Whole Wheat Oatmeal Buttermilk Bread

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by youngunn, Mar 15, 2013.

1. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

[​IMG]

1 1/2 cups rolled oats
    1 cup boiling water
    1/4 cup room temperature water
    2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon honey
    2 teaspoons instant yeast
    1 1/2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
    1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
    2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons salt
    4 teaspoons vital wheat gluten

Add 1 1/4 cups of the oats to a medium heatproof bowl. Pour the boiling water over them and stir to combine. Let sit, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the soaked oats, room temperature water, 2 tablespoons of the honey, yeast, buttermilk, olive oil, both flours, vital wheat gluten, and the salt. Mix until a rough dough comes together, then switch to the dough hook and knead on low speed for about 10 minutes. When the dough is ready it will have a satiny finish, but it will still be somewhat wet and will cling to the dough hook (if necessary, you can add slightly more flour to the dough).

Spray a large bowl with nonstick cooking spray then add the dough, turning to coat. Cover and let rise for 1 hour, or until just about doubled in size. (my wife has tried many times to get it to rise properly. She says the secret is moist heat. She puts a heating pad on the counter and then the bowl, cover the bread with plastic wrap loosely.)

Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and press down to release excess air bubbles. Shape the dough into a 12x6-inch rectangle, with a long side facing you. Fold the sides in so they meet in the middle, then roll the dough into a log, starting with the end closest to you. Pinch the dough closed at the seam.

Spray a 10-inch loaf pan (or at least 9 inches, this is a big loaf of bread) with nonstick cooking spray. Add the dough to the pan, seam side down, pressing it into the corners. In a small bowl, mix the remaining teaspoon of honey with 1/2 teaspoon of hot water. Brush the mixture over the top of the loaf then sprinkle it with the remaining 1/4 cup of oats.

Let sit for about 30 minutes, or until the loaf rises just over the top of the pan. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 F. Bake the bread for 50-60 minutes, or until the internal temperature is about 200 F. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and turn the bread out. Let cool completely before slicing.

ohpaos and Slipperyjoe like this.
  2. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Very nice... But shouldn't it have been baked over a 'Peat' fire for the 17th???

youngunn likes this.
  3. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Lol I dunno.