Why soap is better than cream

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Zach, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Zach

Zach New Member

For me there are two solid reasons why:

1. because the lather is hotter
    2. because you get more soap

Cream is essentially soap plus water; water or 'aqua' is the first ingredient in a Trumper for example.
    Triple milled soap makers go to great lengths to remove the water from their soaps.
    The reason why creams exist is that they are faster and easier to lather than soaps.
    With soaps, you essentially add water slowly with a brush, removing soap from a puck, mixing with water, and converting that into a cream.

The effects of adding your own water to your soap are twofold:

First, you need a lot of water with a soap, and since your added water is HOT and it will make your lather hot; since only very little water is needed to lather a cream you don't have the ability to make it hot, warm at best.

Second, since water is cheap, you save money by buying soap and adding your own water to make cream, instead of paying Mr. Trumper to add it for you.

Sure you can try to counteract this by buying a scuttle, but it won't change the basic premises.

2. joscobo

joscobo New Member

After a year of wetshaving I find I prefer soaps for creams. I've always wondered what the difference in production was between creams and soaps. Thanks for clearing that up. Now I have an idea why I prefer soaps as well.

3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I use more creams than soaps, and I use a lot of menthol creams. However, I still use plenty of soaps, and I find them more luxurious than creams.

4. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Don't forget that soap lasts longer than creams do and second since soaps preceeded creams, the soaps are the traditional method. I get a closer shave with creams than I do soaps, but I still need to acknowledge to pitfalls to my preferrence.

5. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Zach,I couldnt be more agree with you.Soaps are much better than creams(normal average) and they perform much better.Well always what works for you its the best and for me are shavesticks.

6. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

For me, I haven't tried a soap that was bad. Some that were just OK. Plus, I've avoided a few notorious bad soaps. Creams OTOH, are very hit and miss for me. I'll buy an occasional cream, but for the most part I'm a soap man.

Creams = May or may not like it and it costs more
    Soaps = Will at least be usable and costs less

7. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I have soaps that are exceptional and creams that are exceptional. Financially I really dont feel cheated by any creams at all but I do not use the .......snooty brands either. Soaps do last longer but when you are considering pennies per shave I really dont give a rats ass. As long as I get a good shave. Right now my most expensive shave per use is T&H and GFT SC. Still worth it also.

8. Justin Low

Justin Low Member

While I agree with your points, I don't think a comparison is fair.

It would like saying apples are better than oranges because they have thinner skin, hence getting you more flesh.

9. Sherlock

Sherlock Member

You can also make sauce, crisp, and pie with apples. :eatdrink020

I do not have a preference, I like some creams and some soap. Maybe I need to expand my soaps and cream collection.

10. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Sorry, gentlemen, I like both. Different characteristics, different equipment (razor, blade, brush, type of lather, etc.), different mood I'm in when I get ready, all have an effect on my shave. To each his or her own. There is simply no way that is more valuable than another. Does a certain way (or variety of ways) of shaving (DE, SE, Straight, cream, soap, stick, boar, badger, synthetic, etc.) work for you and give you pleasure in your daily shave? Yes? Then that is all that matters. :D

11. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

Soap's better as it lasts longer and provides a higher-quality lather.

12. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

What are the "notorious" bad soaps?

13. selhov

selhov New Member

myself i tend to use more soap than creams, i like the working out at producing a great lather i find myself making lather with soap more rewarding, also i like the soap at the bottom of my shave mug where as i have to add the cream,make shure ife added enough,the soap is thair and you just go at it making as litttle or as mutch as you like of lather, mind you i dont knock all creams,thair ar some great ones out thair but soap for me firstly.secondly shave stick,s then the creams,what is intoresting is we all have your way of going about wet shaving.

14. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Conditioner is better. It goes on last and leaves the hair silky and smooth.

I can't take sides here. :)

15. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

The one that's standing out to me right now is Caswell Massey. I also avoid small vendor soaps without a solid following on the shaving forums. I'm sure I could get more specific if I looked around at some vendor sites to jog my memory.

16. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

The reason why creams exist is that they are faster and easier to lather than soaps.

Is there anything wrong with this?

17. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

Stop lookin' at me, swan!!!

18. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Not in my world, Fozz. I love the Tabac soap and recently just tried the cream. Love it too and with less work. Just a drop of cream into my brush and start face lathering. Good to go. It's always good to have options. :)

19. Moe

Moe Active Member

This is a complete personal preferance thing. Lately I like creams better,,,,, after a while i'll probably drift back to soaps,,,,, then back to creams,,,,,,,, etc. etc.

20. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

I hear ya man. We have heaps of options too.