Whipped Dog synthetic

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Demidog, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I meant to discuss this brush a while ago but I wanted to get some acceptable photos first.

First off, here is the 24mm Whipped Dog in the butterscotch handle next to the 24mm RazoRock Plissoft:
    [​IMG]

And here is a slightly closer shot of the WD:
    [​IMG]

I started with a 24mm Maggard synthetic but it came with a pretty large glue bump and way too much backbone. I then moved on to the RazoRock Plissoft and it was a bit nicer on my face, but pretty similar otherwise. This was expected because both brushes use the same exact fibers. Finally, I went with the WD, which no longer uses the Ubersoft knot as in previous years.

The fibers might look similar from a distance but the WD fibers are whiter at the base, and they also seem to be less coarse than the Plissoft fibers. I asked Larry for the smallest possible glue bump since I don't enjoy backbone, and he obliged. The result is an extremely soft brush that actually splays, unlike the Plissoft and the Maggard, which are really tough to splay at all. The WD also seems to be a bit more absorbent to me. It's my favorite brush by far and although I might try other brushes for fun in the future, the WD will stay at #1.

GatorJoe, Metro, tuxxdk and 5 others like this.
  2. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Your experience mirrors mine, pretty much. Except, that I set the Whipped Dog a little deeper and got a bit more backbone. To each his own...

Love the butterscotch handle on yours.

WD, left - Maggard, right.
    WD-n-MR-24mm.png

Rockclimber and Demidog like this.
  3. Demidog

I'm really liking your Maggard handle. I find that the handles with the flared tips at the bases are easier to grip, even when they get covered with lather. I almost went with the WD goblet handle for this reason but they weren't available in butterscotch. I've been thinking of repurposing my Maggard handle with a WD knot or maybe one of those tuxedo knots that I've seen mentioned around here lately.

RyX likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I had a Whipped Dog 24mm synthetic, but before I had a chance to use it, someone adopted it.
    [​IMG]

tuxxdk, RyX, jimjo1031 and 4 others like this.
  5. Terry Williams

That handle with the Maggard knot is actually a Frank Shaving handle that had a pretty piss-poor badger knot in it. The badger knot shed so badly and was scratchy enough that I figured that even a whisk broom would've been better. So, I had an extra 24mm Maggard and it was a vast improvement. I too, like that handle, but alas, it is now in my son's hands. I think he enjoys it. Sounds like you and I gravitate toward the same handle shape. While I think that the shape and the look of the @Jayaruh handle above is the bee's knees, I have an easier time with handles where I can palm the base. I like the RazoRock handle that you showed @Demidog (I have one, too) and the handle on the Maggard 24mm (they have very cool new marbled handle). But, this is one of my favorites.
    Aristocrat-w-WD-22mm.png
    That's a vintage Aristocrat handle with a WD 22mm. It's a really great brush that is now in the hands of friend. <sigh>

Jayaruh, Demidog and PickledNorthern like this.
  6. Demidog

We definitely do like the same handles and that is indeed a beautiful handle. You have one lucky friend.

Terry Williams and Jayaruh like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That's what friends are for...

Terry Williams and Demidog like this.
  8. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

That looks familiar?

Demidog, jimjo1031 and Terry Williams like this.
  9. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Well-Known Member

Excellent reviews! This Thread is so full of enablement I must leave.

RyX, Demidog and Terry Williams like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm curious how the Tuxedo compares to other more well known knots. I only have a The Body Shop synthetic so my experience is limited.

Demidog likes this.
  11. Demidog

I'll be sure to post my thoughts if I ever acquire one. It's a beautiful knot so while I'm sold on the Whipped Dog knots, I wouldn't mind having a tuxedo even if only because it looks great.

RyX likes this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've seen photos of badger brushes that have a similar coloration.
    My only badger is a Vulfix 660S Medium Super Badger, and I only use it for face lathering creams. It's quite floppy in comparison to an Omega boar knot.
    The Tuxedo is very soft. So much so that after building lather in a bowl when I apply to my face I don't feel the brush. Only the lather. It's better at loading from a hard puck than with the badger. I'm thinking about ordering a couple extras. For gifts or in case of the Shavepocaclypse.

Demidog and PickledNorthern like this.
  13. Terry Williams

I don't know about Tuxedo, but I have a Wolf Whiskers brush with Peter Wolf's Black Wolf knot. It looks a lot like the Tuxedo knot. I love this brush. It is very soft and has enough backbone for me.
    WW_BlackWolf_knot.jpg

RyX and Demidog like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

The colors do look similar to the Tuxedo knot.
    I'll expose my ignorance and ask the question. Is it a wolf bristle knot?
    I'm aware of the following bristle types;
    • horse
    • boar
    • badger
    • goat
    • synthetics

There are mixtures of horse and boar, boar and badger, and at least 4 generations of synthetics unless I lost count.

Demidog likes this.
  15. Terry Williams

No. It is a synthetic knot. Not wolves were harmed in the making of this brush. :) Peter Wolf just calls them "The Black Wolf."
    http://www.wolfwhiskers.com/uploads/4/3/0/9/43093051/7235341_orig.jpg
    http://www.wolfwhiskers.com/uploads/4/3/0/9/43093051/dsc-0254_orig.jpg

It is not a stiff knot. It is very, very soft. From my experience the WW knot is a somewhere in-between the Maggard or RazoRock and The Golden Nib knots. The Maggard or RR are a little floppier, but not much and the The Golden Nib synthetic is a little less dense. Peter Wolf doesn't sell brush knots. He makes custom brushes. So, if you want to try the "Black Wolf" you will have to get on one of his waiting lists and wait for him to finish your brush (well worth the wait and the expense). So, I will probably get the Tuxedo knot to put into an old handle. Once I get that done, I'll share the results.

RyX and Demidog like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've seen photos of the Wolf brushes. Beautiful work! Considering the prices, it's only eye candy for my budget. Looking forward to when you make the comparison. It would be nice to know if I'm using a knot that compares to a high end brush.

Demidog likes this.