Whitening Bone Scales??

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by DaltonGang, Nov 25, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Anyone try to whiten and clean bone scales??
    I was thinking of soaking the scale portion in Hydrogen Peroxide. Comments.

PB251353.JPG

PB251354.JPG

AGHisBBS, Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

3. DaltonGang

Hopefully the stuff won't harm the metal. I plan on only having the tail section under the Peroxide.

4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Is pin removal out of the question ... not sure the results

5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Those are yellow. My Charles Adam razor has bone scales and they’re quite white. Peroxide should do the job, but I would worry about the blade.

Billyfergie and Enrico like this.
  6. DaltonGang

I'll wing it. I have some junked blades that I will soak in the peroxide, and see what happens first.

Billyfergie, gssixgun, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That’s a good test. Try it out first and see what happens. I’m thinking that you’ll be okay. I would love to see the before and after pictures.

Billyfergie, Enrico and TestDepth like this.
  8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Hydrogen peroxide is classified as an oxidizing agent. I don’t know the corrosion rate for the household stuff, but it will cause the blade to corrode with time. Maybe after yo dip one we’ll know :D

Billyfergie and Enrico like this.
  9. DaltonGang

OK, I just started with the Hydrogen Peroxide experiment, a few minutes ago. I used a razor that had cell rot on it, and polished the rust out. I then cleaned it, with alcohol, and liquid detergent.
    So, the blade was half covered with hydrogen peroxide, and I will leave it overnight, to see what happens.

PB261365.JPG

PB261367.JPG

PB261368.JPG

10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

In the chemical biz; we refer to this as a coupon test. Looks like you’re now a scientist;)

11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

BTW Hydrogen peroxide looses its effectiveness (strength) in the light so keep it in the dark.

12. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

How about blueing? I've never tried it on bone but
    it work well on my white dress shirts.

Billyfergie, Spyder and DaltonGang like this.
  13. DaltonGang

The bluing agents I use, for my razors, are usually oxidizing agents, and scales aren't effected. Unless you are talking about dying agents, like stains.

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  14. DaltonGang

It's been in a darkened room. After 5 hrs, the last I checked, no change in the color of the blade. So far, so good.

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  15. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Yes, I was thinking of the laundry dye. I see it's also used by horse owners on the manes and tails of white horses.

We sometimes use pure hydrogen peroxide as a low grade rocket fuel. Strong stuff.

Billyfergie, DaltonGang and Spyder like this.
  16. DaltonGang

Alrighty then. 24 hrs has passed, and half the length of the blade has been soaking in Hydrogen Peroxide. I pulled it out of the solution, rinsed it in water, and towel dried it. Nothing else. So, you guys be the judge. I will start with the scale soaking in the Peroxide, soon.

PB271370.JPG

AGHisBBS, BigMike, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  17. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

How about a light bleach solution. I have had great results from ceiling stains to grout clean up?

Billyfergie likes this.
  18. DaltonGang

I would be hesitant to use bleach(chlorine), because it is corrosive to metals.

19. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

It does a good job of whitening, I would use a mild solution. Once it is dry repeat until you get the results you want. Then soak/rinse in clean water. After drying it should be inert. I'd bet you could get those scales pearly white but again do it slowly.

Jim99 likes this.
  20. DaltonGang

My major concern would be the chlorine getting into the pivot pin area, and not being able to get it all out. Plus, bone is slightly porous, and would soak it up. Too many possibilities of things going wrong, for my liking.
    It's been 11 hrs of soaking in Hydrogen Peroxide, the metal around the tang looks good, and the scales are not quite as dark. Time will tell.

Enrico, AGHisBBS, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.