Which synthetic and which badger to get...

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Rosengaard, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Rosengaard

Rosengaard Well-Known Member

I got very intersted in the "Are synthetics best" thread, and started thinking...

I've been experimenting a lot with different vintage DE shavers for the last half year, but have so far stuck to my Semogue 1305 Boar Brush, which I find very pleasing. I have planned for som time to also try the Semogue Owners Club Badger Brush, to feel the difference.

I was quite surprised to see that some of You prefer synthetics, so now my question is: Which synthetic is the best to start out with?

And also: Is the Semogue Owners Club Badger Brush a good badger to start out with or do You prefer something different?? (in the same prize range that is)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Because of his low shipping costs to Europe, a Whipped Dog 24mm synthetic is a safe bet. Also, with the current value of the British Pound, it may be worth searching UK shops for Edwin Jagger Silvertip Fibre brushes.

Rosengaard and Zykris like this.
  3. Rosengaard

Ok. Thanks. Sounds like something to explore.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

There is no "best to start with" brush, razor, blade or soap. Pick one and learn how to use it.

Terry Williams and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. Rosengaard

Well I think there are definately best ways to start, but of course it is different from person to person. So what i am asking is what You guys recommend. I'm looking for pointers, so I do not start out with a bad product as my first synthetic or badger.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Take a look over at the Shave or Shower of the Day threads. You'll get a great look at what folks are liking and using.

RaZorBurn123 and Rosengaard like this.
  7. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Simpson makes a nice badger. I own a commodore x2, it's a little small for me, but it isn't a bad brush overall, just to narrow of a knot. It's 22mm , iirc.

Rosengaard and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I would recommend not spending a lot of money while you test the waters. Fortunately you can find great brushes now at Fantastic prices in both synthetic Badger and boar.

Rosengaard likes this.
  9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Can't help with the synthetics compadre, but I have a nice Omega 6212 Silvertip that I love. It has just enough backbone to work with soaps as well as creams.
    IMG_0994.JPG
    First brush on the left.

Rosengaard likes this.
  10. Rosengaard

Well I guess that one goes on the wish list as well then!

11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Rosengaard likes this.