing. It would help if razor companies listed their exposer as positive neutral or negative. That would at least give you something to work with. Having said this, there are other intangibles that can make a difference. Let’s use my Muhle R89 as an example. A good razor that didn’t handle my coarse beard very well. It was great for my very sensitive skin which stops me from using an aggressive razor. So instead of chasing after the perfect razor, I decided to make my razor fit my needs. First thing I did was drop the light hallow handle for a much heavier stainless handle that fits my hand perfectly. The extra weight helps the razor to slice through the whisker. But that wasn’t enough so I added steroids to my razor by using Feather blades.

The end result is this.... my R89 is still smooth and gentle on my sensitive skin... but now it slices through my heavy beard with ease. Being able to mix and match is one of the advantages of a 3 piece razor.

The point is... don’t be afraid to experiment. And don’t think you have to sink hundreds of dollars to get a great shave. My R89 is now giving me better shaves than my Timeless razors. It may not be as pretty as a Timeless, but with the right combination it’s a better shave. Remember this... it’s easier to make a mild shaver more efficient than to tone down an aggressive razor. That’s my two cents and I hope it helps someone.

brit likes this.
  15. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I want a huge gap but no blade exposure. A huge gap does make it more versatile as it will work for daily shaving but also for mowing down bigger growth. The blade exposure should be neutral in order to "tame" the big gap. Like that the razor becomes efficient but also very smooth.

16. johnnyflake

My favorite, go to razor, is a Merkur Progress. Set it at 3.0 (.71 Gap) or 3.5 (.77 Gap) and it perfect for normal shaves. Got a weeks growth, Set it on 5.0 (94.0 Gap) and get a great shave with no issues.

brit and Shaver X like this.
  17. Marc Bagwell

Ok. I think I know what your asking. Though usually the bigger the gap the more exposer. There is one razor you might try then. A Merkur Futur. It’s very smooth without much blade feel if you use it on the lowest settings. It’s a bunch of gap without a great deal of blade feel. I tend not to use them because even at setting 1 it’s too much for me as a daily shaver. But that’s me

18. Marc Bagwell

The progress is a fine razor

Shaver X likes this.
  19. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I already have a perfect razor: iKon X3. It is having a huge gap but so little exposure that I hardly feel any blade at all. Even my son who tried it dry on his skin said that it was smooth.

20. Marc Bagwell

Awes9me. Glad you have the perfect razor.