Which Schick Injector Razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TheBurgh, Mar 10, 2022.

1. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

Recovering Mach3 addict, attempting to locate a vintage Schick Injector Razor to return to my shaving youth. Will be a user, not a collection item. I'ld also like to test it against a modern competitor (Is there one?)

I've been investigating shaving sites. Seems that many SE folks truly enjoy their elderly Schick's. Rarely do authors specify "which Schick" model.

Soooooooo, will any of you help in naming the models you prefer or the models to avoid? It'll help me greatly as I stumble around on Bay and Itsy or place a WTB on this wonderful site.

Thanks to all!

brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  2. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

I’ve owned many different models and my ATF is the I2 Hydro-Magic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

Right away, the "I1" or "I2" came to mind. Excellent smooth, mild shaver. The "I1" is the same as the "I2" except it does not have the lever to aid in rinsing. The J,K,L,and M also have the similar looking frame with different handles.

My favorite is the "G" series of razors. But if buying on Ebay, I would not suggest the "E" models or "G" models as your first purchase. Sometimes the frame of these razors get bent. It is a chance you have to take if the auction has out of focus photos and vague product descriptions.

Did you check out this site? http://www.safetyrazors.net/schick/schicktech.htm. Some good pictures and information there.

Aztecmike, brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Welcome to the Den.

There were several models so I recommend one of each. At least that's what most of us collectors (Razor Acquisition Disorder) would suggest.

Seriously though, I initially took to the J and L models and still like those. I had read great things about the I2 but was disappointed after getting one and having it not perform well. I put it in a drawer and let several months go by before trying it again. To my amazement I discovered that leaving it alone for a long time allowed it to evolve into a great shaver. Either that or my technique had improved in the meantime. Another one I didn't care for initially was the E but today it's another favorite.

It might take some experimenting and some time but fortunately most of the models are quite plentiful and can be had for a reasonable price.

5. brit

brit in a box

while i don't use injectors exclusively i have kept the 2 i like the most,the g "66" and a hyrdomatic.i have a canadian e2 that i like but it's moving along.:)

Ijustmissedthe50s and Aztecmike like this.
  6. Chappy_Stan

Chappy_Stan Well-Known Member

Good friend of mine, thanks Charlie, recommended anything from the L model forward (L, M, N, etc) and Schick blades made in China. I prefer very mild razors with sharp blades. Got the L model and have been enjoying the shaves I get with it.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  7. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

You folks are the greatest! Thank you for the help.

The L model seems to have the slimmest, trimmest, narrowest and uncluttered view of the guard/skin contact area. That's my primary goal in this investigation, but I have only seen very few closeup pictures to make that assesment.

Which Schick head is the most minimal?

8. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I guess it depends on what type of razors you are currently using. Aggressive, mid aggressive or mild razors. Schicks tended to get milder as newer models came out. I like the mid ones the most, type I, I2, G and even the Lady Eversharp K2. If you want ones that are easy to clean, try the I2 Hydro-Magic, or other types that use the same type of head. But every once in a while if I go for a few days without shaving, and want to use a Schick, the type E razors work very well.

brit, Ijustmissedthe50s and Aztecmike like this.
  10. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Might want to think about one of the M series adjustable, that way you could adjust the aggressiveness to your liking. And they shave great.

jay_gatz and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

12. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

Don't underestimate the H1.
    The only injector I own three times because I hyperventilate on the mere thought of one breaking or getting lost.

As a first injector: Anything from Type I to Type N with a proper Chinese Schick blade.
    I love the hydro-magic lever as an engineering marvel, it's superfluous.
    The Type M is superfluous as well. On its most aggressive setting, it's about the same as the other injectors from the era, which are already quite mild.

jwr3265 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  13. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Pal makes some good injectors as well.

14. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I heard good things about the modern Parker. I use a G.

15. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

Late to the party, but my favorite injector would be either an L, or an adjustable. Aggressiveness is in the eye of the beholder, and I actually find the adjustment quite useful, and easy to dial in with your thumb while shaving. I can leave it wide open for my WTG and XTG strokes, even the ATG. On my upper lip dial it back and it gets me close with no irritation. As always, YMMV.

Ijustmissedthe50s and MoAllen like this.
  16. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Ah, a recommendation for the "Hussey", one of my favorites. The H1 is unique in the world of Schick injectors.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Ijustmissedthe50s and riverrun like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

E2/E3

Golden 500

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I really enjoy my L

:)

19. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I have a handful, don't know much about them admittedly.
    I will say the Paul Revere handle I have is one of my most efficient and comfortable shavers, including comparison of my DE's.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk