Which Knot?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by WhiskerWhacker, Mar 6, 2015.

1. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

I am going to order a Silvertip and would like some advice. The brush will not need a lot of backbone. I plan to use mostly creams and croaps with it and face lather. I am leaning toward one of these knots but am having a hard time pulling the trigger. I just don't have experience or knowledge about silvertips.

Super Badger
    Finest 2 Band

Any advice, please?

2. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

I vote for the finest 2 band. I'm also a face latherer and that's the TGN knot that I chose when I restored a brush a couple of years ago.
    It's still my go to brush.

3. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

IMHO Whipped Dog is the place to go to for a brush, especially if you are not sure what you want. Go to the site and check it out, then send Larry an email, with the info from your post. He can help you decide, as he has helped countless folks on the Den. Also check out some of the posts in the Brush section,as there are many, many threads talking about experiences with different brushes. I have a few vintage brushes with the origional knots that I like a lot, so check the bay for some good deals. I have a WD 30/45 Silvertip that is my favorite brush. It's soft but set deep so you get good backbone. I mostly bowl lather with creams and croaps. I also have a WD knot set in an Olivewood handle that I did myself, that I also like a lot. Check today's SOTD. WD prices can not be beat for the quality an service that Larry gives. I will order from him again. Like is said this is my opinion. Happy hunting.

Herm2502 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I have a thread open for some advice as well. What every you do, can you come back and post an update here?

5. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

my vote is finest 2-band.

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I vote for the finest 2 band, too.

7. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

I would go 2 band also. I would like to know more about the Ace knots on eBay.

8. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

I have a WD HM and love it. He's been out of silvertips for awhile. I am going to go with the TGN 2 band and see how it is. The fan shape is something I don't have already.

9. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

TGN Finest for the win.

10. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

TGN would be my next choice also. A little more money, but Larry is out of Silvertips right now. I'm still waiting for a vintage brush handle that was shipped 2/15 from Miami. The tracking shows what appears to be a north polar route. The seller and I are having fun predicting where it will go next. I'm waiting to measure it for a knot, so I'm in no rush. Gee, the government does a great job running things, let's give them the Internet too! Oh, we did.

Mr. Droid likes this.
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I have the TGN Finest in two brushes. Be sure to post up pictures of the finished project.

12. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have 2 brushes from Oscar 11 I would vote olden NIB F2

Douglas Carey likes this.