Which DE blade would you try next?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Coach Mike, Apr 9, 2022.

1. Coach Mike

Coach Mike New Member

When I made my first purchase of wet shaving products, I added this "Premium Safety Razor Blade Sampler" to the cart as I was getting my Merkur 34C, with the goal of trying each blade in all the different razors I picked up. In hindsight I likely should have just stuck with one setup for the first month or so as I dialed in my technique, but that realization came after I had already started, so I decided to keep going.

I led off with the Merkur Super Platinum that came with the 34C, then the Vikings Blade Mild that came with the Chieftan I bought elsewhere. Next I tried the Astra Superior Platinum from the sampler. I'm endeavoring to work up from 'smooth' to 'sharp' as best as I can through the 9 varieties it included. I've got the Feathers pegged for the end, but any recommendations as to what I should try next and in what order?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    Angelo85 likes this.
  2. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Try these following blades.
    Voskhod
    Shark Super Chrome
    Zaza
    Laser Ultra
    Lord Platinum
    Wilkinson Sword (made in Germany)
    Gillette Silver Blue
    Bolzano

3. Coach Mike

Coach Mike New Member

There are a few in there that I'd like to try at some point, but from the 8 others in the sampler I linked to (I already gave the Astra its test run), which would you try next (from smooth to sharp)? I can see how my OP wasn't worded quite clearly enough, so I'll go back in and edit it now. Thanks!

4. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Ah gotcha. Here’s my rundown.
    Derby Premium
    Euromax
    Sharp
    Personna Platinum
    Gillette Platinum
    Gillette Perma Sharp
    Feather

Coach Mike likes this.
  5. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

When I switched to wet shaving I started with Feathers so I might not be much help.
    Astra SP is one of the best blades on the market so you might be disappointed with the Sharp and/or the Perma Sharp and maybe the Personna.
    Maybe try:
    Gillette Platinum
    Personna
    Derby Premium
    Feather (yellow) - not sure if there's a difference between the two Feather packs other than quantity

brit likes this.
  6. Coach Mike

Coach Mike New Member

Went with the Derby today, thanks for the recommendations!

Angelo85 likes this.
  7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I have made a Photo reference of blades that I have used over the last 4 years and used the Gillette Astra as a standard to compare other blades. Its my personal ball park view, I like the blades that are sharp & smooth crossing into the sharpest column seem to work well for my shaving needs. GSB & Gillette 7oClock SP are excellent and use them a lot.
    Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

MoAllen, brit and Coach Mike like this.