Which menthol soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by tuxxdk, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I find Krampert’s Frostbite to be cold but not excessively. Sottozero is illogically named because in Italian it means below zero, yet I find the menthol effect to be rather mild. It’s still a pretty decent soap.

Frijolero likes this.
  2. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Still have to try Krampert's.
    But Stirling Cool used to be great. I think it is discontinued now.
    Eucalyptus Mint by stirling may be similar.

However, I like glacial level.

My first soap from stirling was the old wintergreen from a few years back.
    It was discounted due to something, I think it was an overabundance of menthol.
    I loved it however.

Frijolero and Yehuda D like this.
  3. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I remember the original Glacial soap that Rod launched. It was very difficult to lather because it wasn’t fully cured. I left it in an open container for a month and then it worked great. Since then Rod reformulated all the new Glacials and they work perfectly even with the huge menthol content.

FatherofSquirrel and Frijolero like this.
  4. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Frostbite is no glacial for sure. But it is colder than most. The aftershave much more so.

I kinda figured that would be the case with sottozero. When they try too hard to sound really cold, they usually miss the mark. Same thing happens with hot sauces. The ones with the most over-the-top names end up not being all that hot. Just plain names like "scotch bonnet sauce" are the ones that will really light you up.

Still, I'm a big fan of TFS. I will get to that one eventually.

Yehuda D likes this.
  5. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I have some Stirling Lemon Ice maybe I'll just buy some Stirling unscented and mix. If I want or need to add lemon scent that's an easy fix.

Yehuda D and brit like this.
  6. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Yep. That was the one. The lather was thick like yogurt, but for me it didn't affect performance. Of course that was when I first started Wet Shaving and had no real comparisons. Leaving it open was the key.

I also had clearance Lemon Chill from the same time that Rod said was "over mentholated." I don't know, but I loved it and was sad when it was gone.

I'm looking forward to my next order from Rod.
    I have to wait until payday this Friday, but I am getting the Autumn Glory AS-Glacial level of course, along with a new alum block, some body soap for SWMBO, and a Texas on Fire Cologne tester.

Wifey loves the mix of the Texas on Fire Shave soap with the Autumn Glory AS.
    By the way, Happy New year all.

Frijolero and Yehuda D like this.