Which DE Razor Gave You The Closest Shave On Your First Pass ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by well-groomed, Feb 17, 2019.

1. well-groomed

well-groomed Member

For me it was my Clauss German travel razor.

RyX and Frijolero like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Kinda hate to say this but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone...because of years of practiced technique and a medium weight beard, I can get BBS in one pass with any razor I own, including various cartridges. I don't always, but I can.

TTT: Technique Trumps Tools.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  3. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

My shimmed 1955 Gillette Red Tip Superspeed loaded with a Spoiler. With this setup I can go with a single pass with some touch ups on the neck, and jawline, and be good to go with a smooth almost bbs shave.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

gorgo2, RyX and brit like this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I make three passes.

brit likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

most of my gillettes take most in the first wtg pass.a second combination xtg/atg pass/with touch ups ,dfs+

AGHisBBS, Hodge and Enrico like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I don't try to get a BBS with any razor. That would mean I would have to start out ATG, for me, that would be a recipe for nicks, irritation, and an uncomfortable shave. A Straight Razor does me better, with a one pass shave.

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

2011 Mühle R41.
    Secondary passes are almost unnecessary.
    Like @DaltonGang , I am primarily an SR user but this version of the R41 is the closest I get to an über-smooth single pass with a DE razor.

MR41, Primotenore, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm intrigued Clayton. I enjoy the efficiency of my A4 Red Tip and would be interested in trying a shim if it improved service. I am a shim virgin, but shim curious.

By shimming you place a trimmed blade under or over the blade for use? How much is trimmed off the edge of the shim? I've not tried Spoiler blades so can you recommend a good alternative blade?

brit and Edison Carter like this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Probably my Ikon Tech but I'm not an efficiency freak so it's not a huge selling point.

AGHisBBS and brit like this.
  10. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

The shim is under the blade. I just trim it enough to remove the cutting edges so that it does not interfere with the Spoilers cutting edges. Your favorite A-4 Red Tip blade should still do the job for you. My other favorite blade for my Red Tip is a Polsilver Super Iridium.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Jabez 58, AGHisBBS, brit and 2 others like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011:

AGHisBBS, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  12. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

The Gillette Super Slimtwist. It's strange, though, that I never use it. Really liked it, great shave, and then moved on.

brit likes this.
  13. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I would generally say it's with my Weber 3pc. S/S Polished Head 85 mm Classic Handle, and then of course my 1967 M-3 Gillette Knack TTO/DE.
    The bottom line is it's not the razor or the technique, as @gorgo2 said. I would also have to say it's the razor blade not the razor. I usually need at least 2 passes and that's with any Wilkinson Sword Classic DE Blades. That's my view on your question. It's not the Razor but the Razor blade.

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  14. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi all, as far as ultra sharp blades go, I would have to say the Bolzano Superinox Inossadable blades are my personal favorite. In my experience a standard Gillette Old Type either Ball End or Single Ring, or model 102, or model 102A, would fit the build. A Bolzano, and an Old Type would meet your needs. Truly a one pass combination.
    Peace.

RyX likes this.
  15. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Mühle Rocca with a Feather blade gives a really good first pass. My go-to when I plan a single pass shave.

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

i don t find the knack/slim twist very attractive to look at.probably why i have never tried one.i don't use my black handled ss much either.great shaves , but the plastic look doesn't appeal to me..

PatrickA51 and mvd like this.
  17. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

If it’s one and done it will be the Muhle R41 (2013). It was my second DE after my EJ89lbl which I still have and use. One pass with any blade in inventory and I am good to go but a Polsilver in it is magical.

brit likes this.
  18. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

None in one pass. Very multi-directional growth.

BigMark83 and brit like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

if i had to do a one pass shave i would use my #58 ,flat plate aristocrat jr ,or 60s small head flaretip rocket..these are very efficient razors to me..across the grain with slick soap may get the job done,a touch up or 2,.never tried..

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Et tu Brute?

My answer to the OP....since you ask for DE....1908 single ring.

Terry, Frijolero and brit like this.