Why do I keep trying to use this brush?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by McGrande, Sep 5, 2017.

1. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

I suppose I'm proving the adage that a definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Several years ago when getting back to DE shaving, I purchased the VDH "starter" kit (boar brush, lather bowl). I was using Williams soap with decent results. Then upon discovering all the wonderfulness available with a few mouse clicks, I ordered a better boar brush (Semogue 620) and some really nice soaps and creams.

Figured I give a badger brush a whirl and ordered a Vulfix 2006 brush. Fairly inexpensive, plastic handle, but I do like the shape of it. Kind of a short knot which I thought would provide a little backbone as badger is softer than boar. After I received it, I used it for a week of shaves to break it in. Same soap, razor & blade. It just seemed very floppy. Tried more water, less water, face lather, scuttle lather all to no avail. It's not doing it for me. Went back to the boars and all is well.

But, every now and again, (done this probably 5 times over the years) I get out the Vulfix and try again.....like yesterday morning. Same lousy feel, sloppy delivery. I lather right on the puck (Proraso Green tea & oat). Used an Omega synthetic today with perfect results. I guess I'm a boar / synthetic man for life......unless, there is a badger brush that has the backbone of a 620 and the softness of a synthetic. Any ideas?

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

So many good ones to choose.

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

My first two badger brushes were Vulfix, 2235s & 660s. Both gave me the impression that badger was floppy and near useless on a hard puck soap. Even grabbing the knot, choking up, to load didn't help because they didn't have enough backbone to apply lather except in paint brush strokes. I switched to only using them for creams.

Some time later I got a Whipped Dog High Mountain and a Virginia Sheng Pure Black badger knot. These were set deeper in other than plastic Vulfix type handles. Changed my mind about badger. They can have backbone if the knot is dense enough or set deep enough.

I still don't own a Premium badger brush, but those that do may be experiencing the next level of badger goodness. I'd invite them to opine about their best badger knot.

Jim99 likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    You need to try a two-band badger. That is where it is at. It has some backbone and lathers great. There are some badgers I have tried that are floppy and not usable for me. My silvertips and two-band badgers are hard to beat.

5. jar

jar Well-Known Member

The best brush is the one you like. For me, if I had to I'd be happy with just a Rubberset 400. Fortunately I don't have to.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  6. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

We have some brushes because they give us our best shave and some because they they challenge us. This floppy badger obviously intrigues and challenges you. That's ok. Roll with it when you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PatrickA51 likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    As has been suggested already, two band badger is exactly what you are looking for. I was in the same situation as you once, and two band badger was the answer.

entropy1049 likes this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

[​IMG]
    $14.95
    [​IMG]
    $9.95 Hard to beat those prices.

SpeedyPC likes this.
  9. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I saw these before - and I love that retro deluxe!
    Thanks for reminding me.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

The Stirling Finest two bands are excellent brushes at a really, really good price.

Ask @Jayaruh to make you one with a TGN 2 Band

Buy a handle blank and put in your own TGN 2 Band. ( The Golden Nib)

I recommend TGN because of better consistency than some of the other lower priced offerings. You pay a little more, but they are good knots, and you can find them in brushes by some of the best brush makers. I have a handful of them, and they are all good.

Razorock branded Finest badgers are made by Zenith, and are good knots.

11. RyX

RyX DoH!

I viewed The Golden Nib site, but didn't see a knot specifically named "2 band". Did I miss something?

Edit; "Finest Badger- Creamy white tips that fade to black, sometimes referred to as two band. Fairly soft tips well packed, good with soaps and creams. Available in fan & bulb shapes"

PickledNorthern likes this.
  12. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

The TGN Finest is the two band :happy088:

PLANofMAN, RyX and PickledNorthern like this.
  13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Finest and two-band knots are the same thing, just different terminology.

Two-band = American English
    Finest = British English

SpeedyPC and RyX like this.
  14. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I used Vulfix brushes for close to 30 years, starting with a pure badger Grosvenor, which I still have, and graduating to a super badger. They were my first badger brush after 20+ years using boars. The super badgers tend to what most would call floppy. Many hate it, I loved it. Vulfix has been around a long time and they currently make brushes for other labels. They're probably still one of the most popular brushes in terms of world-wide sales.

I've switched to synthetics a couple of years ago and have no interest in going back. There's too much great equipment and soaps out there to use something you don't enjoy.

RyX likes this.
  15. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

If It doesn't work toss it

16. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I have 2 relatively inexpensive Two Band knots. The TGN Finest mentioned above in a Fan, and a Whipped Dog High Mountain (basically a two band) in a Bulb. Both are good knots, and would recommend them both. I have only enjoyed the WD set at 14-15mm for what its worth, I found it too floppy set any shallower.

RyX likes this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you Jason for giving the comparison. This is one that changed my mind about badgers. I'm very happy with how it lathers.
    The 24mm knot pictured is set at 54mm loft.
    WD High Mountain 24mm X 54mm loft.gif