Which brush?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by rowdi, Nov 8, 2013.

1. rowdi

rowdi New Member

Hi

Im looking for some help choosing a shaving brush

It will be my first decent brush and i am relatively new to it all so i probably don't know what i want to be honest
    I may face lather or I may bowl lather
    i would want to try soaps and creams, ( I've ordered a mikes natural soap but also have a proraso cream)
    What size knot and handle would be best

I am specifically looking at these ones. They are in my price range and I want a badger

1. Edwin Jagger 1EJ946SDS Traditional English Best Badger

2. Whipped Dog Silvertip
    3.New Forest 1901 Super Badger Two Band
    4. New Forest 2031 Super Badger
    5. New Forest 2041 Best Badger

Thank you in advance for your help

2. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

What brush do you use now?

3. rowdi

rowdi New Member

I brush which I have no idea what it is. It's very scratchy

4. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

I haven't tried any of those, but I find several recommendations for the Whipped Dog silvertip.

5. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Raven312 likes this.
  6. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I don't think you'd go wrong with a Whipped Dog silvertip. I don't have one but I do have a silvertip I made with a TGN knot and I'd imagine they're pretty similar knots. As far as size, I think 22mm is a good size. Big enough to hold 3 passes worth of lather. Not so big that it gets lather in your ears and nose :). For handles, pick one you like.

7. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

My primary brush that I've been using for the last 3 1/2 years is the EJ Best Badger size Medium. It feels great on the face soft, but with good back bone and doesn't shed. In fact when I started traditional wet shaving that was the most recommended brush.

8. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I have a New Forest 1901, along with a Tubby 1, in the Super Badger Two Band. Excellent little brush. One of the best buys I've ever made. I've a Whipped Dog in silvertip too another great brush, but I find myself reaching for that 1901 so often.

9. rowdi

rowdi New Member

thanks guys