Which blade to try first

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by kurtmill, Jan 13, 2015.

?

Which blade should I start with

1. Astra Superior Platinum

47.1%
  2. Derby Extra

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Shark Super Chrome

5.9%
  4. Nacet Platinum

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Nacet Stainless

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Gillette Silver Blue

23.5%
  7. Gillette 7 O'clock (green package)

17.6%
  8. Bic Chrome Platinum

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Blue Bird

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Feather Hi Stainless

5.9%
  1. kurtmill

kurtmill Active Member

I just got a sample pack and wanted to know which blade I should start with. Please keep in mind I've only been using a safety razor for about three months.

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

It doesn't matter, pick one and go for it. Happy Shaving.

Chuck F, dbersh, Jostalli and 2 others like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Toss one of each into a paper bag, shake 'em up, close your eyes and grab one.

Seriously, it doesn't matter. Just keep a log of some sort to remember what blades works and what blades don't.

4. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Agreed. If you believe you need some type of order then try them alphabetically.

Sevenbark, Chuck F and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Just be sure not to unwrap the blades before doing this, :shocked003: but yes just pick one and give it a go.

Jasio78 and trey06dmd like this.
  6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

One blade I would suggest you try that is not on your list is "Vikings Sword" they are made in the Personna plant in Israel. A little hard to find, but worth it IMO. I got mine from Liorfe on ebay. :)

7. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Astra SPs! They are just a good, average, inexpensive blade, then you can measure all others against it. You might find that you love them and that would be a bonus as they are so cheap! :)

8. Dan Reynolds

Dan Reynolds Member

Hi, celestino I've been thinking of trying the Astra blades, new to DE shaving myself since Christmas, the razor came with Dorco blades have since bought some Walgreens Israeli personna's but I think I like the Dorco's better in this razor but I'm wanting to try something different, just thought I'd see what you think. Thanks Dan Reynolds

9. TCBENNETT55

TCBENNETT55 Active Member

If the sampler has Astra try first. Then keep a record of how each blade performs. Remember to keep other variables constant. Welcome to TSD

spacehobo likes this.
  10. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

Anyone but the Feather.........

TCBENNETT55 and BigMark like this.
  11. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

are you aware he now has his website ? Liorfe.com

12. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Yes I always forget the name, it's just easier to remember ebay. The site is called "Tierra Santa Shaving".

13. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Yes, the Viking's Sword are great. Another very good blade is the Gillette Platinum, they are not the cheapest but I get 6-7 shaves out of one blade,worth trying

14. swarden43

Why? It's sharp, just like all the other blades. It cuts, that's why we buy 'em, just like all the other blades.
    And just like all the other blades, it will bite you if you don't watch your technique.

15. F. Dragos

F. Dragos Active Member

Yeah but the thing is that if he starts with the Feathers he might not like the other blades after. I've seen it happen to people :)

16. swarden43

Agreed. That's why I insist it doesn't matter.
    If all blades are YMMV, that includes Feathers.