why everybody so excited from 3 piece razors ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by naknik, Mar 19, 2009.

1. naknik

naknik New Member

I have the merkur HD (2 pieces) and the merkur 25c (3 pieces) , and I don't feel the quality of each razor is related to "how many pieces the razor made from" .
    am I missing something here ?

2. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

No you are not missing anything. I always say that there is no one right razor for everyone (which incidently is what Proctor and Gamble is trying to make you believe). For some the three piece is the best thing for others its not real great. I guess its just not the right thing for you. Personally I am crazy about the super speeds. Oh, who am I kinding I am just plain crazy. Can feel myself slowly decending into madness.

3. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

It's not about the number of pieces so much as the style.
    I'm probably the wrong one to go explaining the mechanics and geometry of a razor head, but I think the two and/or three piece razors have a lower profile head than many twist-to-open razors.
    This doesn't make them "better" unless it suits your personal shaving style and blade of choice.

4. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Yep. Boils down to personal preference and which works good for the individual. I've had good shaves from 1, 2 and 3 piece razors. The best came from a 3 piece, but I don't attribute that as the #1 reason why.

5. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I think the two piece is mostly for convenience exchanging blades and the Merkur two and three and the Tech two, three and four piece razors all shave about the same for me. I was somewhat afraid of handling the blade more when loading a three or four piece, but I've since made peace with it and still haven't cut myself on one.

6. ctakim

ctakim Member

I'm a fan of the one piece razors hence my interest in vintage Gillette TTO models. But I have a few 2 and 3 piece razors in the rotation.

7. Corey

Corey Member

I love the lower profile head on my Tech. It makes some of the trickier shave spots, like under the nose, a little easier to get to. There's not a huge difference between the Tech and the TTO's I have, but it's noticeable to me. That and my Tech has quickly become one of my favorite razors out of the whole bunch. I could almost sorta kinda maybe possibly believe for a fraction of half of a quarter of a millisecond that I could sell off everything else and live happily ever after shaving with just my sweet little Tech.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a few razors on fleabay I'm closely following. :D

8. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

You know, one person on the other forum referred to the ball-end Tech as a 'sports car'.
    I think once I put a couple of blades through my re-plated NEW, I'll go back to the Tech for a while.

9. Corey

Corey Member

I'm tryin to get Tracy to pick up a ball-end, but he seems to be resisting any form of RAD. It's amazingly frustrating not to be able to live vicariously through another persons purchases.

I'm damn near half tempted to buy it myself for no other reason than because I love the hell outta mine.

10. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I am not as nuts about my three piece as my once piece. I seem to cut myself on the blades each time I change the blade on the three piece. Don't quite understand why this should make a difference but it seems to make a difference.