Why I use straight razors

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by DylanJohn, Mar 4, 2020.

1. DylanJohn

DylanJohn New Member

Part of why I love using straights is each one in special, has its own story. The razors of mine which are rusted and pited still shave. They have had a life. My mint razors were forged with care and in a time where people took pride in their craft. My Wade and Butchers come from 1820 a time of revolutions! I have razors like one of my Wostenholms which the previous owner carved their name in the scales. It was a different time. When I use a straight I get to participate in that time. I strop, and hone my razors. I clean them of their rust, I make my own lather not stuff shot out of a can. When a razor tugs I know how to fix it. I know which stone to take it to when I want to polish the edge. It's taking the hobby that wet shaving made out of the daily chore while using cartridge razors, and made it a craft.

2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi and welcome.

Straights are my favorite razors because they look cool. I tend to prefer modern artisan made blades. I enjoy the beauty, craftsmanship and it feels good to know that trade continues to live.

It also provides zen time for me, it requires me complete focus, I can not think about anything else.

I get similar results from my safety razors but I give a slight edge to my straights for irritation. We can customize the edge of the blade to our face by our choice of honing stones and style. Straights are the ultimate adjustable.

It feels masculine. In a world that tends towards androgyny and sometimes vilifies masculinity I revel in the fact that shaving with a straight is a truly ‘manly’ activity.

3. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

Welcome from washington state

Trigger likes this.
  4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

Trigger likes this.
  5. Fiorellini

Fiorellini Well-Known Member

Welcome from Belgium.

Trigger likes this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.

7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @DylanJohn

I hope you enjoy it here, many straight razor fans with us. :happy088:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    Trigger likes this.
  8. speedster

speedster Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den! :happy036:

Trigger likes this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Welcome @DylanJohn from here in western NY. Glad you decided to join us at TSD.

:eatdrink013:

Trigger likes this.
  10. atbat82

atbat82 Well-Known Member

Welcome from Connecticut. I couldn't agree more, both about the sense of history of some of these old blades and about the few minutes of zen before I start my day. In age of constant information flow, smart phones, email, social media, etc. It's one of the few times each day where I'm totally focused on one thing and one thing only (maybe I should try meditating...):)

Trigger and speedster like this.
  11. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Shiny Sharp Steel

Ya Gotta love it

Welcome from the woods of North Idaho

Trigger and 178-bplatoon like this.
  12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

Trigger likes this.
  13. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Glad you found us, welcome to TSD!

Trigger likes this.
  14. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

It's how real men shave.

Trigger likes this.
  15. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I use straights because I get great satisfaction in accomplishing something that most men would never dare do. Also, I like that I am continuing an old-time shaving method. I have vintage razors and I wonder about the life of the men who previously used my razors. Finally, it's fun and challenging to shave with a straight razor.

16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Great first post and introduction. Welcome to TSD @DylanJohn