Which do you guys prefer if either....

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Latherman87, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

Simpson or Kent brushes..... I am looking to purchase one of these brushes in the near future ....not right now because from the prices I have found...they are gonna leave me lagging a bit until I can get enough saved up.....I want a good soft tip badger but no floppy business..... I prefer bigger handles with some good weight to em. Anyone have decent priced brush that meets this criteria in mind? Where is the best place to find them for the best price?

2. Shayne Redfearn

Shayne Redfearn Active Member

i would love to be of help but i have always stuck with my trusty rooney brush....i love it more than anything...i had an edwin once and hated it!!!

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

When you say larger handle, do you mean wider or longer?

I don't have and haven't used a Kent brush, but from what I have read they are primarily Luxurious (floppy). There are a few members here with them, hopefully they will chime in with their experiences.

The only Simpson I have is a Chubby 2 in Best. It's a stout, albeit short handle with a great face feel. It is soft enough, but not floppy. I picked it from Truefitt & Hill with one of the forum discounts. IIRC, it was just over $100 when I got it.

I'm down to just 2 boar brushes and the Chubby. If you want a large brush, with backbone and nicely soft tips (once broken in), check out a boar. They are a fraction of the cost of a big badger. Omega, Semogue, Koh-I-Nor, Vulfix and a few others make some quality products. Another treat for about $30 US is the Vulfix 404 Grosvenor. It has a solid lathe turned handle and a mixed Badger and Boar knot.

4. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I know absolutely nothing about either brush but............ on looks alone a Kent. My dream brush would be a BK8 or 12, even if it didn't work, I'd be content just to look at it.

5. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

You answered your own post and didn't even know it!

6. Latherman87

Bahahaha thank you man!!! You just helped me a ton!! Which simpson model would be good though?

7. Sodapopjones

What size knot, handle, density, price etc are you looking for?

8. Latherman87

I just posted a comment on your facebook pic of the Simpson chubby I was asking about it......I honestly dont know a thing about the diameter/knot of brushes etc.......I just know the general specs that I am lookin for in a brush....price probably around 100....depending how excited I get lol...handle really doesnt matter as long as its not too light. I like some weight.

9. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Isn't the Duke D2 a good Simpsons starter that is mid road for knot size? seems to be popular around here.

10. Sodapopjones

Eh... Well my CH2 is a little more than twice your budget, but you might want to try a Duke 3, like Lyndon just picked up.

The Colonel is cheaper and what I generally consider a good "Starter" Simpson, solid handle as well...

Latherman87 likes this.
  11. Moe

Moe Active Member

Colonel X2L seems to get a lot of good play for being a good Simpons starter brush (as stated above). I had one, sold it, then regretted it anf bought another. It has soft "Simpsons Best" hair, backbone is IMO much much better than the Kent BK4 that I had, It is not overly expensive, works well for face or bowl lathering. Is a middle of the road knot size and loft. I also have Duke 3, great brush, but shorter handle, seems better suited for face lathering, but you certainly can bowl lather with it, I imagine the D2 would be good as well.