Why do I generally get better shaves when I let my beard grow out longer?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by 7055, Mar 29, 2016.

1. 7055

7055 Active Member

I consistently get better shaves with four days of beard growth then I do with one day of beard growth. I use a Feather AC DX with the Super Professional blades. Any idea why this is?

Robyflexx likes this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Maybe skin is healed and ready for the shave? I noticed my shave is better with growth than shavin daily when using de razors. I don't use straights so I'm not sure if they relate.

BigMike, gorgo2 and Robyflexx like this.
  3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I've noticed the same thing. Although I don't normally get to 4 days, I'll get 2 or 3. And the shave always seems better, closer... :signs002:

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. 7055

7055 Active Member

It feels like when I shave after one day, I am more likely to knick the skin and get irritation when going against the grain, than I am when I wait 3 or 4 days. However, after waiting 3 or 4 days, it just glides...

5. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Same here. There are certain parts of my skin where it feels as if the pores are enlarged or skin is roughed up a bit. But definitely notice that with 2 days of growth I get a cleaner closer shave. I just can't wait that long in between shaves. I'm addicted to shaving. :)

6. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

If you're not using a pre-shave, either an oil or a cream, I'd recommend trying it. Sometimes it's the deciding factor for whether a razor gives me irritation or not

RyX, Herm2502 and Robyflexx like this.
  7. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

After last night, I'm going to have to skip a day...I got pretty bloodied last night. I'll see how two days' growth goes with one of my Contracts and a new Gillette Platinum.

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

+1 for pre shave oil.

bdalemauger likes this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Probably the fact that you/we/I aren't debriding our faces when we take a day off helps. I am generally not irritated or anything from shaving every day, but especially in the winter when it is so dry, my favoritest bestest shave are after a day off. I just love shaving too much to skip any days for no reason.

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I think there is something to this. I normally shave 3 to 4 times a week. When I have to do daily shaves for work, I get a lot more irritation, and the whiskers seem to start coming back at around 3pm. When I go two days, I don't notice whiskers coming back until about 7pm. That said, I don't have super course facial hair except on my chin, and my skin is easily irritated. Also, shave oil doesn't help when I have to shave daily, and I really haven't seen a benefit to using it since switching to straights.

11. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Funny, I hear the Twilight Zone music...

Mr. Oldschool and Robyflexx like this.
  12. Dale Schmidt

Dale Schmidt Active Member

I too get a better shave if I wait two full days before shaving. However, I can easily go four days without shaving since I'm retired and my whiskers are a light gray. :>)

champagneinhand likes this.
  13. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I used to skip shaving on Sundays just for that reason. But with better technique (more passes, less pressure) I've found my face holds up just fine to shaving daily.

Herm2502 likes this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I noticed the same thing. I shave every day but when I can shave after 30 hours versus 24 hours I get a better shave.

15. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I remember this discussion coming up back in 2007 or so, almost to a man when we did the test shaves it came up that the better shaves were after a skip day or two..

There was no consensus as to the reason :(

Seems it is a SR mystery :p I guess the question is do DE shavers experience the same thing ???

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have, on the RARE occasion that I've skipped a day.

gssixgun likes this.
  17. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I have found it to be true whether I use a straight or DE. It is my consulation prize for skipping a day.

Drygulch likes this.
  18. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

This is a big part of why I don't shave every day.

Joef likes this.
  19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And I enjoy shaving too much to skip a day.

Just how I enjoy it!!

Joef likes this.
  20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I work at a refinery, and have to shave every day, at least since I got into supervision. I have to be the example and all that. I used to shave 2 - 3 days a week, and could get away with it. Now, when I go out to the field, the operators and maintenance hands definitely look for reasons to ride me a bit, so I learned quickly to shave every day(mostly). Wet shaving was a big help in this.

opsimath and Drygulch like this.