which razor I should to buy? Merkur 34C\Parker Variant\Merkur Progress

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by idan, Feb 3, 2019.

?

which razor I should to buy? Merkur 34C\Parker Variant\Merkur Progress

1. Merkur 34C

2. Parker Variant

3. Merkur Progress

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. idan

idan Active Member

hello: I need advice What a razor buy: merkur 34C or Parker Variant or Merkur Progress ?

Right now I'm using Edwin Jagger DE89, and each time i shave against the direction i get cuts and it does not matter what blade I use (i tried few brands) it always happens to me . And I gently shave and do not press.
    *At the end of every shave my face burns.

*Another thing I should note:
    I feel like I'm a bit fighting in the first pass (With The Grain), and i need over those areas a few times for it to cut.

my prep: Hot water with a face for a minute and a half (in the sink, not a shower)
    And I use a simple shaving cream I bought at the local supermarket with omega boar shaving brush.

I have thick and dense bristles + sensitive skin that tends to razor bumps and cuts (I am cut only in the last pass against the direction of growth).

*My main dilemma is more between Merkur 34 and Parker Variant,
    the price of Merkur Progress is expensive ,But if you tell me it's worth the price then I'll buy it. (the price is a bit factor)
    So between the three merkur 34C , parker variant and Merkur Progress, which razor i should to buy?

many thanks
    idan.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  2. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

I have no experience with any of the 3 razors you are considering. However, I do own a Merkur 25C and I consider it a great razor. So far, I have only used Nacet Blades in it and I never get razor burn, or any nicks or cuts. For me, it's a great, smooth, close, shaving razor.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I voted for the Progress because I have not used the other two.

I think your issue is that your angle of attack is too steep. Search TSD for "riding the cap" and consider giving up on the ATG pass and do an XTG pass instead.

Orville likes this.
  4. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

How long have you been shaving with a DE?

Orville likes this.
  5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

You won't go wrong with any of them but your current razor is a good one too. I have all four that you mentioned and I can get a comfortable shave with any of them as long as I use a blade that agrees with me. I'd bet your problem is more in the cream or the blades you're using. Since you say you're having difficulty getting the blade to cut your whiskers, you might want to try a sharper one. What blades have you tried? We might be able to suggest something else for you to try.

6. brit

brit in a box

give the 30 dc thread a go..lots of great folks who can help with learning technique .

Orville likes this.
  7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I have both the Progress and the Variant. I find them similar, but I think I prefer the Variant.

Herm

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I will be the first to say it. The problem is not the razor or blade. You are using to much pressure or bad angle. Until you fix the technique issue what razor you buy will not matter.

Herm2502, Orville, Linuxguile and 7 others like this.
  9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

:signs011:

I would agree with Fuzzy, your angle and/or pressure is wrong. Don't hunt for the right razor, that will only lead to problems with other razors. Get your technique down first.

10. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Technique is very important but even with good technique you can't get a close comfortable shave unless the blade cuts your whiskers pretty easily. When you're trying to learn good technique, a blade that isn't sharp enough makes it very difficult to figure out what good technique is. I was in the same boat as OP for a while and it wasn't possible for me to shave without pulling the razor pretty hard through my whiskers. This led to a sore face in the best case and most of the time led to razor burn since when you're pulling the razor like that it's almost impossible to keep from applying some pressure in the wrong direction.

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Bull feathers. A sharp blade will cut. The whole this blade works better blah blah blah is silly. Blade is a blade as long as not damaged. A dollar store Dorco will shave just as good as a feather. (Some of the chinese blades and such are not sharp enough) your problem then and his problem now is technique driven. I am assuming there is not a defect with the razor. Telling folks to try different blades only sets them up to keep failing.

And before the blah blah starts I have a far from light beard. I use to preach blade too...then I grew up and learned how to use the tool. There are a bunch of videos on my channel using just plain ole Dorco blades in DE razors. I also use open blades and mostly SE and Injector razors now. A blade is a blade if not damaged and used in a razor that is not damaged with good technique.

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

AMEN!!

13. brit

brit in a box

i can tell ya that a derby blade tugs and pulls but a gsb doesn t. same razor and technique..3 ts..just saying..sharpness i guess..

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup. Derby is not one known for being sharp I think. Nothing will help a dull blade shave... well other then sharpening.

brit likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

yes sir,have you ever resharpened any vintage se blades?

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have not. @twhite has. @Jayaruh loves the ones Tom sharpened for him.

brit likes this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

very cool.have you ever used and liked a rolls or a wilkinson sword razor with their wedge type blades?..the wilkinson looks like a cool piece..

18. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

See, I really like that you come right out and say that. I'm relatively new to this forum but it's been very refreshing to read so many posts where the members call it as they see it (without a zillion responses reminding him that his mileage may very) and for the most part promote the idea of methods and technique over gear. So, without de-railing the thread too much I'll cast my vote for the 34C. But my advice would be to use your beautiful Edwin Jagger razor for a good while longer and research prep and technique. Then experiment with prep and technique until you've narrowed down a solution that uses them, rather than equipment, or at least until every other variable has been sorted out and it only leaves the gear in question.
    But I've received my share of heat on a different forum :innocent for sharing my heretical views such as:
    Derby Extra blades actually are sharp and get very smooth after the first shave.
    High end razors don't matter much, if at all.
    There is no such thing as "blade chatter". Searching for rigid razors is ridiculous.
    Zamac razors can last a very, very....long time if you keep them clean, and don't overtighten them.
    I could go on but, I'll save it in case I get too popular here and need the ammo in the future.

19. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

The Rolls is good if you put a killer edge on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Norcalnewb and brit like this.
  20. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Technique is important, but it does help to have the right tools. While I rarely get cut these days... if I were to put, say, a Bic Chrome Platinum blade in my Merkur Futur and adjust it up a couple of notches then I'd just be asking for trouble.
    Regarding the razors you listed, I used both a 34C and a Progress for many years. The 34C is a classic and everyone should own one so that's my recommendation, along with an assortment of blades. For blades, there are so many to choose from, so my advice would be Derby, Astra SP, and Feather. Try each one for two weeks and pick the one you like best in the 34C. Then stick with that combination and work on your technique until youre getting clean, comfortable shaves, which.may be up to a year. From there you can start experimenting with other blades and razors.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Frijolero, brit and johnnyflake like this.