Which Schick Ejector is Best?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by johnnyflake, Jan 17, 2019.

1. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

I am considering trying a Schick Ejector Razor. I hear them mentioned a lot. For those of you with experience with these razors, I must ask which model do you prefer? I have heard the "E", "L" and 500 Models mentioned often, in what I have been reading.

You expertise and input will be appreciated.

Frijolero, RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

"I-2" Hydromagic. Middle of the road aggressive, easy cleaning, great handling, cheap.

3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Injector

Ejector is the passenger seat in James Bond's Aston Martin

I like J's (500's are long handled J's), L's, and I's the most but I've also got E's and G's and I just got a D

brit, Frijolero, johnnyflake and 6 others like this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

You'll get different answers on here, but I do agree with @jmudrick on the Hydro-Magic. It delivers great shaves without being overly aggressive and with it's lever, very easy to clean.

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'll paraphrase Chris @Bama Samurai, "Injectors are gateway razors to Straights". The blades are thicker than DE blades and can give longer service life. Most commonly available got nicknamed Chicks. They are labeled Schick and made in China. Other folks have purchased alternatives that come in a similar type blade dispenser that's missing the key for doing that inject thing.

Schick didn't make up the Type (insert a letter) naming scheme. There's a bunch of information to tell them apart HERE. Generally the earlier in the alphabet a razor is named, the more aggressive (or efficient) it shaves. Type E are about the earliest commonly available. I believe Type O was the end of Schick's run. Other makers have built similar form factor blade holders. PAL is one, and there are several modern razors available in a variety of finishes or metals.

I prefer efficient, aggressive razors. Type E & G shave well for me. I have a Type M that is adjustable and it stays near the aggressive end of the dial.

Not a Schick, but modeled to take the same blades with a level of adjustability because of the three interchangeable open combs - The Bunny. It's a prototype built by TSD member Tom @twhite & tested by many TSD members in a world wide pass around.
    B-V3.1.gif

Spyder, Frijolero, jtspartan and 4 others like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

E-2, if you like them a little on the aggressive side. Lightweight, maneuverable, incredibly efficient and it has the earlier version of the Hydromagic's cleanout lever -- the bottom of the head swings open and lets it be flushed out. They're pretty common and can be had for peanuts. It's my only injector.

7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I love the E2 but it's pretty easy to draw blood done wrong....i would say a good choice for your "second injector" , once you got the feel for them.

8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I've had good results with E, G, J, and the 500.

There is no answer to "best", performance is too technique dependent. In general, the injectors are very intuitive to use, and feature good blade life duration.

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Good point, sir, agreed.

Frijolero, johnnyflake and jmudrick like this.
  10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Model F, for the win! The F is the only one I will never let go of, even though I don't use it anymore.

11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That's kinda cheating. Not exactly a dime a dozen. Mine stays with me too of course.

Frijolero, johnnyflake and RyX like this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Most of the ones commonly found are later models that do not open to clean. Only the early models do that. Any E2 is great.

I think the best shaving model is the H2. With a regular blade it gives just as good and easy a shave as the H1 with a twin blade.

13. johnnyflake

Thanks for the responses! Lot's of info and comments, but now I am a bit more confused, with no clear, overall favorite. I am thinking I'll look for an E2 and a J to try, if they are not too $$ and watch for an F, as they seem to be treasured and probably one of the best.

I should has asked this in my original question, but it just dawned on me. Are the blades, for these razors, all pretty much the same, or are there favorite among them?

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The Deb? Never tried that one, I didn't realize the head was any different from the H1.

Frijolero and johnnyflake like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If you'll be looking at eBay, you may want to familiarize yourself by examining comparison photos of the E series. They can be tough to differentiate in auction pics.

Most guys seem to now use the Chinese Schick blades. They're quite good.

RyX, Frijolero and johnnyflake like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The Chinese Schicks are available through Walgreens website. They'll be just fine.

17. johnnyflake

Is there an ID Site, or a Link to photos and information on the Schick Razors?

Are there other places, to look for Vintage Razors, other than eBay?

RyX and Frijolero like this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Ebay's probably your best bet, injectors are never in quite the demand as DE.

Frijolero and Hembree like this.
  19. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

20. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Picked this little lot up for $20.00 including shipping yesterday. I was mainly interested in the shovelhead but I also was I like the Schicks and Gems. Looks like a E & a G in the lot. I have an L type Schick but I have not shaved with it yet. Take your time and you can find some decent bargains out there.
    [​IMG]

dmshaver, PLAla, RyX and 5 others like this.