Whipped Dog Quarter Stone set?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by FlightMedic, Jan 1, 2022.

1. FlightMedic

FlightMedic Well-Known Member

I fell off the straight razor wagon for the last few years and am now fully committed again. I remember a lot of folks using the Norton quarter stones that Larry at WD cuts from full size sets and am wondering if this is still the recommended jumping off point for someone new to honing. If not what other good options exist? Links to any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

In the past I’ve had my razors professionally honed and I’ve been limited to stropping with leather and balsa.

-Will

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    jgreenepa and Karl G like this.
  2. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Rabbit Hole questions these are! :yoda

My setup is Norton ceramics, 1k, 4k, 8k, then a Shapton 12k. After that, it's leather mounted on wood (2 sided), diamond pastes 14k, 50k, 100k, 200k. Daily maintenance, it's CrOx on linen, plain leather strop. When the CrOx linen and leather don't refresh the edge well enough, the pasted leather strops usually get the edge back where I want without a trip to the ceramics. Not the most extravagant, but not inexpensive either. Gets it done for me, I'm happy (but I'd still love for one of those glass 30k Shaptons to hit my doorstep). I learned all my razor honing by watching vids from Glen (tagged below), or Lynn Abrams (vids still available).

A couple experiments by super experienced/knowledgable TSD residents, @Steve56 and @gssixgun have seen them extend edge life to crazy lengths. IIRC, Glen went out 70-80 shaves and said edge life could be 'indefinite' with pasted strops, and Steve took it in the neighborhood of 140ish (?) shaves doing similar. Pretty impressive.

I know @Trigger, Joe uses lapping film for edge maintenance on his straights. A great way to get it done, saves the $ for more straight purchases.

@jgreenepa, Jeff....uses a varied rock recipe/setup that he's (and his straight razor super collecting son) have perfected over the years.

Lots of info to dive into her on TSD with some searching.....

I'm sure some others will chime in also.

Karl G and Trigger like this.
  3. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Thanks for the shout out Blair. I discovered lapping films quite accidentally. I was watching a Mike Baker you tube video and found another vid of him honing a razor with lapping films. What intrigued me was that it was inexpensive and practically fool proof. Also, there wasn't the maintenance of keeping stones flat with expensive lapping plates as well as worrying about storage, etc. Using films, I have reset the bevel on one razor and breadknifed a chip from another razor that was piffed to me as well. I recommend this method for a beginner or someone that is on a fixed income. The only downside on this method is that the edges may not be as smooth as using synthetic or natural stones. In my case, my edges are sharp and smooth enough for me. Happy New Year Blair!

Karl G and b1hart like this.
  4. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Happy New Year Joe!

Don't knock yourself short. I'd daresay......that last 1% of edge finishing for 'smooth'.....doesn't come from the main bevel setting material(s) used, but comprises the blade's steel composition and/or possibly age, it's tempering, the grind, as well as the final software used (wood/leather/linen).

Here's the view for that final 1% of straight razor edge finishing (the over used image):

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 10.32.41 PM.png

jgreenepa, Karl G and Trigger like this.
  5. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Lol!

jgreenepa and Karl G like this.