which razor I should to buy? Merkur 34C\Parker Variant\Merkur Progress

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by idan, Feb 3, 2019.

?

which razor I should to buy? Merkur 34C\Parker Variant\Merkur Progress

1. Merkur 34C

2. Parker Variant

3. Merkur Progress

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ben2shave

Ben2shave New Member

Well I'd save my money.

I picked up the Mingshi 2000S. During the first week I tried out different blades, dismantled it and messed with it a bit wondering if it would get better...
    After about a month I just found it friendlier... I'm sure it's me and not the hardware... but blades I thought were bad now feel smooth.

So now I throw in an Astra Stainless, or a Mingshi, or a Wilkinson sword, or a Thai Super Thin and just go to it...

Hot shower first - if it's 2 days I put baby oil on and wash it clean with hot water before getting out the shower... turn up water to hot and fill my shave bucket (with my razor and glasses inside so they don't steam up...).

I don't like '3 pass' nonsense, and I'm skeptical about needing a layer of white cream.... I swipe my Arko stick across my cheeks and back under my chin and lather.
    The biggest issue I have is drying... my face dries fast here so I must put on more hot water every 3-4 strokes.

Now, 2 months after starting, I get zero cuts and zero weepers. I go at it against the grain except across my chinline - I have prominent scars under there, so I go from right to left (against the grain) gently... about 3-4 strokes gets it clean... then up and down from chin to bottom lip, then pulling down from under my nose and finally pulling up if I need it BBS.

I like to press. The razor presses, not the blade - the blade is between the bars of the razor so that 'pressure' makes mostly the difference to stretch the skin out and help catch a bit more hair. Generally 3 strokes and it's all silent (Mingshi is noisy as it catches and cuts hairs).

It's probably not a 'less agressive' razor that you need. Just practice warming up and (like driving) autonomous skill building. The problem is that one cut will set you back a week... after I cut my chin I regressed until fully a week later leaving it practically stubbly.

Frijolero and Hembree like this.
  2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I think this depends on your whiskers. Dorco blades aren't that bad. They're sharp enough and I can use them. I still haven't found a Gem type SE that I can use. They all tug horribly for me. Injectors are a favorite of mine but I did try an old carbon steel blade in excellent condition once and there's no amount of technique that would have got me a good shave with that blade. So after quite a bit of trial and error I've found that blades are not all equal. I suppose this could be a YMMV aspect of shaving. It seems to me there's a threshold of sharpness you need to easily cut your whiskers and not everyone's whiskers are the same. There are quite a few blades that are below that threshold for me. There are also quite a few that are above it. I have found that there are lots of blades that are just barely above that threshold, and with those I can get a comfortable shave but it won't be very close. You may be able to shave with any old blade but you shouldn't assume it's the same for everyone.

Ben2shave, brit and Frijolero like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I think the big question is where to get the edge. I have a Rolls (and a Wilkinson for that matter) I would love to get honed to shave with.

Ben2shave, Frijolero and twhite like this.
  4. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

The razor you're using now is a fine razor. I'm not sure moving to another razor is going to solve your problems. If you're having issues with the WTG pass, something's wrong and it's likely technique. I usually don't like to say that because it makes shaving sound like some arcane art, and its not.

Technique, to me, means more than just razor skills; it also means proper beard prep. I don't care how skillfully you wield your razor, if you have thin, airy, un-slick or un-cushioning lather, you're not going to have a comfortable, efficient shave. Start there and move up to razor skills.

Personally, with what you described, I wouldn't go changing a bunch of stuff all at once. IMO, just about any razor with any blade should get you past the problems you're seeing now. I'd start with looking at some videos on proper lathering -- what the lather should look and feel like -- and move on to razor skills.

Ben2shave, wchnu, brit and 1 other person like this.
  5. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Don't blame the clutch if you can't drive a standard. Doesn't matter what razor and blade combo you use, until.you get the basics down, you will always be chasing a result that us a pipe dream.
    If razors and blades were that important then every one would have a slant razor, and feather blades.
    It's all horse hockey. Fix your angle and pressure and you will be fine.

