Why are razors prices so high on ebay??

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by 178-bplatoon, Feb 10, 2014.

1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Heres an example:
    Right now as of 2-10-14 there is a used Merkur Slant head razor up for auction. It looks to be a 37C...You can buy this razor "MANY" places on the internet including amazon for well under $50 shipped..The auction title reads "Beautiful Vintage Merkur Hoffritz Slant Head Safety Razor" but there is no date listed just the word "Vintage" which I believe simply means "used" in this case although of course I could be wrong..

The starting bid was $9.99. The bid as of now for this razor is $76 + $7 shipping with 11 bidders, 38 bids and 2 day 24 hours left in the auction!! Come on people this is why ebay prices are so "HIGH"!!! Why pay(as of today) 2 times more for a razor than it's worth!?! WE are killing ourselves people...Do a little bit of research before you bid ask around,check around "THINK"...Sellers are on ebay to make money a very Honerable American tradition...It's not the sellers fault if buyers overpay!! Thank you for your time,Sermon over...:)

Update: 2-11-14....There seems to be a bidding war going on for this razor...With 1 day 14 hours left the price has jumped again this time to $81 with 43 bids...It's kind of amazing to watch...:)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You know that. I know that. Many buyers are clueless.

4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I'm definitely with you on that. The Hoffritz, from what I can tell is exactly the same as the current production Merkur but for some reason people will pay more for them because they're not produced with the Hoffritz name on them anymore. Makes no sense to me.

5. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

There appears to be a feeding frenzy on the "bid-and-win" sites. The vintage Gilletes have been crazy for some time and now I see the Schick Kronas are taking off. I recently picked up a back-up Fatboy ($45.00 w/shipping) and a back-up Krona ($15.00 w/shipping). I could most likely find a Krona a little cheaper but, with the condition this one is in, I am satisfied. I found these on The Shave Nook and Shave My Face. Deals are out there; ya gotta be persistent and check daily if you are seriously looking for one of the vintage razors.

Folks may think I am a sap for paying $45.00 for the Fatboy; however, $50.00 is my top-end so it fit the budget and is in good condition.

As far as the original question, I do not know why folks are demanding and paying these prices. If you gotta have a vintage razor, and cost/budget are not important, then the price is not important - I guess. But, as I said before, look at the condition of some of these razors before you jump.

Ryan B, 178-bplatoon and vwp528 like this.
  6. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

It's not just razors. For example I've got a clay tavern pipe a friend picked up for me while he was in Williamsburg, VA for about twelve dollars(at that time). I looked them up online and Old Williamsburg Pottery was selling them online, same price obviously, but on ebay I saw the exact same pipe from OWP sell for more than thirty dollars and that's not the only thing I've seen sell for way over what you could buy it for elsewhere over the years. So, to make along story short ( I know to late ) I agree
    people don't research they just go on ebay and seem to think that if it's on there it's automatically the lowest price. And after they bid on it auction fever sets in and they are not going to let some else outbid them for it and that's where inflated prices come from.

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

ebay is a competition. No matter the item. For many ebayers , the chase is where the thrill lies.
    And so prices are driven up as a result—and many times beyond the actual retail value.

markjnewcomb, alpla444, Hanzo and 4 others like this.
  8. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I lucked out with 2 of my vintage razors not being too expensive considering the Rhodium finish on them. Unfortunately I have a REAL hankering for a Wade & Butcher barbers notch razor and those things command a hefty pricetag right now :(

9. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

That certainly does seem to be the case. It often seems like winning and control are all-important for some of the bidders, and the item being sold is almost irrelevant.

Maybe I should start selling vintage dust bunnies on eBay. I could keep my house clean and get rich at the same time!

Adonis, GDCarrington, Troy M and 2 others like this.
  10. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

The sad thing is you probably could.

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. 178-bplatoon

Final update for anyone interested in the "vintage" Merkur slant head that to me looked just like a standard 37C except for two things
    1)The case that came with it,
    2)The cap is smooth instead of scalloped on the edges like the 37C for sale on amazon...

At any rate after 50 bids it sold for $107.50 + $7 shipping.....:)

12. Neolithium

Pretty average price for a Hoffritz lately.

13. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Arent they still pot metal?

14. Neolithium

Yes

15. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

The other day I saw an x-1 Gillette that the first bid was $0.99 it sold for $39.00 there is one on e-Bay that was sold returned and back and re-listed by the seller his starting bid is just shy of $20.00 I am watching it it's been there for three days so far no bids. This razor needs to be in the trash not on e-bay.

If it's the same one I saw it sold for over $100.00 bucks.

16. 178-bplatoon

$107.50 + $7 shipping.....

PatrickA51 likes this.
  17. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

The demand for razors has dramatically changed in the past few years which determines the higher prices. I'm sure when some of the long time members of this and the other major forums began the journey of wetshaving, the prices were much much lower and the demand was no where near what it is today.

There are so many people out there that are trying to start small internet businesses to compete with some long time trusted vendors that entered the market long before the demand grew. Just look at how many honing services are on ebay.

Bottom line I think that as long as demand increases, prices will follow.

GDCarrington and 178-bplatoon like this.
  18. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Isn't that an eye opener?

19. 178-bplatoon

While I agree very much with JoeB... I started my journey about 3 years ago and I remember reading on the forums about how prices had risen over the prior 5 years..So certianly with time and increased demand prices "WILL" rise...That said I still think buyers have more say so in reguard to keeping those prices in line than they think..You have to be willing to pass on ebay offerings when they go pass a certain point and not let yourself get caught up in the bidding frenzy!! I know,from bitter experience:(, that is "much easier said than done", but as buyers we still must try...;)

It is insane, but kinda makes me feel good as I have a vintage Merkur slant head with the smaller diameter handle(not an overly impressive shave) and now that I can see the difference between vintage and new, I can see the potential worth for it..:)

GDCarrington likes this.
  20. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

Honestly, when it comes to hobbies, tradtional wet shaving is fairly affordable. If you compare it to others (such as car collecting, gun collecting ect) a $300 razor really is a steal.

I had an opportunity a few years back to purchase a 1904 double ring for around $100. I recently saw a 1905 double ring go for over $1000 on eBay.

Times are changing and it looks like there is no end in sight.

GDCarrington and 178-bplatoon like this.