Which menthol soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by tuxxdk, Aug 12, 2014.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Hello

I am looking for a mentholated soap, strength-wise like Proraso etc.

It must be available within EU or from an overseas vendor with reasonable shipping fees. If overseas, no more than 12 USD per order, due to taxes and customs.

For this search, I am not interested in Proraso (I have the cream).

Any suggestions? Calani perhaps?

SHAVEWIZARD420 and Slow Joe like this.
  2. R-C

R-C Member

Maybe try Ingram's?

3. tuxxdk

I didn't know they made soaps. I've heard a lot about the cream. I'll try and see if I can locate it :) thnx

R-C likes this.
  4. R-C

R-C Member

My first forum mistake: I didn't read "soap," sorry.

RaZorBurn123 and tuxxdk like this.
  5. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I would get 1 glacial wintergreen puck and 1 unscented. Load the brush with the unscented and then about 2 swirls of the glacial. I think that would be colder than proraso hahaha =P but it's not 12$

FatherofSquirrel, Yehuda D and R-C like this.
  6. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I type that because because stirlings glacial wintergreen smells really really nice. But man it's cold!

Yehuda D likes this.
  7. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Yehuda D and Paul Turner like this.
  8. tuxxdk

Stirling and Ginger - check! I'll see what their shipping is, they might be a good choice.

Seems the Calani Ice Angel is not cooling, only menthol for aroma.

Yehuda D likes this.
  9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Just picked Razorock "Brain Freeze".

Yehuda D likes this.
  10. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

If you're looking for things in the EU that may be cheaper, there is the Valobra menthol option however I don't think its as strong as Proraso Green. Menthol creams across Europe, N.Africa and the Middle East seem to be far more popular and henceforth, available.

Yehuda D likes this.
  11. tuxxdk

Yeah, creams are far more available.

It seems when it comes to soaps, it's either there for aroma or there to freeze your face off. Why not a middleground like eg. Arko Ice Mint or Proraso green? I keep wonder...

I'll take a look at Valobra, thanks :)

Yehuda D likes this.
  12. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Thanks for starting this thread i've been wondering the same thing myself.

Yehuda D and tuxxdk like this.
  13. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

Stirling just set up with a UK vendor to try and reduce shipping. I think they have pucks and samples, not sure on the price though. http://shavingtime.co.uk

Yehuda D, brit and tuxxdk like this.
  14. R-C

R-C Member

I also have and love the Stirling glacial wintergreen, but, you say you are looking for something milder. When I use it I start crying and have snot bubbles. lol.

They do make some nicer, lower menthol though, I quite like the black licorice, for example. Their soaps are great quality, well scented and economical so I thumbs up the other suggestions to try them if you can :)

brit, Yehuda D and tuxxdk like this.
  15. tuxxdk

The Stirling Orange Chill sounds pretty nice!

Cool there is a EU vendor.

16. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The two coldest are the Stirling Glacial range and Bundubeard’s Kameelperd’s Kick from South Africa.

Frijolero likes this.
  17. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I don't care for the freeze my face off feeling while shaving a nice mild cooling effect would see a lot of use from me. Post shave is different, I'm perfectly happy with a freeze your face off product.

Yehuda D and Frijolero like this.
  18. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Then definitely skip those two. Cryogen and Krampert's Finest Frostbite too.

Most anything else will be milder, even if the name sounds really cold. Dr Jon's Arctic Hydra jumps to mind. I don't think they make that one anymore though.

A few more that are cool, not cold:
    Meissner Tremonia Mint Ice Menthol.
    Wholly Kaw Fern Concerto.
    Edwin Jagger Cooling Menthol.

Tcheon Fung Sing Sottozero has been on my radar for a while, but I haven't gotten around to trying it.

Yehuda D and PLAla like this.
  19. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips, I have tried the EJ and Valobra and the Valobra is close.

Frijolero and Yehuda D like this.
  20. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Holy thread resurection Batman!

As for mentholated soaps available in EU, check out Phoenix & Beau from England. They have Denali which is a menthol/camphor, ecualyptus type of scent. Not a face freezer like Stirling Glacials or Soap Smooth Brain Freeze, but more tolarable and not overpowering.

Frijolero and Yehuda D like this.