Who else cuts their own hair?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by DaveTheWave81, Jul 18, 2015.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Looking at your avatar, you may be overdue for another top trim!

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

No, no, no. Those are the three hairs he keeps for the comb over. :D

DaveTheWave81, mrchick and Dzia Dzia like this.
  3. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I heard it said that God created only a few perfect heads. The rest He put hair on. Also bald men don't waste hormones growing hair.

DaveTheWave81 and HolyRollah like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I suppose this may be the time for the old baldness adage..."Grass doesn't grow on a busy street, but it doesn't grow on concrete either." :D

5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I call it my bar code

Dzia Dzia, DaveTheWave81 and richgem like this.
  6. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I've been cutting my own hair for 7 or 8 years now. I specifically bought a Wahl trimmer because they sell 1.25 and 1.5 inch guards. I use the 1.5 on the top and the 1.25 everywhere else. I have to have the wife straighten up the back a bit but it's real quick.
    I have a weird cowlick near the top back left side of my head so I can't go very short without looking weird.
    I used to always get my hair cut at the local beauty school for 10 bucks but the results were always a gamble. I do miss them washing my hair. That always felt amazing.

DaveTheWave81 likes this.
  7. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

I have cut my own hair since I was about 18...had a little stint where I got it done for about a year and a half but then went back to doing it myself for the last 8 years or so....I dont just "shave" it either, I typically use a a 4 on the sides, a 6 in the back and a 10 on top...I then free hand the tapper on the sides as well as line myself up on the neck, ears, and sideburns....I have had barbers and hair stylist compliment me on my cut and be amazed when they found out I do it myself...I have just done it myself pretty much my whole life and learned how to use mirrors for the back...I dont think I could ever pay someone to do a single length hair cut for me anymore.

8. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I cut my own hair. I use a 2 all over. When I grow my hair longer, I use a 5 on top and use a 2,3, and 4 on the sides. It's pretty easy to blend. I start with a 2 and 4 on the sides, then I use the 5 on top, then, I blend the line from the 2 and 4 with the #3.

9. brow_tines

brow_tines Well-Known Member

10. Paladin38201

Paladin38201 Member

My wife cuts my hair and does as good of a job as any local barber.

11. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

My dad was a barber. But he retired, so for last 30 years, basically family. I am still using his Oster and guards. I use a 4 all over, 2 on the side burns and eyebrows. My lovely wife trims around the ears with scissors and the neck with Dad's Oster trimmer. About every 3 to 4 weeks. They made good equipment back in the day.

Greg W.

12. kurtmill

kurtmill Active Member

My dad's been cutting his hair for about ten years. He doesn't have much on top so he can do one length all over. I guess my mom helps clean up his neck. I'm a little afraid to try it myself.

13. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I use Wahl clippers on # 2 all over with the slanted guards on the sides and #1 on the back close to my neck and my sideburns.
    To trim the back and also to shave my neck, I stand with my back to the mirror and I look into a hand held mirror. At first it's confusing because your movements are reversed but you get used to it in no time.

14. DaveTheWave81

DaveTheWave81 Member

Spud and PLANofMAN like this.
  15. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

image.jpg I've been cutting my own hair for years :happy097:

Troy M, Dzia Dzia, richgem and 4 others like this.
  16. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I've been cutting my own for about 10 years. Wahl clipper with a #4 all over. I used to to the #3, #4, #5 blend, but that cut into shaving time. :)

17. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Anybody that can color inside the lines doesn't need one of those.

19. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Well-Known Member

Judging by the picture he needs to center that thing a bit.

20. Capri142

Capri142 New Member

I started cutting my own hair a bit over a year ago using a Wahl trimmer. My hair was a few inches long when I start this process now it is much shorter all over. I like it that way, much easier to manage, cut and I don't have to worry about combing it or carrying a comb with me. The only problem I do have is getting it all even in the back. Even using a mirror, I don't feel like I get it right sometimes.