Also, as noted before, stop by the 30.day crew. Great group.of guys there and IF you really want to learn, they are there to help.
    Don't even get me startrd on the "sensitive skin" your skin is sensitized, but not sensitive.

Frijolero, Ben2shave, wchnu and 2 others like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I love a wedge shave. I have Kampfe/ Star and GEM razors that use wedge blades. There are videos on my youtube. Great shaves with a well honed and stroped blade.

Welcome to the club. I like how you think.

If you have a razor and blade that you can not use you need more practice. There is no such thing as too aggressive a blade. It all comes down to pressure and angle. Different tools are neat..they all work the same though.
    That is why your not getting good shaves friend. With good technique anyone can shave with any good tool. YMMV is a cop out for not having solid technique. Until you develope that technique you will be chasing the rainbow....that is only fun if your hunting skittles.

Hembree, Frijolero and Ben2shave like this.
  7. ordinaryshaver

Wow, fuzzy on a roll tonight!

wchnu and Ben2shave like this.
  8. Ben2shave

Ben2shave New Member

I picked up a super non-agressive 'Weishi'. Nice device, but hard to get it to cut the hair... and at the end of a shave I'd done so much work my skin was actually more abused from multiple passes with increasing pressure...

I wouldn't watch any more videos about lathering. I wipe my Arko across and scrub until there's lather - then try to collect most of that in the brush... actually I'm only really interested that it's not getting dry, so I do a quick lather and have hot water to dip my fingers to add slickness as it dries (and it's drying fast during a 2 minute shave here...).

Apart from lathering up, there's no need to paint your whole face up for each pass. Indeed, there's a lot to be said for 1. putting some hot water on with your fingers, stroke to feel the hair 2. swipe the brush over it 3. pass the razor WTG if it's long (or skip this) and then again ATG to cut it off. I think I used to do about 3-4 strokes with a Mach3 to get it down, and it's about the same with the single blade razor (so much for 'lift and cut' - just the metal bar pushing and stretching the skin as the razor passes does the job). I can apply a lot of pressure without fear that the blade will bite in and draw blood because the razor presses my face, not the blade...

If the razor snags, then go for two WTG strokes next time. Also hold the razor at 90 degrees to your face and slowly do short passes increasing angle until the blade JUST starts catching the hair. If your face is wet and there's any soap there, there shouldn't be any problem at all.

I now feel that a blade cannot be too aggressive - the aggressiveness just limits how careless you can be banging and pushing it into your face. For me, under my nose, I wind the blade out ALL the way so I'm hardly using the razor at all, mostly just applying and scraping the blade down to remove the hair.

Visiting barbers here in Thailand - they don't use soap or brushes, just a cheap shavette... basically just naked (and DRY) razor blade, they dust a little baby powder so that it won't stick, then they take the hair off your neck, inside ears and earlobes - no problems... so basically you don't need any razor to shave, only the blade. Realising this will make you focus less on the razor and more on how you hold it.

So yes, YMMV. I ditched 90% of the advice and tips from the video's and forums and just get my shave done and move on with the day - and I feel great.

Wanna buy something new? 1. Learn with this - very hard work but teaches you how to get the hair to the blade https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BAI...lgo_pvid=2342cd50-d1a3-467f-b7b9-08968af72125

2. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MIN...lgo_pvid=75ed04fd-6d56-4d75-b995-7696612c62e7 For me, never need to bother buying another razor... adjust to make the shave work easier than the first one and just use the damn thing.

Both of these cheaper than any of your options, so I didn't vote.

Hembree likes this.
  9. Ben2shave

Ben2shave New Member

My first experience with Astras and with Thai super thins was very bad. Revisiting them 1 month later they feel just the same as my Wilkinson Swords... tonight I'm going to load up 'Gillette Blue Blades' which got really bad reviews to see just how much variation there is - because right now I'm feeling super confident - like I can use anything except a spoon to get the job done.

