Who loves NOS razors on the cheap?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by scottydoint, Dec 7, 2008.

1. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

That is a great price, but I think NOS may be a stretch. I am pretty sure the instructions should be sealed in the blade pack. I am looking forward to pictures though.

3. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

That is the paper that has the piece that sticks out of the case at the latch, so if they are instructions, they were never in the pack. I can't wait to find out for sure though.

Does anyone have any NOS razors that don't have the instructions in the pack? I have razor that I believe are NOS and they don't have instructions sealed, but they have the sealed blade packs. My slim twist has a sealed 2 pack of blades and I don't think they would sell individual packs of 2 blades. My #66 I think is NOS, the 10 pack is sealed and the instructions are on the outside. The reason I believe that the 66 is NOS is because Achim has a president with the sealed 10 pack and instructions outside here which I want:drool.
    [​IMG]
    I also have a Krona that I bought from someone who collected NOS Items and the 2pack of blades is unused and the instructions aren't sealed, but neither are the baldes. Did schick even seal there blades though?

So is it possible that some sets didn't have sealed instructions?

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Unless it were sealed, I think it would be hard to prove NOS. I don't think Achim's President is NOS either. I believe those should have come with 6 packs of blades, and in a cardboard shipper. I think the 66 also should have come with the aluminum blade dispenser, and also should have a cardboard shipper. I can't say that it is for sure not NOS, but I would bet it is not, even if it has never been used.

5. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

Oh you probably right about the 66 although I thought only the coronation sets had the metal blade dispenser. Does anyone know if they sold individual blade packs in cellophane wrapping? especially in 2 blade packs?

6. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

When I asked about the blade packs in #66 sets t'his was Achim's answer.
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=861877&postcount=2

Sounds like the coronation had a chromium blade case, and the regular set had an aluminum case.
    I have a few 2 packs of blaades that I believe are from some Tech sets. One travel tech I have I would say was most likely never used, and it has the 2 pack with it sealed, but while likely unused, I would not call it NOS.

I am certainly not trying to put down your score, that was a fantastic price, I just think that NOS and Mint are thrown around loosely sometimes.

7. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

You raise an interesting point, Rodd. I always think of NOS and unused as the same thing -- but they're not. As you say, NOS should not only have sealed blades and instructions, but also whatever shipping carton they came in. However, I don't think all instructions came sealed, and I am still calling this NOS, and you can't stop me! :taunt002

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

By the way, I also have a "so-called" NOS Krona that has unsealed instructions and a two blade dispenser.

8. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

I didn't even think that way. I'm just trying to figure out the facts, nothing but the facts:D I know I probalby sounded like I was trying to convince my self that it was NOS, but I was just trying to see if it was possible before I ruled out the idea.

9. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I've never seen any that looked aluminum? They all look shiny and chrome to me. Can anyone confirm this?

10. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I think that the ones in the advertisements are the ones Achim was referring to as the aluminum ones, and this type is what he called chromium. I am still confused. ;)

11. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I am sorry, I hadn't noticed that. Very cool. I suppose I haven't seen the instructions for a 40s SS. Can you scan them when it arrives?

12. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Rodd, there's a set up in your instruction thread. Mine weren't sealed either and they do stick out to say push here to open the case. The instructions came sealed in the blade packs after a certain date in the early 50's I believe.

13. The Zook

The Zook New Member

That's how it is with my '58 Super Speed TV. I thought I was missing them, but after inspecting the blades (in wrapper) I noticed the instructions in there as well, pleasant surprise!

14. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I wonder why it looks black? There appears to be something, a piece of cardboard possibly, stuck over the top of the blade case. Interesting.

15. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I think it is the reflection. I saw another one somewhere, I think it was Hanspleasure that had it that was just very shiny and had the gillette diamond logo etched on it.

16. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

My 1957 Fisherman's Kit also has them sealed with the blades. I have a sealed blade pack minus the instructions in my 1954 TV, though I can't say absolutely that this is the correct pack of blades for this razor.

[​IMG]

17. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Here is my NOS pride:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

It came with instructions sealed in with a 2 pack of blades.

I have one more NOS razor (sealed on the card) on the way from Dragonboy, and a couple I believe to have never been used, but I can not verify.
    [​IMG]
    this one I believe was never used, actually never removed from the cardboard card, but it is missing the angled banner shown on Chris'.
    [​IMG]
    My 66 was sold to me as "never used" but since it doesn't have the blade case or shipper I highly doubt it. Either way, it has been used now. ;)
    [​IMG]

18. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

Where on earth are you guy's finding these sets???

I've combed every antique store within 100 miles of my home and have never come across these complete, unused sets. Don't get me wrong, I've found some wonderful shaving items, but nothing like what you've pictured here.

19. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

eBay.

20. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

That's pretty! Nice grab for $5