Which Boar is held as *BEST* ??

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by MikekiM, Apr 28, 2011.

1. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I dare not ask which is the best boar, but we all know there are items in all categories that are most coveted, most highly rated and in general, considered to be the most desired.

What says TSD on the topic of most desirable boar brush? Which is it and why?

My den has two boar brushes.. The Semogue 2010 Custom Boar and an Omega 80005 (thanks to Aaron aka sodapopjones). Each is slightly different and choosing one over the other, is tough. When I first tried the Semogue, before it had broken in, I wavered minute to minute on whether I would keep it. But now that it is broken in, I love it. And while the Omega left Aaron cold, I enjoy it's unique differences as much as I do the Semogue.

wombadom likes this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

For me personally its the Omega 10098. Used it for years , its big knotted, great broken in, cheap as chips and very much the style of an old time barber brush, though plastic instead of wood handle. Omega needs praising because I have a number of their brushes and they are really well made standing up to daily use with no shedding or needed pampering. Haven't tried anymore boars because I don't think this can be topped in my book.

Judging by the number of shaving pics on the various forums this brush must now be a best seller because everyone seems to have it.

Attached Files:

wombadom likes this.
  3. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Good question, I can't wait to see if there's "A" brush that stands out, what about Vulfix, Vie-Long, EJ, etc.

4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Can't post a pic but I would say the Omega 81052. It feels broke in out of the box when wet, some say a touch floppy but I find it just right.

5. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I was fully expecting a stream posts praising SOC's..

6. Williams Warrior

The Semogue brushes right now are the flavor of the week on all the other forums, but they don't seem to be as popular on this site for some reason. I don't have one myself but don't see how it would do anything different than any other brand of boar.

7. Moe

Moe Active Member

I'm not a big boar user either, but can't say i've ever tried one of the "popular" brands/models, so perhaps i'd feel different if I did.

8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

When I started wetshaving, I had a beechwood handled Omega and that was a fantastic brush. Stupidly I passed it along to a friend that was developing interest in DE wetshaving. He still uses it daily.

I have two UK (Vulfix?) boar knots from TGN and really like both of them.

Other then that, the only experience is Vulfix 404, but that is a mixed badger/boar knot. It's an excellent brush. I just wish the knot was slightly larger.

9. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I have one of the original lot of SOC brushes. They are great boar brushes; however, my boar brush experience is limited to cheap boar (burma, VDH, generic....) brushes and Semogues. I couldn't begin to compare them with other quality brands.

10. NoahG

NoahG Member

I recently fell back in love with my Omega 10049, I d been neglecting it for my black badger, but gave it a good shampooing and a borax soak and it's now incredibly soft, its only drawback, its a MONSTER, like it takes up half my face. :eek:

11. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I love the 10098 that Hanzo is talking about...
    But my favorite is the little travel brush..the 10029 Baby-Pro
    I got it to travel with, but its such a work horse, never sheds, and makes big lather, holds enough for 3 generous passes easy...And because of its size its very easy to put the lather exactly where I want it, without making a mess...So now its my everyday go-to...
    But for a full size brush I don't think you could do better than the Omega 10098...

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

You're right if the knot was slightly bigger and maybe a little longer the 404 would be perfect, I'd own two or three. I have a boar/horsehair mix from Vie Long and its nice too, good backbone soft tips seems like the 404 to be a soap brush.

13. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I only have 2 boar, the Omega 100066(??) and the new SOC brush. I never really liked the omega as it didn't hold much lather. The SOC brush is way better than the omega (IMO), but involved a rather trying time to break it in...about 1.5 months of daily use and extra/practice lathers. I had almost given up hope when all of a sudden it was broken in. Now it is my best brush (out of the 3 i own:o). Don't get me wrong, it lathered amazing the whole time...it is just much better now.

his is my oppinion on the matter...with my little knowledge! :happy102

14. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I hope someone with the knowledge can clear this up. For years I have thought that boar was boar that unlike badger there are no grades of boar bristle and its all the same, except in how the manufacturer might process it, for example trimming it . Is it safe to say all the boars from Semogue, to Omega to Vulfix differ only in knot size and handle(hilt) and not in bristle quality?

wombadom likes this.
  15. Williams Warrior

Good question. I also thought boar was boar, the exception was the VDH brushes that are clipped. They are amazing when they finally break in though.

16. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I doubt that all boar hair is the same. There would certainly be differences in the source of the hair. Granted, these will probably be minor compared to the larger variances in badger hair. However, even if all boar hair is the same, the knots are packed and/or tied differently with different lengths and different densities.

17. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

I was actually thinking of the same question to ask tonight. I may put a Omega boar on my next west coast order or by one of fleabay.

18. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Not true, there are indeed different grades of boar hair, Tieste or Bruno should be able to comment further in detail with what is what.

Mike Brown likes this.
  19. Tforc

Tforc Member

omega

My Bro loaned me his Omega #5 works very good will be getting my own soon unless i pry this one form him. I havent had any lather problems so far but i have to learn the sweet spot between wet lather and dry.
    B:D

Attached Files:

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have the Omega 10049 and 10098. I have the Semogue 2000. I have a vintage Mohawk 3-338. I also have several other boars.

They have all broken in very nice. The best? Can't say. They all get the job done to my satisfaction. I would buy any one of them again.