Hembree likes this.
  10. ordinaryshaver

Ok. We are gonna have to show this in a video one day.
    I'm telling you, just as sure as Good made little green apples that bloom in the spring time, why go chase something when you have every thing you need.
    This is a problem in fishing, shooting, hunting, photography..... You name it and people think they have to have the latest and greatest, when in reality most of the time you just suck at technique and it is easier to blame a tool, than it is to develop good technique.....
    Work on your angle, or better yet, get a vintage SE razor, the angle is built it. Shave with one of those for 3 weeks, then tell me that a blade isn't a blade.
    3 or 4 choices at best. But, then again, most folks won't, simply because if they do, they will understand that a blade is a blade is a blade.....

11. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Why do you think I'm not getting good shaves? I get pretty fantastic shaves and I'd consider my technique solid. We'll have to disagree on YMMV I guess. What works for you doesn't work for me and that's all the evidence I need for the existence of YMMV.

brit, Hembree and Frijolero like this.
  12. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Be honest: how often do you shave with a BCP in a Futur cranked wide open? Just curious. I've done it several times but I find shaving is easier backing it down two notches and putting an Astra SP in there. But that's just me, and I need more practice. Hey, I just installed a new chain in my Husqvarna saw today, maybe you'd care to give it a go for your shave tomorrow? Different tools are neat, they all work the same. It just comes down to pressure and angle.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  13. Orville

Orville Active Member

You should definitely refine your technique, I'm still doing it and I keep getting better shaves no matter which razor I use. I would add that you can buy a variety pack of blades and experiment with them as I currently am.

This forum is a gold mine of information, I am still learning things every time I check in here. I wouldn't worry too much about throwing money at razors until you can get a cut free shave with what you have. It'll just save you time and money as well as frustration. I can shave with any of my DE's now without a cut and my SR shaving has improved a good deal as well just by listening and deciding technique was what I lacked.(and still do to a lesser degree now).
    It's funner and more satisfying to improve than just chase product. Happy shaving ! ;):happy088::shaver

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Ugh dangit. sorry about that. Quoted the wrong person for my rant.

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

If I had that razor I would keep it cranked open with whatever blade. It is how I do. wide open is the only acceptable setting on an adjustable.
    Your chain saw is not a shaving tool. So I will ignore that part. At least stay on subject.

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Awesome post..

17. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Quite honestly, I have shaved with the Futur on the full range of settings, and the shave is the same every time. The gap difference between settings is one of the least important parts of the how the razor shaves. Look at the angle of the blade in comparison to the head, it is exactly the same every time. With the same technique, the shave is exactly the same, no matter gap. I would agree that the possibility of cut goes up with the larger gap, but this is a technique issue, not a razor issue. My guess is most people get a little intimidated by the gap, and this affects their shave. I know I did the first few times I tried it. Just for the record, I have also used this razor with GSB, Feather, and just about any other blade I have and wide open and as closed as it gets. The shaves are always the same.

18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011:

Frijolero and Norcalnewb like this.
  19. ordinaryshaver

Here we go again.
    To the OP, if you want to buy one if those razors because it looks cool, or you think its neat, and shiny. Then go ahead. It's your money. You do you.
    However, if you want to develop true technique and actually learn, then do what we are saying.
    Stick with the same razor and the same blade, the same brush, and the same soap for 30 days. Once you do that, and your technique is committed to muscle memory, then come back and tell us all that the idiom of a blade is a blade and a razor is a razor, isn't true .
    2 things will happen.
    1. You will.see that we are right, and that it truly is all about technique.
    2. You will see that we are right that it truly is about technique, but you won't want to admit it..
    Good luck, I truly do hope find time to master your shaves .
    My guess is though, you won't.

Norcalnewb, Leclec13 and dbersh like this.
  20. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I completed the 30 day challenge with one brush, razor, soap and one brand of blade back in December and I can tell you it does work. It improved my technique. Give it a try. You will not be disasspointed.

Frijolero, Orville and Norcalnewb like this.