Who is your favorite artisan soap maker?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by bbbbMMbbbb, Jan 1, 2014.

1. bbbbMMbbbb

bbbbMMbbbb Member

I have tried a few different artisan soaps and I only came across one artisan soap maker that seems to impress me with the scents, ease of lather, and the like. Some have come close, but for whatever reason, my skin didn't react well to them. So, who is your favorite artisan soap maker?

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I really like everything that Stirling Soap has to offer. Excellent product, lather, slick, size and price. Rod has great customer service.

bbbbMMbbbb likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

JoAnna and her TSD soaps, hands down.

dscaver likes this.
  4. bbbbMMbbbb

bbbbMMbbbb Member

And the very first post shares my preference. Too funny.

5. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

I haven't tried them all, but Mystic Water is far and away my favorite. Great scents, wonderful lather, awesome skin conditioning and the price is right.

bbbbMMbbbb likes this.
  6. bbbbMMbbbb

bbbbMMbbbb Member

I have one of their soaps, but wasn't too impressed with it at first. I will have to give it another go.

Stirling Soap

7. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I don't know. Mike's would probably be mine. I have a stick of his Barbershop, which happens to be my favorite soap.

Honorable mention: Stirling, TSD, Barrister& Mann.

crackstar and bbbbMMbbbb like this.
  8. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

Some guys have trouble with it at first, but with persistence and making sure enough product is used, many of those come to discover it's one of their favorite soaps. I guess I was lucky in that it only two me 2 or 3 tries to dial it in. I have 40 soaps and MW is my second favorite behind Tabac.

9. bbbbMMbbbb

bbbbMMbbbb Member

Yeah, that is actually why I wanted to try it. I wanted to see what all the fuss was that people were making about it. It turns out it is a little more difficult to lather. I was able to do a little better with distilled water. It is just more work than I am typically willing to do with a soap.

I have a few samples of his and they seem to lather well. The scents he offers are good, but they are all kind of safe scents.

10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My favorite would be me, but I am admittedly biased.

11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

For me it's JoAnna and her TSD soaps, but I tried two of Rod's Stirling soaps and I love them. I'd like to give Cathy of Calani Seifen in Germany an honourable mention because her soaps are also pretty good. :)

bbbbMMbbbb likes this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And with good reason - you make a great soap!

Sara-s likes this.
  13. bbbbMMbbbb

bbbbMMbbbb Member

Haha, fair enough. I still need to try TSD soaps. In my defense, I am new to The Shave Den.

14. Ryan B

Some artisan soaps that are in my cross hairs are.

1. Petal Pushers.
    2. LA Shaving Soap.
    3. Tiki Bar Soap.
    4. Synergy.

synth, ChiefShaver and crackstar like this.
  15. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

TSD soaps will have you blissfully shaving for life.

crackstar and bbbbMMbbbb like this.
  16. bbbbMMbbbb

bbbbMMbbbb Member

I have tried one of the Synergy soaps and my skin was not a fan. I haven't tried a single glycerin based, vegetable based, or similar soap with any success. The ones that my skin get along with seem to be the tallow based soaps. So, I probably wont try Petal Pushers. LA Shaving I have a sample of already. I'm not sure if Tiki is tallow or not. I would have to look it up.

Yeah, another one I will have to try at some point.

crackstar likes this.
  17. Ryan B

The makers of Tiki offer both.

18. bbbbMMbbbb

bbbbMMbbbb Member

Awesome. I should make a physical list...Maybe add it to the list of stuff I already own...

19. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

J.B. Williams :happy005:

20. bbbbMMbbbb

bbbbMMbbbb Member

Do you mean the original Williams, the one you apparently have to hunt for?