Why do you shave?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by GoldenHandTheJust, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Gentlemen of this forum, why do you want to shave?

I'm only a teenager and my college doesn't have any rules regarding facial hair, but I still do it. The reason has more to do with my upbringing and my insecurities more than aesthetics.

My father died early on, and thus came the huge responsibility on my shoulders to do well and earn as soon as possible. Shaving is something associated with men, not boys. It makes me feel mature. It makes me feel grown up and responsible. I haven't told this to anyone, not even my best friend who knows everything about me (except this, of course).

Why do you shave?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, I enjoy it. I don't have to shave, but I do, seven days a week.
    B. It makes me feel more professional and civilized (that's me. Not saying anyone who doesn't shave is unprofessional or uncivilized!)
    3. My wife prefers it. She does NOT demand it. I have grown a beard, but I didn't like it.

Herm2502, Keithmax, RyX and 2 others like this.
  3. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I enjoy the ritual of it. Trying to find my favourite process brings some relaxation.

My wife also prefers me clean shaven, so it's something I like to try and keep on top of. I feel like it is an enjoyable part of a modern man's grooming regime - once I am cleanly shaven, smell nice and have my hair combed and a little pomade, I feel more refined (and can pretend I am more attractive!!)

Herm2502, Keithmax, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Forgot about the "ritual that brings relaxation" aspect.
    Yes, it is my ME time. A time to ponder. A time to pray. A time to jam to some tunes. A time to enjoy the slower pace. ME time.

RyX, Spyder and Dansco like this.
  5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I shave because the whiskers itch and also because my beard is patchy.

6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I enjoy it. I am currently sporting a Van Dyke, so I get the best of both worlds.

AGHisBBS, RyX, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  7. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I enjoy shaving now, but found it to be a chore as a teenager and a young adult. I would shave every other day and sometimes every three days. The stubble would itch and I'd have to shave it. Now I really enjoy it and shave most every day.

8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

In these hectic times, my shave insures that I get at least an hour to wind down and relax. Most men do not realize what they are missing. I spend my time prepping for the shave; hot water, hot cloth, face massage with pso , and building (you guessed it) hot/warm lather.
    I can then spend my time completing three unhurried passes with a straight razor, finishing off with hot water, cold water, and aftershaves of my choice. I relish the fact that I can get the ultimate shave experience on a daily basis! In the last several years my skin has improved significantly and my shave will easily last into the following day.
    Thanks for sharing your story with us, and thankfully, you didn't have to wait until you're an old geezer to make the discovery! :D

9. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

I shave for a multitude of reasons. The first being my wife prefers me shaven with a short mustache and goatee. I have grown a full beard but I feel unkempt with it. I also enjoy the shave since getting into safety razors, brushes, soap pucks and aftershaves. I also have been going bald over the past 10 years so I also shave my head. It makes me look younger. I enjoy the me time also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

That is a great point - I had terrible skin in my teens and early twenties send I wish I'd discovered this earlier!

Although my skin was nowhere near as bad in the last few years I've still seen an improvement

11. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I'm not a barbarian.

12. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I spent 30 years in the military and shaving was required. Now that I am retired I do it for two reasons: 1. I enjoy it! Double edge shaving combined with the shaving process is very personal. Its something that I am doing for myself. 2. My wife doesn't like beards.

PickledNorthern, RyX and Spyder like this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I like to look cleaned-up. Plus the wife loves most of my aftershaves.

14. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I think it's nice to be able to tell when someone has made an effort. You can get that look with a beard too, but it's a different kind of style I think.

RyX, TobyC and Spyder like this.
  15. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

First of all: sorry to hear of your loss. Losing your dad at an early age must be devastating. I was lucky to have had him around until I was about 41 (10 years ago - still miss him, of course).

Second: kudos for you picking up on responsibilities.

As for my reason(s) to shave (in random order):
    • the smooth feeling afterwards
    • SWMBO isn't to keen on facial hair (however, when I secretly shaved my stache when we were living together for about a month, it took her a day to see...)
    • it is relaxing
    • I love to use vintage utensils (almost all my razors and several of my brushes are vintage - as well as several tools, cutlery, tableware and furniture)
    • DE and SE shaving asks for technique (straight shaving even more). It is something you have to accomplish. It feels good to be able to do that.
    • DE, SE and straight shaving should be cheaper than modern shaving (multiple blades, canned goo). That is, until the acquisition disorders kick in. ;)

RyX, James_P, Spyder and 1 other person like this.
  16. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

For work. Need to be clean shaven. Well, can have 'staches but I don't look good with one. So that's another reason.

RyX and Spyder like this.
  17. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Most mature, adult men shave all, or part of their face. It's part of personal hygiene like cutting fingernails and hair and taking a bath.

And I have to do something useful with all these razors and brushes, and soaps!

18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

So I won't have a beard.

AGHisBBS, Spyder, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs.png Plus, it makes me look younger.
    [​IMG]

AGHisBBS, SpeedyPC, Redfisher and 4 others like this.
  20. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

:signs011:

AGHisBBS and Spyder like this.